AVS Forum banner

5861 - 5880 of 6378 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Been answered somewhere else (probably on KOwners site) - but can't be bothered trying to find the post. AFAIR the only connection that it makes is to receive updated "movie guide" details (movie metadata). Other than that - no the playback of files does not require to contact the "mother ship". All the security measures of ownership are contained within the Kaleidescape units/software.
That's certainly reassuring to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let me ask this. If full blown MA doesn't pan out, for whatever reason you conceive, but Kaleidescape were to offer a code or token or something that allowed a store purchase to be redeemed at another retailer, would that make folks happy?
This would be excellent and would be similar to purchasing a shiny disk. The rights could be with either Google or Itunes, and depending on the movie it may be part of MA. This would allow for any of the purchases (and for me specifically children's movies) to have portability on the way that they typically consume. I would prefer two way MA support with about 80 titles currently, but I would be happy with codes and/or a K streaming app that would allow me to consume via other vehicles. The part that is truly difficult, is to receive a slightly better presentation with no blu-ray/digital rights that are currently be sold with 4k combo disks at similar if not cheaper prices. This would go a long way to putting that issue to rest!

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
... Now if only Ferrari could build a new super car that doesn't start at $250,000 for the price of a Honda....

You guys have to get over this. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
... Now if only Ferrari could build a new super car that doesn't start at $250,000 for the price of a Honda....

You guys have to get over this. :D
in fairness, the gas costs materially the same in Honda or the Ferrari and that is more of the point. Hardware prices aside, the movie shouldn't be priced with less bells and whistles. Most here, including myself this past week have bit the bullet on the hardware or multiple pieces of it.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
in fairness, the gas costs materially the same in Honda or the Ferrari and that is more of the point. Hardware prices aside, the movie shouldn't be priced with less bells and whistles. Most here, including myself this past week have bit the bullet on the hardware or multiple pieces of it.
Analogies aren’t perfect and neither is K. But it’s darn well close to it.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure, all my K gear was bought used as it's too rich for my blood :D!

MA would be great, buy honestly, for me, it wouldn't change my viewing habits at all

·
Registered
83 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure, all my K gear was bought used as it's too rich for my blood :D!

MA would be great, buy honestly, for me, it wouldn't change my viewing habits at all
Both my Alto and DV700 were purchased used from other users and just the Strato was purchased new recently. MA won't change MY viewing habits, but it would increase sales from our family as the kids expect to be able to consume in areas that aren't the main theater room. We also are lucky enough to have a second place, and it would be great that movie rights bought on K were able to viewed through another medium at the summer location. One day I may pick up another used Alto to accomplish the same, but would much prefer to be able to do so with the Apple TVs we already own.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Hi Jeremy:

I am owner:

Top 3 things about ownership

1)Quality of Video

2)Speed and convenience of Download Bit for Bit

3)GUI\Ease of use and reliability.

Top 3 Things I'd like to see changed in order of priority

1)Major issue with Immersive audio not being available when they are available 4K shiny disc

2)Would like to see rental options

3)Would like to see day and date

4)Would like to see better communication from Kscape to owners, your compiling information to Kscape. Perhaps 2 way communication.

Potential Owner

I love the many many attributes but will NEVER own until feel my collection is safe regardless of K’s future. I WOULD pay the asking price now or maybe even more if this major issue of ownership and immersive audio was straightened out.

Negatives

1. Immersive Audio
2. Rental Option even at slightly higher rates
3. I want to physically own my movies if something happens to K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Potential Owner

I love the many many attributes but will NEVER own until feel my collection is safe regardless of K’s future. I WOULD pay the asking price now or maybe even more if this major issue of ownership and immersive audio was straightened out.

Negatives

1. Immersive Audio
2. Rental Option even at slightly higher rates
3. I want to physically own my movies if something happens to K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And you’ll continue to be a non-owner!:D

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I'm pretty sure it does a license check before playback. Maybe not always, but I'd be shocked if the answer was never. Has anyone tried running a Strato that is disconnected from the Internet for an extended period of time? That would most likely settle this.
Great question and I'm not sure if there's any kind of time limit to be honest, BUT when I've had internet outages for extended periods of time, my Terra and Stratos have always kept humming right along without skipping a beat. VERY, VERY nice to have at those times because streaming is obviously out of the question then. :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great question and I'm not sure if there's any kind of time limit to be honest, BUT when I've had internet outages for extended periods of time, my Terra and Stratos have always kept humming right along without skipping a beat. VERY, VERY nice to have at those times because streaming is obviously out of the question then. :cool:

Once the movies are downloaded to the Strato/Terra there is absolutely no farther “check in” or authorization required. The files on your local hardware are encrypted, so they can’t be exported. This is well proven - especially in the marine (yacht) market where K has a presence as well and the hardware tends to be disconnected for long periods of time.

If you bought the movie and it’s on your hardware, then you can play it forever. If you delete it from your library you’re currently dependent on the K store to be able to download it again in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is great news! My summary:

1. NBCUniversal new releases will be provided with Dolby Atmos.
2. Back fill of NBCUniversal titles will follow.
3. First Fox title has been processed and is in review thanks to help from Disney team.
4. No timeline for release of Fox titles yet due to COVID-19.

John

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Downloading updates now.

Still hadn’t seem Hobbs and Shaw. Now I will in Atmos!

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
I filled up my Strato 12 TB and 2 Cinema One's (second gen) with movie purchases and checked into a Terra Server 40 TB: MSRP is over $16k
to me the cost of the hardware is not going to be sustainable in this economy :(

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I filled up my Strato 12 TB and 2 Cinema One's (second gen) with movie purchases and checked into a Terra Server 40 TB: MSRP is over $16k
to me the cost of the hardware is not going to be sustainable in this economy :(
Agree totally - lots of talk elsewhere recently about strategies employed in maintaining a collection/viewing experience with K and the high cost of expansion. With increased download speeds for many (one user on Kscape Owners reporting in excess of 800Mbps - a full UHD download in under 15 minutes :eek:), some are moving toward delete/download models. Certainly with my increased speed of 200Mbps, I can download a movie in around 45 minutes - therefore it's less of priority to have the title on my download device and can be ready by the time it takes to prepare dinner and warm up the HT.

Not for everyone and I appreciate there is "gamble" inherent in such a strategy - that should K go under - movies not downloaded to the players will become redundant and lost, but it's one I'm likely willing to take going forward.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
This is great news! My summary:

1. NBCUniversal new releases will be provided with Dolby Atmos.
2. Back fill of NBCUniversal titles will follow.
3. First Fox title has been processed and is in review thanks to help from Disney team.
4. No timeline for release of Fox titles yet due to COVID-19.

John
Downloading updates now.

Still hadn’t seem Hobbs and Shaw. Now I will in Atmos!
Its official - I am ditching the shiny discs in favor of K.

Hobbs is awesome... popcorn and mindless fun but great.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Let me ask this. If full blown MA doesn't pan out, for whatever reason you conceive, but Kaleidescape were to offer a code or token or something that allowed a store purchase to be redeemed at another retailer, would that make folks happy?
Wonder if this quote from Cheena (in response to a question over MA) over at Kaleidescape Owners forum, is laying the foundation for a system similar to the above?

"We don't comment on rumors, speculation, or concerns, and certainly not in a public forum. I can assure you that we understand your desire for the portability of purchased titles across devices and services. I can also confirm that we're making progress albeit not as fast as you wish, and perhaps not exactly the way you want the problem solved. Please understand that when we can't say something, it is implied that there isn't anything meaningful to share."

5861 - 5880 of 6378 Posts