AVS Forum banner

6041 - 6060 of 6363 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
I also almost bought a KScape twice and I definitely have zero regret.
You can chose any equipment you like, but arguing against something when you don't own it yourself smells like trolling. If you can't tell the difference between K and upscaling then be happy. For some of us, it's just not good enough.

·
Premium Member
23,894 Posts
You can chose any equipment you like, but arguing against something when you don't own it yourself smells like trolling. If you can't tell the difference between K and upscaling then be happy. For some of us, it's just not good enough.
I’ve done extensive A/B testing so I know. And yes maybe 4 or 5 years ago it was definitely with better sound and slightly better visually. Just not today. And you didn’t read my post correctly. Nvidia can upscale 1080p and make it look amazing. Better than any 1080p upscaling I have seen from high end blu ray players. Straight up 4K HDR10 with Atmos matches the KScape. I get it you made the choice to invest in KScape so you spoke with your wallet. Sorry for delivering the news about something matching it...

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I’ve done extensive A/B testing so I know. And yes maybe 4 or 5 years ago it was definitely with better sound and slightly better visually. Just not today. And you didn’t read my post correctly. Nvidia can upscale 1080p and make it look amazing. Better than any 1080p upscaling I have seen from high end blu ray players. Straight up 4K HDR10 with Atmos matches the KScape. I get it you made the choice to invest in KScape so you spoke with your wallet. Sorry for delivering the news about something matching it...
When you say "Straight up 4K HDR10 with Atmos matches the KScape." are you talking about Bluray 4K player source with shiny 4K disc (which I agree with) or Nvidia Streaming of 4K content from Vudu(which I disagree with)

·
Registered
665 Posts
When you say "Straight up 4K HDR10 with Atmos matches the KScape." are you talking about Bluray 4K player source with shiny 4K disc (which I agree with) or Nvidia Streaming of 4K content from Vudu(which I disagree with)

From what I understand he mean BD disc upscaled to 4k is match native 4k HDR in K which I don’t get it and don’t want to argue about someone preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah! Just came to post that in fact.

There's some REALLY good Atmos reference scenes in there to show off your setups. ;)

$40 for the whole collection is a steal. Personally, I really enjoyed the series and have them all in my Kscape collection. :cool:

Will start the joy this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
For those that have both the K version and UHD disc, and have some time/interest, take a look at Blade Runner 2049 on K and your player (no player tone mapping or enhancements, just straight HDR out)

This was mentioned to me by a fellow AVS’r, and sure enough, the K version is not as good as the disc. This is rare I suppose, but can happen. K version is grainer, has some contouring issues, and I found it was a bit darker overall vs the Panasonic 820/disc playback. The mezzanine file is in the basement on this title!

I’ve reported to K requesting they look into it and re-encode; if other see this as well, might be helpful to report it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For those that have both the K version and UHD disc, and have some time/interest, take a look at Blade Runner 2049 on K and your player (no player tone mapping or enhancements, just straight HDR out)

This was mentioned to me by a fellow AVS’r, and sure enough, the K version is not as good as the disc. This is rare I suppose, but can happen. K version is grainer, has some contouring issues, and I found it was a bit darker overall vs the Panasonic 820/disc playback. The mezzanine file is in the basement on this title!

I’ve reported to K requesting they look into it and re-encode; if other see this as well, might be helpful to report it.
Wonder if that is a candidate to be updated and how they go about it? Maybe having it reported is exactly how that works. I never noticed this before but I was looking around the store tonight and saw an "Update" section. I checked it, and I had 4 titles available for update for "audio and video improvements." Those were Deepwater Horizon, Alpha and John Wick 1 and 2.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I've inquired about the Blade Runner 2049 encode just now. Will post again when I know more.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Reactions: gwsat

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Some Kaleidescape Movie Titles are going up! $39.99 for Scoob! with no Digital Rights. No Thanks!

https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/movie/scoob-2020
This is a theatrical release from Warner, the first of it's kind. Warner is not increasing prices unilaterally. This is was bumped to $39.99 because it's a day-and-date release.

If you check elsewhere, you will see this title today is being marked up everywhere. iTunes charges $19.99 for 4k new release movies, but SCOOB! costs $24.99 there. That's a 25% increase in price.

On Kaleidescape, Warner new titles are usually $36.99. This is $39.99, which is only an 8% increase.

And before any complaints, there's no Atmos for this title on Kaleidescape. There's no Atmos for this title on iTunes nor Vudu either, so it's probably not getting an Atmos track at all.

EDIT: I've confirmed with Kaleidescape, there is no expectation that SCOOB! will get an Atmos update.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
The Blade Runner 2049 encode is being actively investigated by Kaleidescape now, FYI.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Reactions: gwsat

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Hard to imagine sitting through 'Scoob' at any age... I'd pay $0.39... Err, maybe not.. :D! And I loved Scooby Doo as a kid!
We've just started watching some Scooby in our house with the direct to home films and the original show. My 7YO is on the edge of his seat loving these.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
6041 - 6060 of 6363 Posts