AVS Forum banner

6181 - 6200 of 6370 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
The fact that Infinity Wars in HDR+Atmos downloads in 32 minutes, when the movie itself is 2 hours 29 minutes long seems to indicate we could stream full-quality movies if we allowed the first few minutes to be buffered.

Imagine, your K server only having the first 10 minutes of each movie and fetching the rest on-demand. K would never go for it, because it would undermine hardware sales and move the cost to streaming for which they have no recurring revenue unless they switch to a subscription business.

I think the writing is on the wall. Everything will be streamed at lossless resolution eventually. I don't see how that is avoidable. The question is: will this happen next year or in five years? In the meantime, K will have the better experience but there is an expiration date on it.
Kaleidescape was the first (and only so far) to market with high fidelity, lossless audio digital delivery content. Why do you assume they would get leapfrogged instead of being first to market again with expanded delivery mechanisms? ;)

With regards to revenue, Kaleidescape has a smaller user base and so the ability to profit from content doesn't scale for them like it does with Amazon/Apple/etc. hence the devices themselves have to be a profit center. But the more the user base can grow, the more content can sell, the lower the entry point can get, the more users there are, the more content can sell, and on and on. There's a virtuous cycle to be had there.

So, I wouldn't say at all that they'll never go for it. Technically-speaking, I think they will be first to get there.

Of course, and per Kris' post, Apple and other quality has taken a bigger step forward. It's certainly an anything can happen market situation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Agree ... it’s just a matter of time. Bandwidth will continue to increase and like songs I assume there will be movie subscription services that have two levels of quality. Full bit perfect 4K Atmos/DTS:X or the currently compressed option at a cheaper price.

I have gigabit speed as do some of my friends. Assume we would need maybe 3-5 gigabit speed to stream?

I am still interested in the Kscape system as it would allow me to que up demo material quickly along with many other features. My concern is investing in Kscape movies as eventually I will likely be able to upgrade my Vudu movies to full quality.... but that might take another five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Why would you need 3-5 gigabits to stream? The 4K blu-ray specification peaks at 128Mbps. There isn't anything preventing streaming at the same quality with as low as a 150Mbps internet connection from an end user perspective. Hell, I've tested remote access to my plex server on a 100Mbps internet connection, and 99% of my full quality 4K blu-ray rips play back just fine. Main reason I got a KScape Strato was to supplement my physical collection with the movies that haven't gotten 4k blu-ray releases.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Why would you need 3-5 gigabits to stream? The 4K blu-ray specification peaks at 128Mbps. There isn't anything preventing streaming at the same quality with as low as a 150Mbps internet connection from an end user perspective. Hell, I've tested remote access to my plex server on a 100Mbps internet connection, and 99% of my full quality 4K blu-ray rips play back just fine. Main reason I got a KScape Strato was to supplement my physical collection with the movies that haven't gotten 4k blu-ray releases.

Great point. I am off by orders of magnitude. Not sure what I was thinking as I also stream bit perfect mkv backups of my 4K discs using Plex as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't mind the Kaleidescape paradigm being downloads as opposed to streams, but am I the only person that would be more likely to spring for a player if I could rent from Kaleidescape rather than purchase? Not every movie needs to be in my library, and if Kaleidescape offered titles at $10 for a 48 hour rental I'd be really tempted to jump on board. You'd download the file, and then the system can delete it once your rental period is up (or maybe they could offer you the option to purchase it after viewing, so if you decide you really liked the movie you could buy it then, with the rental cost applied to the purchase).

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I don't mind the Kaleidescape paradigm being downloads as opposed to streams, but am I the only person that would be more likely to spring for a player if I could rent from Kaleidescape rather than purchase? Not every movie needs to be in my library, and if Kaleidescape offered titles at $10 for a 48 hour rental I'd be really tempted to jump on board. You'd download the file, and then the system can delete it once your rental period is up (or maybe they could offer you the option to purchase it after viewing, so if you decide you really liked the movie you could buy it then, with the rental cost applied to the purchase).
Stay tuned. They are aware of the value of having a rental model and have been in the PVOD discussion for some time (which is essentially a specialized rental variant). There are hopefully good things to come in time in this area.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I curate my movies on the App My movies Pro - my collection ia a hodge podge of Discs - Vudu Digital Movies - iTunes Movies and K Movies.
Since last month or two all my purchases except one (Richard Jewell a one time watch from VUDU) were outside K.
Now K is surely getting ALL my movie money after owning K system for over 10 years.
If K adds PVOD - starts giving more options to pay (Gift Cars AMEX REWARDS ETC) and Mobility to movies we buy from the store - sales will shoot up - I am sure.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I curate my movies on the App My movies Pro - my collection ia a hodge podge of Discs - Vudu Digital Movies - iTunes Movies and K Movies.
Since last month or two all my purchases except one (Richard Jewell a one time watch from VUDU) were outside K.
Now K is surely getting ALL my movie money after owning K system for over 10 years.
If K adds PVOD - starts giving more options to pay (Gift Cars AMEX REWARDS ETC) and Mobility to movies we buy from the store - sales will shoot up - I am sure.
Did you mean "inside K"? Meaning you bought almost exclusively from them.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Stay tuned. They are aware of the value of having a rental model and have been in the PVOD discussion for some time (which is essentially a specialized rental variant). There are hopefully good things to come in time in this area.
I think this will be very beneficial to Kscape sales both hardware and software. In fact, I did have an email conversation with Cheena back in 2016 suggesting this very thing. At that time Kscape only had an electronic sell-through license. I am glad they are looking at VOD

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That's great news. I hope they are also contemplating rentals outside of the premium sphere (ie, not titles still in their theatrical window renting for $20 - $50, but titles that have hit the standard home video release that should rent for $5 - $10).

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Blade Runner 2049 update posted on K

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Did anyone inspect BR2049 for differences yet? Please do so and report your findings.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Did anyone inspect BR2049 for differences yet? Please do so and report your findings.

Hi Jaremy why u don’t suggest to K to lunch an entry model of strato 2 GB or 4 GB that is standalone and not connect to server and made with solid plastic or something smiler in the range of 1000 to 1500$ and selling this in all the big electronic retailer to expand there market and let people more involve in K world rather just stuck in the high end enthusiast like us this will make the store more stronger and rather than buy disc player they got and lossless digital

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,192 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
According to the graphic that explained the download, it provides both video and audio improvements. I just now started the download so have not yet had a chance to evaluate it.
Playing scene 2, and who is the Einstein at Kaleidescpe that removed the play all scenes feature from the user interface?

Hard to tell but the video appears to have an uptick, the audio sounds better than I remember.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think for sound the base are much notice improvement than last time watch it and the pic is more vivd and bright I saw couple of scene before 2 weeks like before he enter the hotel in Las Vegas the back ground was not noticeable and clear like now but the sound is much even for me to notice I think the best one can describe is @thrang as he the one look to both K and disc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6181 - 6200 of 6370 Posts