AVS Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 6451 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
With the no more physical media from Disney/Fox does that mean KSCape will now be the highest quality source for future catalogue releases going forwards?

·
Registered
693 Posts
With the no more physical media from Disney/Fox does that mean KSCape will now be the highest quality source for future catalogue releases going forwards?
No it doesn’t effect K has there own process and not related to disc sector in the studio process they received the mezzanine files and do there own encode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Yes. You will have Kaleidescape and you have iTunes/VUDU/Amazon level streaming.

Reactions: Spizz

·
Registered
21,184 Posts
AFAIK they do all their own encoding, which means they aren't restricted to physical disc sizes, but I believe they get the same audio to work with as everyone else and will be equal in quality to disc releases.
The other year at CEDIA I was told by Kaleidescape exactly this, that the audio files are identical to those provided by the studios that are identical to those on shiny discs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am trying to understand if there is any feature difference besides the physical size between a 2U strato 6TB vs. the 1U strato 6TB ? I believe 2U is the older version of the strato ?

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
I am trying to understand if there is any feature difference besides the physical size between a 2U strato 6TB vs. the 1U strato 6TB ? I believe 2U is the older version of the strato ?
There are no differences to my knowledge from an operating/feature perspective. The 2U unit was the first produced. I have 2 of them and have worked flawlessly for several years. SJ

·
Registered
26,819 Posts
Newer Lumagen Firmware for K
Has anyone updated their Lumagen to the latest update to speed up sync times in K? What's the scoop and a real improvement and no new bugs?? I haven't updated since May. Thanks!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Has anyone updated their Lumagen to the latest update to speed up sync times in K? What's the scoop and a real improvement and no new bugs?? I haven't updated since May. Thanks!!
I try it it make the sync faster but for me I am not a fan of K OSD at 24Hz so just run the flag in USE in input menu and keep the output as it is back so I get the OSD at 60Hz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Yeah, if you are a fan of using the Movie Covers screen, it gets jerky when outputted 4K24. I’m not using the new feature at this time, just as I didn’t just change the GUI output to 4K24. The new feature just solved the issue of the occasional 60Hz movie... If you just use the movie list, then it speeds up the transition to the movie. My projectors sync time for that is not that bad. Some are...SJ

·
Registered
180 Posts
Using it, transition to movie and back to movie list when movie ends is now 6-7" faster. Keeping it for the time being. I rarely use the Movie Covers screen but yes it gets jerky. I am personally fine with it but I totally understand why SJ and Ahmad don't like it. Give it a try you have nothing to lose.

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
I finished my review of the Strato. Should be seeing it in a future Sound and Vision issue and/or on their website. Stay tuned!
Looking forward to reading. As a professional calibrator, are the couple of picture test movies doing anything for you? Seems like they might need an HDR version at some point, but at least have 4K. Just curious as you could give them great feedback if they need improving. Thanks. SJ

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Looking forward to reading. As a professional calibrator, are the couple of picture test movies doing anything for you? Seems like they might need an HDR version at some point, but at least have 4K. Just curious as you could give them great feedback if they need improving. Thanks. SJ
Obviously not something I'd use for true calibration purposes, but a few of them are generally fine. I provided a lot of feedback to K on the product and suggestions on things I thought they could improve and add that are even outside the scope of the review itself. I think there are different aspects of the market that they are not covering right now that could be worthwhile to pursue and open new streams of revenue and customers. Especially in the audio arena.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Could any of the Canadian users comment on the availability of titles from the Canada movie store compared to the USA store. Would also appreciate knowing what download speeds (times) people are experiencing from the Canada store.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
The other year at CEDIA I was told by Kaleidescape exactly this, that the audio files are identical to those provided by the studios that are identical to those on shiny discs.
Well, except for the ongoing lack of advanced codecs....

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
BR2049 updated (again)... maybe 3rd time will do it :). At least this capability is part of K’s Process. SJ

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
BR2049 updated (again)... maybe 3rd time will do it :). At least this capability is part of K’s Process. SJ
@Kris Deering can probably comment on the update. Good to see them still working on it, and certainly love the update capability as a feature.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
When do we more updates re:Atmos and 20th Century?

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
@Kris Deering can probably comment on the update. Good to see them still working on it, and certainly love the update capability as a feature.
The BR2049 drama started when I got my review unit and had that movie loaded on it. I use BR2049 for extensive HDR testing and some other picture issues I see all the time on different projectors. It is a great title for testing! When I started watching the K version I was seeing some rather obvious and at times rather nasty artifacts that I knew were NOT present on the 4K disc version (I tested it against the US release (Warner), UK release (Sony) and the Japan release (Sony). I reported this to K and they started investigating. The second release was an attempt to improve things and it did in some respects, but it got worse in others. Long story short, it turns out there was more going on than just the file itself and the results we have today are a combination of a new reworking of the file from Warner for the movie and some alterations to the firmware of the Strato as well. I have had this version for a couple weeks now and can confirm its quality is more in line with the disc versions now and I'm not seeing the same issues. There are some minor issues still, but they are similar to the disc based versions, which also have some issues with VERY mild banding in some very difficult scenes.

6381 - 6400 of 6451 Posts