AVS Forum banner

6241 - 6260 of 6384 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You have some circuitous manner of speaking.

My original post was:

“So I hesitate to say it but I also think the audio is improved on the recent BR2049 - much more spacious and more environment from above and sides

Now, I know K cannot do anything in terms of changing/tweaking the audio, so I am wondering if they have different asset files and /or a version meant for lower quality streaming services was inadvertently used or supplied”

That’s exactly what I postulated at the start.
All I mean is that we shouldn't use the term "lossy asset" for a different, maybe less dynamic mix. There may two mixes - one with more dynamic range, and one with less. Either mix could be delivered with lossy compression (via say Netflix or Apple TV) or with lossless compression (Dolby TrueHD on either disc or Kaleidescape). If you are hearing a difference then your instinct is probably correct - KScape switched to different asset. Other people in the thread have suggested that it may sound different because of a different encode, which is the misconception I am trying (not very well it seems) to correct.

·
Registered
668 Posts
When I see PS5 introduction and they made 2 version one of them only Digital that’s mean the area of discs are in the last meters and after 3 to 4 years I think gaming and media will be 100% Digital and K keep them in good position right now with there great foundation in Digital fall fat content happy that now I am 90% of my watching are Digital and still love to watch 3D from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
When I see PS5 introduction and they made 2 version one of them only Digital that’s mean the area of discs are in the last meters and after 3 to 4 years I think gaming and media will be 100% Digital and K keep them in good position right now with there great foundation in Digital fall fat content happy that now I am 90% of my watching are Digital and still love to watch 3D from time to time

I bought my last physical video game sometime around the middle of the Xbox 360 era. Digital or bust for games for me forever more.

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
Reactions: Aareses

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
In my engagements with Kaleidescape of late, I've had the chance to talk with Mike a few times. He's a great guy with an important role in the development of software and interfaces at Kaleidescape, and very much "one of us" in the sense of being a hands-on enthusiast, video/audiophile, content lover, and so on. He very much gets our point of view and wants. He posts for us too over on the owner's forum to comment on some of more technical aspects of the system and for things like software update notes when possible.

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
In my engagements with Kaleidescape of late, I've had the chance to talk with Mike a few times. He's a great guy with an important role in the development of software and interfaces at Kaleidescape, and very much "one of us" in the sense of being a hands-on enthusiast, video/audiophile, content lover, and so on. He very much gets our point of view and wants. He posts for us too over on the owner's forum to comment on some of more technical aspects of the system and for things like software update notes when possible.
Anyone, like Mike, who owns Aerial Acoustics speakers, truly appreciates not only movies, but 2 and multi-channel music that sounds like you are there! (Sorry, got to toot my own speakers here!)

And Mike, to go with my currently being upgraded and renovated theater, from 5.2.4 to 11.12.13, with 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts floorstanding and 8 Aerial 7LCRs on wall, we are using 13 Triad Silver Rotatable Inceiling/Sat 9 speakers, for two reasons. Each has an internal laser for rotating to aim at MLP. And Ash Sharma used Triads with his 3 Aerial 20Ts behind his screen and master calibrator Adam Pelz found that Triad's off axis response, etc worked really well matching the Aerials! So assuming you are still and haven't yet upgraded your for ceiling speakers something you might want to look at!

As, as you were years ago ReplayMike, I remember you - when I moderated the AVS Special Guests forum, ending in 2003, I recall having you as one of my Special Guests back when ReplayTV was just starting up!

Reactions: Ash Sharma

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
KScape now has Robert Altman’s “Nashville” in 4k HDR which is not available on disc except in Blu Ray 2k! Fantastic movie with outstanding music soundtrack!

Reactions: dschulz and A7mad78

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
PBS movies and TV shows have been added to store...

https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/collection/pbs
Great the store improvement come faster than I thought well done

I think the Covid-19 shutdown and slow opening of movie theaters and folks even going to them has much accelerated studios looking at how to make some $$ with digital to home releases, thus benefiting Kaleidescape and us directly. The only "good" thing to come out of this Covid-19. Especially as seniors with much of brains are largely relegated to home and family if they're high risk like some of us! And when it comes to top quality audio and video Kaleidescape is the ONLY game in town!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Jaremy,
Please keep us posted on when K will get us Lawrence Of Arabia HDR ATMOS.
Thanks in advance.
Ash

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Jaremy,
Please keep us posted on when K will get us Lawrence Of Arabia HDR ATMOS.
Thanks in advance.
Ash
Just asked and was told it should come. Assets are not yet in Kaleidescape hands yet for processing but are being prepared. My guess would be to give it a couple weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Just asked and was told it should come. Assets are not yet in Kaleidescape hands yet for processing but are being prepared. My guess would be to give it a couple weeks or so.
Thanks Jaremy - My VUDU UHD streaming movie upgraded (without any cost) to Dolby Vision and ATMOS - but that's not the way we (Art and I :D) would like to watch it - rather we would like to watch it on K.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Just peeked at the VUDU Lawrence of Arabia - picture looks stunning - sound cannot comment on lossy ATMOS streaming (and I did not watch enough).
But they BUTCHERED the AR - it is showing is 2.0 AR - WTF!!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Any idea why there isn't an option to sort by Price in our Wishlist?

·
Registered
215 Posts
For people with Strato S, could you ever buy those without internal storage? Somebody is selling one without internal storage. Can you put in a hard drive yourself? Does it have to be a specific one? Thanks for the advice!

6241 - 6260 of 6384 Posts