AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7214 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Dirty little secret about Disney titles and Kaleidescape: If you want to be able to play Disney titles when they come out on iTunes (usually in advance of the physical media release), then you are forced to sign an agreement that forces you to use downloads from that point on. So when my wife buys Disney titles, I have to give her the sad news that we cannot import into our Kaleidescape system. And the converse is true too: if you refuse to agree to sticking with downloads exclusively, then no downloads for you!!

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Complement the legacy kaleidescape with disney only downloads with the new system and add a vault to the new system and do your own ripping for the second hdr 4k system. Workaround?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Complement the legacy kaleidescape with disney only downloads with the new system and add a vault to the new system and do your own ripping for the second hdr 4k system. Workaround?
I think the only workaround is to let the wife know that she must not buy any more Disney titles on a whim at the checkout line! The agreement Disney makes you sign is quite comprehensive, so as long as the systems are connected on the same network, they could always enforce it. You can still play a Disney disc with the nice Kaleidescape UI if it is in the tray, but not if it is ripped and residing in the vault...

However, it is nice to be able to download the Disney movies before they are released on the silver discs, because otherwise the kids force me to buy it on iTunes as well, which is.... annoying to say the least. I was forced to watch a movie on AppleTV yesterday and noticed on my Altitude GUI that the audio bit rate was under 400k? Yuck!

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
K has announce an upgrade plan that includes Cinema One owners:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/documentation/Premiere-to-Encore-Upgrade-Process-and-FAQs.pdf

STRATO MOVIE PLAYER
4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range

Strato plays high-bitrate 4K Ultra HD movies that are downloaded from the Kaleidescape Movie Store, the only source for Internet-delivered movies in full Blu-ray quality and (soon) in true 4K Ultra HD. Because they are played from a local hard drive, our 4K Ultra HD titles are not degraded by the Internet bandwidth constraints and variations that can produce such disappointing results with “4K” streaming services. Many of the movies we offer feature lossless multichannel audio, including Dolby Atmos. Some of our 4K Ultra HD titles will also be available with high dynamic range (HDR), which makes the video even more vibrant and realistic when played on an HDR display.

Kaleidescape Movie Store

Kaleidescape has licensed the finest 4K Ultra HD movies from major motion picture studios and independent filmmakers. Approximately one hundred 4K Ultra HD movies will be available in the Movie Store when Strato is released, including titles from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and The Orchard, and more titles will be added soon thereafter. These titles join the thousands of Blu-ray quality movies and television seasons already in the Movie Store. Strato up-scales those Blu-ray quality titles to look fantastic on your 4K display.​

Encore Product Family

Strato is the centerpiece of our new Encore product family. In addition to Strato, the Encore family includes the new Kaleidescape Terra movie server and two new models of the previously announced Kaleidescape Alto movie player, which was designed for playing Blu-ray quality movies.​
More information about the Encore product family can be found here.​

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
So here's a question, say I get a Strato today with a 6TB drive. What happens in a year or two when that's filled, and K has 8, or 10TB drives available? Is there a process to migrate that? Without redownloading everything?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So here's a question, say I get a Strato today with a 6TB drive. What happens in a year or two when that's filled, and K has 8, or 10TB drives available? Is there a process to migrate that? Without redownloading everything?
You can get one of the new servers or buy another player for another room.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When downloading from the K store, is there a way to prevent the bonus content from being dowloaded. Would be nice to save on disk space if I am only interested in the feature film

Also, any news on if and when support will be added for Disney anywhere, Fox and Paramount.
I know disney content is now available. But I would have to re-purchase my content with no support for Disney anywhere.
Disney anywhere, ultraviolet, vidity, etc
Sigh! What a sad state of affairs

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes, you can manage your downloads individually in the Downloads section, and can delete that content (or pause it).

Premiere Systems have the ability to both import content by physical disc and download content from the K Store (with the exception to Disney content, unless the owner "Opts-in" to Disney's agreement to forego future Disney imports by disc. Disney content already installed in a Premiere system is unaffected). The Encore line, which includes the Alto Player, is restricted to downloads from the Store. There is a process that allows you to purchase titles you already own at a significant discount (as low as $1.99), or download them for free if you have UV rights, assuming the titles are in the Store. UV works fine with K, but you are correct that Disney Anywhere access is not yet available. Disney controls this, not Kaleidescape.

Fox should be available very soon (no fixed date), and K is still working with Paramount.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
I am looking at upgrading my Cinema One system to include Strato but I am concerned about download caps (I use Comcast Blast service)

I already exceed their cap by a factor of 4X but they are not enforcing the caps...yet

the Strato would likely be a major driver in my internet usage

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Those cap issues are a concern, there are a bunch of K owners that have the same problem. I know several of our client's have moved provider's, or changed to a business account when possible, to increase or eliminate the caps, but that obviously doesn't work everywhere. On our Owner's Forum, K asked owner's for info regarding download speeds and caps, so perhaps they are looking into ways to help, but considering the way they send data, not sure how they can impact caps.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Hi Jim;

When is the Strata expected to ship? And when do you think Kscape store will have 4K content? Thanks

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
K is still officially saying "early Q1" for the Strato. I know they want them available asap, perhaps could see some of the initial orders in late January, we'll see. I've got a bunch on pre-order (paid the deposit), so I should be in the first release, many of my client/friends have already ordered as well. I expect 4K to show up very soon, perhaps within a couple of weeks, would be mostly Sony, The Orchard, etc., initially, followed by Fox's 4K content. Should be an interesting year.

Jim

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
They are saying January over here, and the 100 tiltles will be up and running.

Including the knee weakening Howard Hall wide color gamut tour de force BEJEWELED FISHES. OMG the one 4k title to show off your picture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can someone confirm if the Alto now requires the vault (discs must be present in the storage unit for playback?) I have the strato/terra and alto coming in and was told I should forget the alto at this stage unless I'm getting the vault, it will not download my existing blurays.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you are asking if the Alto can import your current physical disc collection, the answer is "No," it cannot. Connecting a Vault to the Alto accomplishes two things, first, any disc's you place in the Vault will be "cataloged" and this allows the K Store (assuming you registered an account at the Store) to see what movies you already own so that it can send you "digital offers" for discounted and free (if you have UV rights) downloadable movies. Secondly, a Vault attached to an Alto (or the upcoming Strato) can hold your current movie collection and playback those movies from the physical disc. In this case, the Vault is acting more as a traditional carousel player, BUT, instead of having to playback the complete disc, including warnings and trailers, etc., you can select "Play Movie" and skip all of that, assuming the movie in question is in K's database and has been bookmarked by K. There are other playback benefits as well, but you are still playing back from the physical disc as opposed to a server hard drive. You will also be able to "see" all of your Vault movies on-screen with all of your other downloaded hard drive movies as one collection.

Jim

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
To be more clear, you do not import content from existing discs to the Encore system components (Alto/Strato/Terra). The only way to get content into the hard drives on the Alto/Strato/ and Terra Server is by downloading from the K Store.

You can indirectly get your currently owned content onto the hard drives (both BR and DVD, which the Store refers to as HD and SD) by using the Vault to catalog that content and "if" the movie is available in the Store you can then download it to the Encore components. If you have UV rights, you should be able to download at no cost. Other BR titles (HD) are usually $1.99 to download, while upgrading a SD movie to HD is usually $5.99. Of course pricing is subject to change, and just fyi, pricing is mostly determined by the studio's, not K.

Jim

21 - 40 of 7214 Posts