AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 6589 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
i don't want to give away any trade secrets but if you could configure the setup to 5+widths plus 4 tops (a la marantz), you would immediately discover a whole new world. 7.1 bed highly overrated it dilutes the soundstage, Not sure how datsat handles, but worth investigating.

I'm not in front of my processor but I think I can exchange rear surrounds for wides .. and I have 4 tops.

Isn't the usefulness of wides a function of distance between surrounds and L or R? My L and R are in the room and not behind the screen as is my center. I already get reasonable phantom imaging where I would put wides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,402
I'm not in front of my processor but I think I can exchange rear surrounds for wides .. and I have 4 tops.

Isn't the usefulness of wides a function of distance between surrounds and L or R? My L and R are in the room and not behind the screen as is my center. I already get reasonable phantom imaging where I would put wides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion is to try, reminiscent of plII panorama soundstage width expansion, in the above titles OMG. To quote a certain presidential candidate, What the hell do you have to Lose?:D do report if you try. Thanks Also the top fronts program as center tops. VERRY IMPORTANT.

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
I recently upgraded my internet speed to 300 Mbps from 100 Mbps. I get close to that wireless and wired, I get exactly that. My K server is connected via ethernet. I just downloaded my first movie since the internet upgrade, and got no real decrease in time. (46.4 Mbps - according to Kaleidescape). So, does my download time depend that much on how busy K is? Or might I have some other issue I need to investigate? I have the set parameter which determine the limits on download speed to "unlimited". FWIW, downloading movies from K was the ONLY reason I did the upgrade.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I recently upgraded my internet speed to 300 Mbps from 100 Mbps. I get close to that wireless and wired, I get exactly that. My K server is connected via ethernet. I just downloaded my first movie since the internet upgrade, and got no real decrease in time. (46.4 Mbps - according to Kaleidescape). So, does my download time depend that much on how busy K is? Or might I have some other issue I need to investigate? I have the set parameter which determine the limits on download speed to "unlimited". FWIW, downloading movies from K was the ONLY reason I did the upgrade.
Unless K can tell you their "Top" and "Typical" throughput speeds are greater than your 100mbps speed, I fear you wasted your money. Pardon me for the oversimplification but download speeds is like a water pipe. You went from a 1" to a 3" diameter pipe. However, if the volume of water flow from the source is weak, it just trickles through your big pipe and would also have done the same through your old pipe.

·
Registered
21,203 Posts

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
The first line from your link shows Dolby Atmos in Audio?
Right you are, I misread it. Previous post corrected.Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Unless K can tell you their "Top" and "Typical" throughput speeds are greater than your 100mbps speed, I fear you wasted your money.
Then you will need to explain why so many get download from the K store at well over 100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
Then you will need to explain why so many get download from the K store at well over 100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have download speeds via Cox Tulsa's high speed Internet service of more than 130 Mbps but the fastest download speeds I have seen from Kscape's servers is 60 Mbps. That has been fast enough but it's less than half of what I get from other sites.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If it is a consumer level internet connection , the contract usually will state upto 300 Mbps. That usually means burst speed . That doesn't mean you will get continuous 300 Mbps for 2 hrs . I have a business cable modem connection for my home of 100 Mbps and limit my K downloads to 90 MBps so that if others are using internet they have enough bandwidth left . I consistently get downloads between 80-90 Mbps from K .

·
Registered
883 Posts
I am one of the lucky people who have a fiber GIG Internet connection. My speedtest.net speeds are typically about 975 MBPS down and 110 MBPS up.

I used to get 100 MBPS downloads from the Kaleidescape store. In the last few months, I've been getting 150 MBPS downloads from the store consistently. I believe 150 MBPS is the maximum download speed from K.

On the Guardian of the Galaxy 2, great that K is doing an early release, but a bummer that it's only HD 5.1 when it is being released on physical disc UHD 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos. Another disc to buy...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It will be interesting to see if they ever sell BR movies with both options available.
Very unlikely. The only movies that come to my mind having two 3D sound formats are:

• The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) UHD BD released by Turbine Media (Germany): Englisch Auro 3D 13.1 and Englisch Dolby Atmos 7.1. source (German)
  • Passengers (2016) UHD BD released by Sony (also German release): Englisch Dolby Atmos 7.1 and on the BD is Englisch Auro 3D 13.1. So it’s not exactly on one disc, but at least the same movie. source (German)
Ist most likely due to licence fees rathern than space restrictions.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I am one of the lucky people who have a fiber GIG Internet connection. My speedtest.net speeds are typically about 975 MBPS down and 110 MBPS up.

I used to get 100 MBPS downloads from the Kaleidescape store. In the last few months, I've been getting 150 MBPS downloads from the store consistently. I believe 150 MBPS is the maximum download speed from K.

On the Guardian of the Galaxy 2, great that K is doing an early release, but a bummer that it's only HD 5.1 when it is being released on physical disc UHD 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos. Another disc to buy...
I also get 150 on downloads but only recently within the last few months. SJ

·
Registered
777 Posts
@netroamer Please note: !!!!!!!!!!!!
It only means that they can...your geographical location, the number of hops the data takes, your ISP, the throughput of your modem/router are all factors that will effect throughput. If you are consistently getting downloads in the 40's and there is no other significant activity on your end, what would make you think increasing your throughput would make a change? And please, cool it with the "!".

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
It only means that they can...your geographical location, the number of hops the data takes, your ISP, the throughput of your modem/router are all factors that will effect throughput. If you are consistently getting downloads in the 40's and there is no other significant activity on your end, what would make you think increasing your throughput would make a change? And please, cool it with the "!".
Here is your original statement.

Unless K can tell you their "Top" and "Typical" throughput speeds are greater than your 100mbps speed, I fear you wasted your money. Pardon me for the oversimplification but download speeds is like a water pipe. You went from a 1" to a 3" diameter pipe. However, if the volume of water flow from the source is weak, it just trickles through your big pipe and would also have done the same through your old pipe
Pardon my excessive use of exclamation marks. Maybe I took your post not in the way you intended.

I responded the way I did because I knew (and apparently you did not) that the "source" - (in the case, Kaleidescape) had the ability to deliver more than 100mbps since I knew, and apparently you did not, that users were experiencing it. Secondly, I have tested my internet speed with probably 20 different test sites located all over the US and in 100% of the cases I was able to get within a tiny percentage of 300mbps.

I will continue to search why I am getting speeds so much less than I should.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,417
So this is the best transfer yet from disney, have not checked the audio proper yet for atmos imageing reconstitutions, but this hd transfer in very deep color and beauty and the beast rivals most of the uhd transfers out there. One heck of a placeholder unitl the hdr download arrives, Bravo disney.

Also those with an OLED disregard the director's intentions and do zoom 11, slide the display to 6-5 feet away and enjoy your personal imax in a way no cinema projector can display.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
So this is the best transfer yet from disney, have not checked the audio proper yet for atmos imageing reconstitutions, but this hd transfer in very deep color and beauty and the beast rivals most of the uhd transfers out there. One heck of a placeholder unitl the hdr download arrives, Bravo disney.

Also those with an OLED disregard the director's intentions and do zoom 11, slide the display to 6-5 feet away and enjoy your personal imax in a way no cinema projector can display.

Can't believe I agree with Cinermax.
He is right; best transfer I have seen in a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
We just downloaded ~40 movies to a Terra server for a client who lives in an area with poor internet. We averaged ~215 Mbps, with a 4K HDR movie downloading in about 35 min or so. Slowest was ~160 and fastest was near 250, over a period of 3 days.

2401 - 2420 of 6589 Posts