AVS Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 6589 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Saw this quote on the K User Forum. Can anyone confirm if it is accurate or not? If true, I find that a major deal breaker. Can you imagine 40TB of disc crashing and taking all of your movie content with it --- and no built in backup???? The crashes may be very, very, very infrequent but they will occur. Trying to re-download 500 or 1000 movies ????

I'm pretty sure none of the Encore systems have RAID including the Terra server. When I look at the specs for the Terra, you can use all 40TB for content.

Only the Premier servers have RAID.

John
EDIT: Just heard from a guy at K and it is true that the Encore Terra system is not a RAID system. But: "The library information, though, is written to all four disks, so if you lost a disk, you would not lose any information about the contents of the library, or any customizations you might have done (scenes, changes to metadata, collections, etc.)"

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Saw this quote on the K User Forum. Can anyone confirm if it is accurate or not? If true, I find that a major deal breaker. Can you imagine 40TB of disc crashing and taking all of your movie content with it --- and no built in backup???? The crashes may be very, very, very infrequent but they will occur. Trying to re-download 500 or 1000 movies ????
I'm not an owner but it seems correct. The data sheet lists:
"All movies are protected by cloud backup"
and
"When the failed drive is replaced, its movies are automatically restored from the cloud."

Furthermore, it has only space for four hard drives: 4x6TB (24TB) or 4x10TB (40TB) and Kaleidescape lists that amount as the total amount of storage. This means there is no redundancy included.

Its very unlikely that all drives fail at the same time but in case of a 10TB hdd fail, you would have to download that amount. Since I'm no user I'm not sure how the "cloud backup" works. I'd imagine that it automatically downloads the movies again once a new HDD is detected.

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
I'm not an owner but it seems correct. The data sheet lists:
"All movies are protected by cloud backup"
and
"When the failed drive is replaced, its movies are automatically restored from the cloud."

Furthermore, it has only space for four hard drives: 4x6TB (24TB) or 4x10TB (40TB) and Kaleidescape lists that amount as the total amount of storage. This means there is no redundancy included.

Its very unlikely that all drives fail at the same time but in case of a 10TB hdd fail, you would have to download that amount. Since I'm no user I'm not sure how the "cloud backup" works. I'd imagine that it automatically downloads the movies again once a new HDD is detected.
"Cloud Backup" is a great marketing term. We don't play from a "cloud"; we play from the local hard drive. Translation: re-download every movie. At the very least, since K has the movie in the store, they could provide them to us on some massive (actually very massive) thumb drive via mail so that we could them get them back onto our systems much easier/quicker/more efficiently.

The issue, however, I know is not that straightforward. When my Alto crashed, the ONLY way K had to get my movies back onto my system as to download them from their shop.

Anyway, the currently methodology, IMO, is far, far from ideal!! If the Encore Terra servers were RAID servers, the problem gets greatly reduced.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,384
mirror mirror on the wall who has the greatest crystal ball? Me!

As predicted Disney would come to 4k downloads via Marvel Branch...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I received Ghost in the Shell UHD yesterday in the post, and was disappointed to see that the digital code included by Paramount only allows me to register it via iTunes - no option for UV - which in turn means no option for transfer to Kaleidescape if Paramount eventually come on board!

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Hope they add the 4K version with Dolby Atmos in the future. But I am downloading the HD version now.... SJ

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,389
Make sure you have Neural X engaged, goose the widths and tops 1 db and 3 db respectively, listen for pans across the back. I call this Atmos image reconstitution, Heard it first on astral world scene of Doctor Strange, also some on Iron Man #3 Stark Abode Demo scene. I have not seen this movie but chances are such treat will be included, if i am wrong tomorrow Ill be the first to acknowledge failure of the trusted immersive crystal ball. If I am right, i continue to accrue gift cards for Red Lobster from the group.:D

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Hope they add the 4K version with Dolby Atmos in the future. But I am downloading the HD version now.... SJ
As am I. I assume you want DTS:X (not Atmos) since it is now in DTS:HD, not Dolby. DTS:Neural-X does such a great job of up-mixing (to my ears much better than DSU) I don't think I will worry about the upgrade to 3D audio ---unless it is free if they offer it.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
As am I. I assume you want DTS:X (not Atmos) since it is now in DTS:HD, not Dolby. DTS:Neural-X does such a great job of up-mixing (to my ears much better than DSU) I don't think I will worry about the upgrade to 3D audio ---unless it is free if they offer it.
I was referring to the 4K version as the disc is suppose to be Dolby Atmos. SJ

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Make sure you have Neural X engaged, goose the widths and tops 1 db and 3 db respectively, listen for pans across the back.
I don't have wides (forgive me) but have bumped my tops for all movies. I know that's not the "Director's intent", but it is mine -- and to my ears/brain, more fun. I also have my rear surrounds up a db ... or so.

And thanks for your continued posts and enthusiasm. Makes reading this (and other threads) more fun.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,393
vudu 4k version has no UV or disney movies anywhere. It's the triple/quad dip studio; they do no wrong, instead we worship the ground they walk and be thankful for title they make available to our needy selves. 3d version is imax, like dr. strange. But at least you know you are getting TOP QUALITY presentation, none better regardless of format.

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
I was referring to the 4K version as the disc is suppose to be Dolby Atmos. SJ
Based upon the very small sample of DTS:X discs I have, I prefer DTS:X to Atmos. It will be interesting to see if they ever sell BR movies with both options available.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,395
I received Ghost in the Shell UHD yesterday in the post, and was disappointed to see that the digital code included by Paramount only allows me to register it via iTunes - no option for UV - which in turn means no option for transfer to Kaleidescape if Paramount eventually come on board!
I have on Vudu, alas a small price to pay for living in The United Kingdom.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,396
Based upon the very small sample of DTS:X discs I have, I prefer DTS:X to Atmos. It will be interesting to see if they ever sell BR movies with both options available.
The mixes are certainly more ballsy, but at a future time if you add widths and additional tops and heights, you will notice far more object fluidity on certain recordings. Like for example the tin pot bullet blasts in the stagecoach scene at beginning of magnificent seven are way too anchored on dts-x (upper right back top/heights).

Feels a bit controlled/restricted on the noggin. When the atmos mix exploits the full 12-16 object count, like man from uncle chase for the warhead, Goosepumps Invisible Boy, and Smurfs saving grandpa, there is no finer most immersive experience to be had than Atmos.

Try it.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I have on Vudu, alas a small price to pay for living in The United Kingdom.
Lol yeah, that and the weather, and the tax, and the import prices, and . . . . I'll stop! :D

So did you buy the UHD disc Peter, and use a UV code, or did you just buy it on Vudu and the Movie was added to your UV library?

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
The mixes are certainly more ballsy, but at a future time if you add widths and additional tops and heights, you will notice far more object fluidity on certain recordings.
Tops: both easy and relatively inexpensive to add ceiling speakers directly overhead. No interest in adding heights which I assume are speakers over my LCR's and surrounds: Not happening. Wides; more complex and more expensive, but could do it.

The REAL issue is that I would have to dump my RS20i and acquire the Trinnov. That is NOT happening, even if I could do an even swap financially (which I probably could). All of that takes more time, more effort. I just want to watch movies. It is way more than good enough in my current theater now with a 7.8.4 system. More than good enough.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,399
Tops: both easy and relatively inexpensive to add ceiling speakers directly overhead. No interest in adding heights which I assume are speakers over my LCR's and surrounds: Not happening. Wides; more complex and more expensive, but could do it.

The REAL issue is that I would have to dump my RS20i and acquire the Trinnov. That is NOT happening, even if I could do an even swap financially (which I probably could). All of that takes more time, more effort. I just want to watch movies. It is way more than good enough in my current theater now with a 7.8.4 system. More than good enough.
i don't want to give away any trade secrets but if you could configure the setup to 5+widths plus 4 tops (a la marantz), you would immediately discover a whole new world. 7.1 bed highly overrated it dilutes the soundstage, Not sure how datsat handles, but worth investigating.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,400
Lol yeah, that and the weather, and the tax, and the import prices, and . . . . I'll stop! :D

So did you buy the UHD disc Peter, and use a UV code, or did you just buy it on Vudu and the Movie was added to your UV library?
Indeed, but not happening with Guardians 2.:(

2381 - 2400 of 6589 Posts