AVS Forum banner

6301 - 6320 of 6384 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Beautiful room that screen is almost 18' wide not quite Rob Hahn but a gorgeous room. The only thing is the screen looks very odd AR despite it saying it is 2.35:1. Even though they obviously used a very short lens to get that image.

Art

If i understand they use 6 LCR how usually 3 or 5 or 7 but 6 it’s strange for me maybe it’s my less knowledge but hope he enjoy his room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’m thinking about adding another Strato in a different room, does it need to be hardwired to connect with my strato in my main system? Or can it be used over WiFi?

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
21,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I’m thinking about adding another Strato in a different room, does it need to be hardwired to connect with my strato in my main system? Or can it be used over WiFi?
Both players need to be hardwired into your network. Also, all switches need to be 1G. SJ

·
Registered
883 Posts
https://thedigitalbits.com/featured/articles/the-future-of-4k-entertainment

New feature article to share. I'm hoping Bill starts covering Kaleidescape regularly going forward. Give him some site visits.
Great article for sure. I have been thinking physical discs will eventually go away as well, which is why I invested in Kaleidescape. It's a great system, but a huge miss is that when we purchase a title from Kaleidescape, we are not given a digital token/rights to stream the content on another service, like when purchasing a physical disc.

Kaleidescape REALLY needs to fix that soon. Once it is, I would most likely purchase most of my titles from the K-Store. Until then, it's the shiny disc.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
469 Posts
How do you guys decide whether to wait for a movie to show up in the KStore (with no prediction of when a certain title may be available) vs springing for the shiny disc? For example, Gandhi 4K or the Laurel and Hardy restored movies or so many others that are coming out on Shiny discs but there's no clear indication of when these may be available in KStore.....

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
How do you guys decide whether to wait for a movie to show up in the KStore (with no prediction of when a certain title may be available) vs springing for the shiny disc? For example, Gandhi 4K or the Laurel and Hardy restored movies or so many others that are coming out on Shiny discs but there's no clear indication of when these may be available in KStore.....
Do whatever feels right for you. Nothing wrong with having discs for movies you care about. No too much different than non K owners who want the 350+ movies available on 4K from K that our not available on disc... SJ

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
Kaleidescape's new NBC Universal movies with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X on 4k disc seem to be coming to Kaleidescape with these audio codecs as well. How about older NBC Universal movies, such as "Apollo 13". Kaleidescape lists as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 whereas the 4k disc has DTS:X as well. Is Kaleidescape in the process of doing audio codec updates for these older NBC Universal movies where discs have been issued with the better audio codecs?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Kaleidescape's new NBC Universal movies with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X on 4k disc seem to be coming to Kaleidescape with these audio codecs as well. How about older NBC Universal movies, such as "Apollo 13". Kaleidescape lists as DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 whereas the 4k disc has DTS:X as well. Is Kaleidescape in the process of doing audio codec updates for these older NBC Universal movies where discs have been issued with the better audio codecs?

From the first announcement the answer is YES even Fox the mention about ready made title buy still we don’t see

And happy 4th July to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
COVID is slowing down access to NBCU catalog titles and the upcoming Fox updates. As I understand things, much of Hollywood remains out of office and in a reduced mode of work.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I didn't think there was a single DTS:X title in KStore. Is it there and is it filterable like the Atmos collection?

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
COVID is slowing down access to NBCU catalog titles and the upcoming Fox updates. As I understand things, much of Hollywood remains out of office and in a reduced mode of work.
https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/collection/dtsx shows the current list of DTS:X-encoded films available on the K-store. It's almost 50 currently.

I have a source very well connected with Hollywood and my source states that most of Hollywood being more-or-less shut down due to COVID is quite correct. Some folks have studios in their homes, of course, but most of the "communal" facilities like dubbing stages are pretty much shut down.

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
I got an Alto, along with my Terra Server and Strato C. The Alto in the Kaleidescape brochure is listed as an Encore line component as well. So am I correct that I do not need the CoStar switch or software (just use Strato C and also Alto HDMI outputs), and that any movies available at the KScape store at an upgrade price (for blu rays I own and insert into the Alto) will be added to my online Kaleidsecape collection?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi all! I am looking to up my video performance by with a Kaleidescape player and a Lumagen Pro processor.

I am totally new to Kaleidescape and will be looking to buy on the used market. Are any of the Strato models the proper gear for me to be looking for? Are there any gotchas a new guy should be aware of?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I got an Alto, along with my Terra Server and Strato C. The Alto in the Kaleidescape brochure is listed as an Encore line component as well. So am I correct that I do not need the CoStar switch or software (just use Strato C and also Alto HDMI outputs), and that any movies available at the KScape store at an upgrade price (for blu rays I own and insert into the Alto) will be added to my online Kaleidsecape collection?
What are you using the Alto for? Normally you would pair the Alto with a DV700. If you want an integrated library view, this requires costar. Therefore, your entire library would show up integrated and you would insert a disc into your Alto to play (vs the Alto playing discs stored in the DV700). There is a switch to control HDMI output or use your Lumagen. Either requires a costar license if you want an integrated library. You could run them separate and then the alto would show physical discs you have cataloged and your Strato would show only downloaded movies. Also, if you don’t have costar, the Alto would also show any HD movies you have downloaded to your Terra. SJ

6301 - 6320 of 6384 Posts