AVS Forum banner

6161 - 6180 of 6385 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Good Update.

Do you know if K will release movies such as 'The High Note' being released direct to home on Roku - Xfinity - Vudu etc?

Thanks.
Likely coming, no date known.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Any update on Jaws 4K HDR?
Coming, but no date yet. My personal expectation (not speaking for Kaleidescape) is I don't expect it to be long.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Well, not long at all, LOL. Jaws 4k went live and with Atmos.

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
485 Posts
Did Jaws disappear for anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts

It’s removed and will come back maybe it was adding before the release date I am lucky and download it but still not open my system to watch

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Mine also downloaded last night When will Jaws the revenge be available in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos? Just kidding....

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts

I saw it last night too for the upgrade price of $11.99 with Atmos. I'd expect it back early next week at the latest. Maybe there was some issue with it in the store so they had to temporarily pull it or it accidentally went live too early.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
All,

I have been considering a Kscape system but my thoughts are that as internet speeds continue to increase I see the movie streaming services following music and offering full 4K blu-ray quality audio and video streams in the future. I purchase 4K discs now and have about 550 movies on Vudu (most are 4K Atmos but obviously crappy streaming quality).

Any comments on this theory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
I saw it last night too for the upgrade price of $11.99 with Atmos. I'd expect it back early next week at the latest. Maybe there was some issue with it in the store so they had to temporarily pull it or it accidentally went live too early.
I snagged a Jaws HDR / Atmos download before it was pulled. Thanks for the heads up! :D

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
All,

I have been considering a Kscape system but my thoughts are that as internet speeds continue to increase I see the movie streaming services following music and offering full 4K blu-ray quality audio and video streams in the future. I purchase 4K discs now and have about 550 movies on Vudu (most are 4K Atmos but obviously crappy streaming quality).

Any comments on this theory?

Apple, Amazon, Vudu, etc. have had plenty of time to date to really push quality in terms of high video bit rates and lossless audio, and none of them have seen fit to provide these quality levels. I'm not aware of any rumoring that such quality levels are coming nor planned. It could be argued that the quality they do provide is good enough for the masses, and the mass market is who these companies cater too.

Anything could happen of course. It seems obvious to us that they would want to push quality if they wanted to, but we are a niche user base. AV1 and newer codecs are coming as well, which could change things.

When it comes to technology, the best advice is often to buy what you need/want based on what is available today, not what may (or may not) come eventually. There's always something to wait for and a potential new trend around the corner. In the meantime, you could enjoy days, months, or years of currently available technology.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Saw the Jaws and I remember when I was young the days of VHS and how I was scared and saw some part of the movie in the glory of HDR and Atmos all what I say it’s MUST to have movie the pic are stunning

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Apple, Amazon, Vudu, etc. have had plenty of time to date to really push quality in terms of high video bit rates and lossless audio, and none of them have seen fit to provide these quality levels. I'm not aware of any rumoring that such quality levels are coming nor planned. It could be argued that the quality they do provide is good enough for the masses, and the mass market is who these companies cater too.

Anything could happen of course. It seems obvious to us that they would want to push quality if they wanted to, but we are a niche user base. AV1 and newer codecs are coming as well, which could change things.

When it comes to technology, the best advice is often to buy what you need/want based on what is available today, not what may (or may not) come eventually. There's always something to wait for and a potential new trend around the corner. In the meantime, you could enjoy days, months, or years of currently available technology.
Agree with some different thoughts. I for one have been QUITE surprised just how good streaming video has been delivered by the bigger services. When 4K video first came out and people were talking about streaming it, I was skeptical to say the least. 1080p streaming services looked bad enough, how was 4K going to be any better. But the implementation of much better compression has changed my opinion completely. I have to applaud the iTunes, Netflix, Vudu and Amazon's for their 4K VIDEO streaming quality. It has surpassed even my wildest expectations. Pre-recorded or Kscape is still better, but I think the gap is MUCH smaller than anyone ever dreamed it could be (so long as you have good bandwidth at home for it).

As for audio and moving to higher quality, I would see it happening as things progress. It would be a way of differentiating services from one another. Netflix already did a jump in quality in the last year and we've already exceeded the bitrates we saw on DVD. If compression continues to improve, we could see that continue to allow better audio, though I don't know if we'll ever get to true lossless like we have with BR and Kscape.

I look at video streaming services like most audio streaming services (Pandora, Apple Music, Spotify). It isn't as good as the pre-recorded or high resolution formats, but it is more than good enough for the average consumer, especially when you add in the convenience and where they consume it. Kscape is more like the Tidal crowd that wants the convenience WITHOUT compromising the quality. They want it all. This is obviously a much smaller consumer base, but hopefully there is enough to keep services like this available. I want quality first and foremost, the convenience of Kscape compared to going pre-recorded is the icing on the cake (that and the availability of content that may never see the light of day on pre-recorded making Kscape the only option for full quality).

·
Registered
468 Posts
The fact that Infinity Wars in HDR+Atmos downloads in 32 minutes, when the movie itself is 2 hours 29 minutes long seems to indicate we could stream full-quality movies if we allowed the first few minutes to be buffered.

Imagine, your K server only having the first 10 minutes of each movie and fetching the rest on-demand. K would never go for it, because it would undermine hardware sales and move the cost to streaming for which they have no recurring revenue unless they switch to a subscription business.

I think the writing is on the wall. Everything will be streamed at lossless resolution eventually. I don't see how that is avoidable. The question is: will this happen next year or in five years? In the meantime, K will have the better experience but there is an expiration date on it.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The fact that Infinity Wars in HDR+Atmos downloads in 32 minutes, when the movie itself is 2 hours 29 minutes long seems to indicate we could stream full-quality movies if we allowed the first few minutes to be buffered.

Imagine, your K server only having the first 10 minutes of each movie and fetching the rest on-demand. K would never go for it, because it would undermine hardware sales and move the cost to streaming for which they have no recurring revenue unless they switch to a subscription business.

I think the writing is on the wall. Everything will be streamed at lossless resolution eventually. I don't see how that is avoidable. The question is: will this happen next year or in five years? In the meantime, K will have the better experience but there is an expiration date on it.

Agree ... it’s just a matter of time. Bandwidth will continue to increase and like songs I assume there will be movie subscription services that have two levels of quality. Full bit perfect 4K Atmos/DTS:X or the currently compressed option at a cheaper price.

I have gigabit speed as do some of my friends. Assume we would need maybe 3-5 gigabit speed to stream?

I am still interested in the Kscape system as it would allow me to que up demo material quickly along with many other features. My concern is investing in Kscape movies as eventually I will likely be able to upgrade my Vudu movies to full quality.... but that might take another five years.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jaws (4K HDR) is back in the store.

6161 - 6180 of 6385 Posts