AVS Forum banner

5881 - 5900 of 6446 Posts

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
Its official - I am ditching the shiny discs in favor of K.

Hobbs is awesome... popcorn and mindless fun but great.
Hey Ash... yes, discs be gone!! :D

I’m looking forward to some mindless fun!

Hey, I haven’t updated the Radiance yet but I saw there were some fixes in auto-aspect ratio.

Notice anything?

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Hey Ash... yes, discs be gone!! :D

Notice anything?
Recommend the update big time.... hurry.

Can't out my finger on the AR masking for us Crestron Users

Watched Westworld latest episode and the masking did the thing with changing AR but like 90% of the time so my comment is - improved but not perfect.

I posted to Jim Peterson - about us Crestron users but he did not respond so I am thinking it is was not done.

K is getting their act together - movies like Underwater offered in HDR and not even available on 4K on disc - immersive audio expanding - there is a Terra in my future.

Enjoy Hobbs...

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
Recommend the update big time.... hurry.

Can't out my finger on the AR masking for us Crestron Users

Watched Westworld latest episode and the masking did the thing with changing AR but like 90% of the time so my comment is - improved but not perfect.

I posted to Jim Peterson - about us Crestron users but he did not respond so I am thinking it is was not done.

K is getting their act together - there is a Terra in my future.

Enjoy Hobbs...
Thanks! On my agenda today.

I just picked up another StrAto on eBay (6TB $$2300). I have now 36 TB of storage. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Agree totally - lots of talk elsewhere recently about strategies employed in maintaining a collection/viewing experience with K and the high cost of expansion. With increased download speeds for many (one user on Kscape Owners reporting in excess of 800Mbps - a full UHD download in under 15 minutes :eek:), some are moving toward delete/download models. Certainly with my increased speed of 200Mbps, I can download a movie in around 45 minutes - therefore it's less of priority to have the title on my download device and can be ready by the time it takes to prepare dinner and warm up the HT.

Not for everyone and I appreciate there is "gamble" inherent in such a strategy - that should K go under - movies not downloaded to the players will become redundant and lost, but it's one I'm likely willing to take going forward.
I was just coming to reply to @markrubin with this idea. You don't have to buy the Terra. Just manage your local content against your larger library of content in the system. Using a Kaleidescape does not require 100% of your library accessible locally (unless you're on that super yacht).

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Wonder if this quote from Cheena (in response to a question over MA) over at Kaleidescape Owners forum, is laying the foundation for a system similar to the above?

"We don't comment on rumors, speculation, or concerns, and certainly not in a public forum. I can assure you that we understand your desire for the portability of purchased titles across devices and services. I can also confirm that we're making progress albeit not as fast as you wish, and perhaps not exactly the way you want the problem solved. Please understand that when we can't say something, it is implied that there isn't anything meaningful to share."
Hmm... :)

I'll say, we are being very much heard by Kaleidescape and I'm really excited about future prospects.

·
Registered
24,704 Posts
Jeff and Ash so glad you guys are getting the maximum enjoyment from Kaleidescape. I gave Jeff some advice some months back primarily expressing the considerations I had regarding Kaleidescape's viability ,looks like I was wrong pretty much on everything I mentioned, and that's a good thing.

Mostly going through Bond in 4K so far Angela and I have watched five of them with our new favorite drink, the Duvall Crawl, if you have been to Key West you may have had it ,you just don't realize the amount of ethanol you are downing however, but maybe that's the idea.;)

Art

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Jeff and Ash so glad you guys are getting the maximum enjoyment from Kaleidescape.

Art
Art,
Yes.... I have had the Premier since many years and a couple of Stratos S's since they came out.
Was holding on from getting a Terra as could not decide If I will go all in with K on 4K.
But with todays announcement and the speed at which K downloads happen and my age - I don't want to rat pack movies anymore, I just buy them when I am ready to watch them - I will go all in with K.
So maybe I will buy another Stratos when storage runs out.
Another advantage K has is that many titles which come at the K Store are not on disc and sometimes not in 4.
Hope all is well with you and family - stay safe.
Ash

·
Registered
21,198 Posts
Downloading updates now.

Still hadn’t seem Hobbs and Shaw. Now I will in Atmos!
I watched Hobbs & Shaw on HBO earlier this week and thought it was really good, 8 Stars out of 10. I particularly enjoyed Vanessa Kirby (Princess Margaret in The Crown). You won’t regret having bought the high test version from the Kscape store.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Glad that lack of immersive audio from Fox and universal will become from the past this year great things happen

Add MGM
Add bond movies
Add relativity media
Resolve the immersive audio issue from Fox and universal

Great thing happen fast and hope more WHY NOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,184 Posts
I just want to add my thoughts about K.

I have had a 10TB Strato for about 2 years now, and I loved it when UV was still around. With the end of UV, and the concern about K’s long term stability, I have been hesitant to buy many titles on the K store for fear of having them locked into a close system.

About two month ago I decided to buy an Alto, so I could do “disc to digital” offers and upgrades. It also allowed me to move many HD only movies off my Strato and leave the Strato HDD for 4K HDR only.

The ability to load a Blu-ray into the Alto and either convert it to Digital HD or upgrade to 4K HDR at a discounted price is really nice. I then decided to pickup a DV700 for my Blu-ray Disc that didn’t offer “disc to digital”.

The way the DV700 works with the Alto is great. It doesn’t “rip” the movies to the HDD, but instead plays the disc directly from the DV700, leaving all the HDD space available for HD movie store downloads. So the DV700 with the Alto really works as a 320 bluray changer. There is only a short maybe 10 second delay to start playing the disc in the vault, but besides that, it plays just as if it was copied to HDD. It can start right from the movie, skipping all the opening warnings and additional junk, and it has direct scene access just like the movie downloads.

If K can’t sort out the Movies Anywhere issue, or the lack of immersive audio on some titles, it would be so nice to see a 4K disc vault that could work with the Strato, just as the Alto does. It wouldn’t have to rip the movies, which then doesn’t require a server with massive hard drive space.

With that setup, movies that have Atmos could be bought directly from K, but for titles where they don’t have 3D codecs, you could load those 4K disc in a vault, no disc ripping required. That would allow for seamless operation between K movie downloads and physical 4K Blu-rays with their great user interface. That also would allow the digital codes that are sold with the physical disc to be redeemed and shared with family thru iTunes or Vudu, etc.

I love the K interface, and would love to see a 4K disc vault. Again, I have no interest having it work like the old premier systems, where every movie has to be ripped to hard drive. Just allow the vault to play the disc, acting as a 320 disc 4K Blu-ray changer and leave the HDD space available for K store purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Both my Alto and DV700 were purchased used from other users and just the Strato was purchased new recently. MA won't change MY viewing habits, but it would increase sales from our family as the kids expect to be able to consume in areas that aren't the main theater room. We also are lucky enough to have a second place, and it would be great that movie rights bought on K were able to viewed through another medium at the summer location. One day I may pick up another used Alto to accomplish the same, but would much prefer to be able to do so with the Apple TVs we already own.
I have a Terra Server 40TB and Strato C player.

I have lots of 4k discs for which Ultraviolet only transferred blu rays to Kaleidescape - probably 150 or so, and I have a Pioneer UDP- LX500 player for those, as well as for hundreds of blu rays which didn't have Ultraviolet and didn't transfer over. I've got a lot of concert blu ray discs and it would be especially nice to have them ported over to Kaleidescape.

So getting a used Alto and DV700 intriques me.

Re the Alto, the blu ray/dvd/CD player, my websearch indicates it has storage for about 100 blu rays. Is this correct? Is this storage only for movies purchased from Kaleidescape? Or can one rip blu ray discs using the DV700? What was the msrp of the Alto? In what year did the Alto come out as a product?

Re the DV700 disc vault: I understand it has storage for up to about 320 blu rays. For those blu rays which have digital offers I can pay the extra $$ fee and port those onto my Kaleidescape system. For those blu rays that do not have digital offers I can play them direct from the DV700. Is this correct? What was the msrp of the DV700? In what year did the DV700 come out as a product.

What about the M700 disc vault. What's the differences with the DV700 disc vault?

I understand that if I get the Kaleidescape CoStar than the Alto and DV700 blu rays will work with my existing Kaleidescape system. Is this correct? What is the msrp? If I play a blu ray via Alto or DV700 and its in the Kaleidescape system thanks to CoStar, can I then access everything simply using my Strato C player? Or do I have separate HDMI connections for Alto and DV700 to my Lumagen Radiance Pro? And I understand there's an upgrade to the Radiance Pro to work with CoStar - is this software only, at what msrp, or also hardware?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
Glad that lack of immersive audio from Fox and universal will become from the past this year great things happen

Add MGM
Add bond movies
Add relativity media
Resolve the immersive audio issue from Fox and universal

Great thing happen fast and hope more WHY NOT

Did I miss a formal announcement that immersive audio is now official from 20th Century and Universal? Or is everyone assuming this because of H&S?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Did I miss a formal announcement that immersive audio is now official from 20th Century and Universal? Or is everyone assuming this because of H&S?
Yes clearly missed the official announcement - there is a link earlier in the thread to Cheena's post on Kaleidescape Owners forum.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts

I have lots of 4k discs for which Ultraviolet only transferred blu rays to Kaleidescape - probably 150 or so, and I have a Pioneer UDP- LX500 player for those, as well as for hundreds of blu rays which didn't have Ultraviolet and didn't transfer over. I've got a lot of concert blu ray discs and it would be especially nice to have them ported over to Kaleidescape.

Re the Alto, the blu ray/dvd/CD player, my websearch indicates it has storage for about 100 blu rays. Is this correct? Is this storage only for movies purchased from Kaleidescape? Or can one rip blu ray discs using the DV700? What was the msrp of the Alto? In what year did the Alto come out as a product?

Re the DV700 disc vault: I understand it has storage for up to about 320 blu rays. For those blu rays which have digital offers I can pay the extra $$ fee and port those onto my Kaleidescape system. For those blu rays that do not have digital offers I can play them direct from the DV700. Is this correct? What was the msrp of the DV700? In what year did the DV700 come out as a product.

What about the M700 disc vault. What's the differences with the DV700 disc vault?

I understand that if I get the Kaleidescape CoStar than the Alto and DV700 blu rays will work with my existing Kaleidescape system. Is this correct? What is the msrp? If I play a blu ray via Alto or DV700 and its in the Kaleidescape system thanks to CoStar, can I then access everything simply using my Strato C player? Or do I have separate HDMI connections for Alto and DV700 to my Lumagen Radiance Pro? And I understand there's an upgrade to the Radiance Pro to work with CoStar - is this software only, at what msrp, or also hardware?

Thanks.
Alto can have a 4TB or 6TB HD, I think. A 6TB Alto is quoted to hold ~200 HD movies. That would be for movies bought and downloaded from the store. The Alto will not import movies onto the hard drive from a DV700. It will directly play the disc from the DV700 though.

The DV700 holds 320 discs. For a movie in the store with disc-2-digital, you can insert the disc, get the digital offer, buy the movie usually at a reduced price, and now you own it in the store so you can disregard your disc. Note you can do this via the Alto's disc drive. Your ownership rights on Kaleidescape are exactly like you bought that movie normally. For movies you have on disc that are not in the store or do not have D2D available, you can leave those discs in the DV700 and play them directly.

The CoStar integrates the Alto and the Strato together so that you have a single UI across both parts of your Kaleidescape system. So you browse one, unified library. If you start playback on something off the Terra, your Strato C will play it. If you start playback of something stored on the Alto or in the DV700, then the Alto will play it. The CoStar will make all of that 100% seamless. No manual switching required.

You connect the Alto into the CoStar and the Strato into the CoStar. You would then go out of the CoStar into your Lumagen.

Regaring MSRPs, original shipping dates, and advanced details about the CoStar/Lumagen integration, I'm not sure. I'm also not 100% sure on if an M700 works the same way as a DV700, so I won't comment on that either.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Thanks.
The Alto is a discontinued product. I believe Alto was $3.5k. M700 and DV700 are similar from encore perspective, they are just 320 disc changers. If you had a premiere systems (1u or 3U server), then M700 is also a player that you can use to play movies from the server. BTW premiere system allows downloading Blu Ray movies from store as well as import from the vault. But the disks still need to be in the vault. I am not sure of the msrp for M700 or DV700.

The costar switch has 2 versions, one with hardware and one as a software for lumagen. If you use the hardware version, you will connect both your Strato c and alto/premiere player hdmi to a small component and an output goes to your receiver.

If you use lumagen version, then no separate component and u connect both Strato c and alto to your lumagen and your costar lumagen software license takes care of the rest. As far as I know both versions cost the same. Maybe around $700.

When u connect costar, you will see all movies and disks from both systems through your Strato c interface combined. If you select a movie on the alto or in the vault, the output will be through alto. But it’s all seamless to you and the switching is fast. You do not have to do anything else. When the movie is done, the regular Strato c interface is displayed. Very cool and efficient system.

Hope this answered your questions.

·
Registered
693 Posts

I can’t say it’s formal as it’s a post from cheena in owners forum but yes thing become from past about this issue and if i understand correct there is a title from Fox will land soon in the store

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
I can’t say it’s formal as it’s a post from cheena in owners forum but yes thing become from past about this issue and if i understand correct there is a title from Fox will land soon in the store

Well, I would take a public statement from the CEO as reasonable official.... great news!!

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What happens when the service goes down or completely under. Do you get to actually own all the movies you bought? Will they be forever trapped on that one device they downloaded to?
They remain on the device, but are still accessible until the hardware fails- should this happen.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
They remain on the device, but are still accessible until the hardware fails- should this happen.
I presume you have to use their replacement hard drives, or can you user certain enterprise class drives available elsewhere?

5881 - 5900 of 6446 Posts