AVS Forum banner

5821 - 5840 of 6446 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Many business are facing challenges right now reaching and monetizing their customers. There are some megatrends afoot though that should really benefit a copy like Kaleidescape in the long run with their focus being to provide entertainment in the home. That' should be major for a while to come.

Even once the stay at home orders lift, I think it is going take time before people venture out in groups or crowds. Cinemas are probably going to really struggle for some time ahead. And as everyone considers adjustments to their lives going forward, improving entertainment experiences at home, you would think, will be valuable business.

Lots of shoulds and coulds there of course.

I can say too, we have watched a lot more movies that we were consuming prior to the stay at home orders.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't think they have mass market in mind either (that's AppleTV territory) but I'm sure they need to grow their revenue stream and new customers are a way to get that. I doubt that their existing customer buying additional movies is all they need to stay afloat.
I can only speak for myself, but with new 4K Pixar releases, the Star Wars releases, the Bond releases and all the new “early releases” from Kaleidescape, this past month has been BY FAR the biggest monthly spend for me. I don’t begrudge any of it - I hope K continues adding new content because I will continue to purchase it.

John

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
Speaking of Kaleidescape, I just watxhed ‘Uncut Gems’ last night. I liked it a lot but was hard to watch - the guys life was a disaster and was more painful to watch the longer the show went... but wow - what an ending!

My only knock us a picture quite look like a piece of *****. Way over-stylized... sound (Atmos) was a solid 7/10.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could someone help me out. I have 1917 hdr downloaded. I also wanted the hd version as that has the atmos track. I can’t seem to find where I can do that?

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Could someone help me out. I have 1917 hdr downloaded. I also wanted the hd version as that has the atmos track. I can’t seem to find where I can do that?
Click on the movie (in the Store). Click Download. It will tell you it was already downloaded, but click on (change) - to the right of the HDR symbol. You can then select HD and download that version. You can unselect HDR as you have already downloaded. SJ

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
Click on the movie (in the Store). Click Download. It will tell you it was already downloaded, but click on (change) - to the right of the HDR symbol. You can then select HD and download that version. You can unselect HDR as you have already downloaded. SJ
Or visually...

Attachments

Reactions: SuperFist and SJHT

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Hi all. So the survey feedback has a trickled to a halt. I've taken the results from here, Kaleidescape Owners Forum, and the Kaleidescape Facebook Users Group, reviewing everything and binned all the feedback into custom plus and delta categories. Here are those results charted out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,143 Posts
Hi all. So the survey feedback has a trickled to a halt. I've taken the results from here, Kaleidescape Owners Forum, and the Kaleidescape Facebook Users Group, reviewing everything and binned all the feedback into custom plus and delta categories. Here are those results charted out.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. It would be really nice if Kscape opened up communication and it wasn't only one-way from clients/owners.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thank you, JaremyP!

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
The reality K has been aware of the negatives for a long time - MA since UV first announced their conclusion of services, and the immersive audio issue for years. They know their price point limits potential customer pool (yet they instituted two price increases in a year)

It's not like they're hearing anything revalatory here. So while it's nice it's been articulated a bit more with this survey, K certainly doesn't need the result or spend time "reviewing" them - the concerns about missing features and future viability have been articulated here and on the KScape owners forum by many people for years.

K - Start by explaining the issue regarding missing immersive codecs. It seems highly unlikely that the studios would enter into agreement with K to sell their movies at the highest video quality available, trust their security and distribution method, but then withhold the immersive codecs for UHD titles for no reason. So whats the reason, and is it going to get fixed. I've been lied to about this for more than year, including quite recently (that the updated files are in hand, being tested, being uploaded, blah blah blah..).

K - Then let us know why UV was fine, but MA is not. And knowing what I know, please don't blame MA. For them, the more the merrier...

JaremeyP, you seem like a nice and genuine guy, and appreciated our talk on the phone - if you're doing this as a true ombudsman, that's great and appreciated.

I'm just too familiar with the admins at the KScape owners forum (and the internal tactics at K itself), to not possess some skepticism that this is not another launch of delaying countermeasures by K...

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
^^^ If, as you suspect, Kscape’s failure to include digital rights with its sales is K’s own fault, I feel a bit better about my brand disloyalty these days. I have stopped buying films from the Kscape store when I can buy them with digital rights from any one of a number of streaming services.

I have had a combined digital library with my daughter and son in law for a number of years. Thus, depriving them of the ability to watch what I buy from the comfort of their own home is something I don’t do anymore. For example, I recently bought Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in 4K Atmos quality from Vudu. That way it is part of our digital library, which it would not have been if I had bought the film from Kscape.

It’s true that the quality of both Kscape’s video and audio are superior to the streamed version. That said, though, streamed 4K Atmos is quite good these days, so I will happily live with the (slight) inferiority of streaming quality. The net effect of all this is that I will be spending no more money at Kscape for any purpose until and unless they start including digital rights again.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
So for those of us who aren’t in the “know” what do you “know” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That they are not willing/able to afford giving up the movie sales profits. Which implies a tenuous business model to me when you're selling HW systems costing several to tens of thousand dollars.

Reactions: Kris Deering

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
The reality K has been aware of the negatives for a long time - MA since UV first announced their conclusion of services, and the immersive audio issue for years. They know their price point limits potential customer pool (yet they instituted two price increases in a year)

It's not like they're hearing anything revelatory here.

That is probably a very accurate assessment.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
That they are not willing/able to afford giving up the movie sales profits. Which implies a tenuous business model to me when you're selling HW systems costing several to tens of thousand dollars.
I am not aware of Kaleidescape's willingness being a factor. Historical evidence is counter to such a theory, as well. It doesn't compute that Kaleidescape was happily a partner in Ultraviolet, but would deliberately hold out of MA.

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Seems that the issue is many folks would purchase the digital codes and then go and download K full res copies that K spends time/$s creating. They also may have studio minimums that they have to meet. Who knows. The store profits really is the bread and butter for K. Not hardware IMHO. Everyone seems against only allowing MA access only IF you purchase from K vs. from elsewhere like VUDU. Also may go against the MA model which is likely why K may never be asked to join. There are also studios not participating in MA and it may get worse. SJ

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
^^^ If, as you suspect, Kscape’s failure to include digital rights with its sales is K’s own fault, I feel a bit better about my brand disloyalty these days. I have stopped buying films from the Kscape store when I can buy them with digital rights from any one of a number of streaming services.

I have had a combined digital library with my daughter and son in law for a number of years. Thus, depriving them of the ability to watch what I buy from the comfort of their own home is something I don’t do anymore. For example, I recently bought Star Trek: The Rise of Skywalker in 4K Atmos quality from Vudu. That way it is part of our digital library, which it would not have been if I had bought the film from Kscape.

It’s true that the quality of both Kscape’s video and audio are superior to the streamed version. That said, though, streamed 4K Atmos is quite good these days, so I will happily live with the (slight) inferiority of streaming quality. The net effect of all this is that I will be spending no more money at Kscape for any purpose until and unless they start including digital rights again.
I guess I'm confused...why spend $24.99 just for Vudu's copy of this film, instead of buying the 4K disc for slightly more? You can then watch it in your Oppo in full quality, and you also get a digital copy in 4K in Vudu and HD in iTunes.

5821 - 5840 of 6446 Posts