AVS Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 6589 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Saw the following on the K user forum:

I then posted the following question:

So what does this product do to facilitate Strato and DV700 users to make appropriate use of the DV700?? If nothing, will the product to be announced at CEDIA address it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
So what exactly does the switch do? It allows Premier users to access all the movies on their Premier system through the Strato interface?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I can see why Kal have focused on this item - their installed customer base must be 90%+ premier systems, and those systems will be the high dollar CI ones too - it should open the flood gates for a huge amount of Strato sales to those customers, and then onwards to a load more store downloads as a result afterwards.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
So in theory, could one sell their Alto, buy a older Cinema 1 (which I believe was technically part of the Premier line), buy the switch, connect their DV700 to the C1, and therefore view their DV700 content on the Strato?

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
And got the following answer..................

"Nothing and my understanding is No it won't".
And my response:

If you are correct (sure hope you are not), then basically, K has sold $5000.00 boat anchors (aka DV700's) to quite a few people who purchased the Strato/DV700 combination based upon what turns out to be totally false promises.

That would just really, really, really suck. I am just having difficulty actually believing K is that kind of company and would just leave those folks hanging. From a company that prides itself (and rightfully so) in providing top of class products, to abandon those users is completely classless - regardless of their past (our current) financial issues.

Let's just hope that they come through.

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
So in theory, could one sell their Alto, buy a older Cinema 1 (which I believe was technically part of the Premier line), buy the switch, connect their DV700 to the C1, and therefore view their DV700 content on the Strato?
Does the Cinema 1 actually rip your movies, as opposed to downloading like the Alto? If so, I would switch in a heartbeat to a Cinema 1. What are all of the difference between the two? Any restrictions on the use of a C1? And I assume the DV700 works with the C1?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Surely no need to do that - the Alto/DV700 and Strato, will work as expected - with the switch, therefore negating the need for a swap Alto/C1?

The switch will provide the necessary 'bridge'. Or am I missing something beyond my comprehension?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Does the Cinema 1 actually rip your movies, as opposed to downloading like the Alto?
Yes, provided its firmware hasn't been updated to allow Disney downloads from the store. there is a choice to be made there. if you want to be able to download Disney movies, you have to forego the ability to rip.

If so, I would switch in a heartbeat to a Cinema 1. What are all of the difference between the two? Any restrictions on the use of a C1?
They appears to me to be virtually identical. The main differences, up until now, were that a) the Cinema 1 and the Strato couldn't be used in the same system, whereas the Alto and Strato can, and b) the Cinema 1 can rip blue rays from discs. Obviously just a firmware lock of some sort.

Its worth noting also, that Cinema 1's sold after a certain date (I can't remember the exact date) were shipped without the ability to rip movies from disc.

And I assume the DV700 works with the C1?
Yes, I believe so. You'd have to check though, that your 'version' of the DV700 would work with a C1 - you'd also have to check that this new 'switch' definitely works with a C1.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Surely no need to do that - the Alto/DV700 and Strato, will work as expected - with the switch, therefore negating the need for a swap Alto/C1?

The switch will provide the necessary 'bridge'. Or am I missing something beyond my comprehension?
Yes, the switch is designed to link a Premier system to an Encore system. I don't believe its designed to link two separate Encore systems. I could be (hope that I am) wrong though.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Yes, the switch is designed to link a Premier system to an Encore system. I don't believe its designed to link two separate Encore systems. I could be (hope that I am) wrong though.
LOL I think I'm getting my 'systems' all in a fankle - told you it was beyond my comprehension level :)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
And my response:
If you are correct (sure hope you are not), then basically, K has sold $5000.00 boat anchors (aka DV700's) to quite a few people who purchased the Strato/DV700 combination based upon what turns out to be totally false promises.

That would just really, really, really suck. I am just having difficulty actually believing K is that kind of company and would just leave those folks hanging. From a company that prides itself (and rightfully so) in providing top of class products, to abandon those users is completely classless - regardless of their past (our current) financial issues.

Let's just hope that they come through.
One would certainly hope so!!

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I believe they will provide a solution. At a minimum will be the integration of Strato/Alto which then would give you access to the Disc Server. We will know all in the next month leading up to Cedia. SJ

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I believe they will provide a solution. At a minimum will be the integration of Strato/Alto which then would give you access to the Disc Server. We will know all in the next month leading up to Cedia. SJ
The Alto and Strato are already integrated, it is the visibility of the titles in the DV700, and playback via the Strato that is missing I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I mean the Alto and Strato are integrated with the switch giving you access to your entire library in a single GUI (Strato). The switch would then select the Alto for playback for DV700. SJ

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
So right now, a Strato cannot play movies from an Alto nor from a DV700 through an Alto?

2421 - 2440 of 6589 Posts