AVS Forum banner

6021 - 6040 of 6374 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I am inquiring about Top Gun Atmos status.

I'll also ask about those prices. Pure awesome if it's a unilateral reduction.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
So the Disney and Fox pricing changes (them being the same company now) were driven by those companies, not Kaleidescape, and seem to be indicative of a new pricing strategy. There's not a way to predict what else they may do or change, but overall this is good news for us.

I hope WB and Paramount see this and follow it too. I also wonder if we'll see Disney 4k titles appearing on iTunes as a pricing stand-off with Apple is what has held that back. Interesting times. Perhaps all influenced by COVID and changing market situations.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Top Gun update with Atmos track is coming. Will be available, best case, later this week, FYI.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Top Gun update with Atmos track is coming. Will be available, best case, later this week, FYI.
Saweeet!

I’ll hold off watching.

Hope it’s a big improvement over DTS. The current track is compressed and lifeless on my rig... even at exceedingly high volumes.

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just watched Air Force One which I believe was recently updated to HDR with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. OMG the soundtrack is amazing with the planes flying around the room. SJ

Was just check when I post about hunger game and it was not updated looking now it’s updated and jump on it

Edit: I meant Top Gun ATMOS updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Top Gun is updated with Atmos now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As much as I really want to get these (Top Gun, War of the Worlds, Days of Thunder) on the Kscape, I just can't justify spending $34.99 each when I can get the disc versions for $19.99 or less.
Totally agree. When they go on sale 50/50 at sub $25, 100% below $20, I'll buy.

·
Premium Member
23,894 Posts
As much as I really want to get these (Top Gun, War of the Worlds, Days of Thunder) on the Kscape, I just can't justify spending $34.99 each when I can get the disc versions for $19.99 or less.
UHD4K , Dolby Vision, HDR10, Dolby Atmos from Vudu at 12.99!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
UHD4K , Dolby Vision, HDR10, Dolby Atmos from Vudu at 12.99!
While I have no need for DolbyVision in the theater, it would be nice if this were a future option feature for K

And while streamers have made up quality ground (Apple having the best quality in my eyes), there is still a visual and audible delta favoring K.

Ultimately you don't evaluate K only from a raw dollar perspective (just like we really dont do so with our overall theater expenditures). Without heavy calculus, if you can afford it, it is broadly "worth it", provided they hit all the key marks (disc-equivalent immersive codecs being top of the list - and finally starting to flesh out it seems), increased studio support, and some library extension/protection (MA or whatever Cheena is cooking up). Title premiums to a degree I can accept, but mid $30's for an 80's film is a bit much. But ease of disclose library access, no rolling-your-own-ripping, GUI, multi-room support, are quite nice.

If they continue to hit all the marks...

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Premium Member
23,894 Posts
While I have no need for DolbyVision in the theater, it would be nice if this were a future option feature for K

And while streamers have made up quality ground (Apple having the best quality in my eyes), there is still a visual and audible delta favoring K.

Ultimately you don't evaluate K only from a raw dollar perspective (just like we really dont do so with our overall theater expenditures). Without heavy calculus, if you can afford it, it is broadly "worth it", provided they hit all the key marks (disc-equivalent immersive codecs being top of the list - and finally starting to flesh out it seems), increased studio support, and some library extension/protection (MA or whatever Cheena is cooking up). Title premiums to a degree I can accept, but mid $30's for an 80's film is a bit much. But ease of disclose library access, no rolling-your-own-ripping, GUI, multi-room support, are quite nice.

If they continue to hit all the marks...
I would agree with you for the most part but the KScape is 4 or 5 year old technology now and the Nvidia Pro Shield (newest) has caught it and surpassed it with 1080p material and it’s excellent up scaling. It also bitstreams! I know someone who bought one two weeks ago and is returning it. Mainly for what you described but also image and sound are matched. I also almost bought a KScape twice and I definitely have zero regret. Especially at their cost per movie and the convenience of us watching it wherever we want after the theater viewing. Some will say who watches movies more than once well with kids that happens a lot.

I haven’t posted here or even checked this thread for a long time but glancing and seeing the price of Top Gun I felt compelled to. Someone is severely short-sighted and doesn’t get the market. It has definitely evolved and they aren’t moving with it. As over priced as the equipment is they should make movies on par with their competition. Even though Vudu and Apple and others do not consider KScape competition. And anyone here thinking if and when KScape goes away that Apple will take over their library.... How many of the others have Apple taken over for in the past? Exactly....

Price increases and others attempting to sell units close to cost are signs the writing is on the wall. The only ones who will argue are dealers who have a vested interest in the product or KScape die hards who will ride it until the wheels fall off. Four years ago it was the premier service but in 2020 after many “ideas” that never materialized and many other options for far less it......

6021 - 6040 of 6374 Posts