AVS Forum banner

6141 - 6160 of 6629 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Any closer on the first 20th Century Fox Atmos title?
I haven't heard anything new lately, other than continued blockage by COVID shutdowns on non-essential work.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Interesting to speculate. I could see some version of the author's ideas being implemented. The chances, I think, of theaters returning to "business as usual" are probably pretty remote.

agree that covid-19 bring the theater business in much trouble that accepted for me I think 2020 is a past year i don’t see light in the path for this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
So I made my 1st purchase last night, Onward. Is there any way to sort the store by pricing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,215 Posts
Assuming you have the K Encore (Stratos - Terra) and K Premier (3U Server DV700 - not sure a M500 can do this- but I understand a Alto would be fine also - basically a K device which can play Blu Ray incorporated with K encore)
In my Case I have Encore with Stratos players and Premier with 3U and DV700 and Several M500 Players.

If you have Blu Ray Disc (or a DVD!!) and the same title appears on UHD HDR (Higher quality) at K Escape - you can check by clicking on the title in the K Store if Disc to Digital is available for that title.
In case yes, then you can insert your Blu Ray Copy in the K Player (in my case DV700) - The Blu Ray rips to my 3U player and this title then appears at upgrade price.
So for example since Tom Gun was already in my 3U in Blu Ray it was offered in K for 11.99 or 15.99 (I don't remember) but an upgrade path.
This is awesome so as more and more Blu Rays of older become available with a upgrade path to 4K - with K that is possible.
I am even concerting come of my 4K rewatch UHD titles to K HDR by using the Blu Rays Included with the UHD.
Now if more studios join this party it will be great (I don't know which ones exactly offer I am sure it is documented somewhere in this thread etc).
I have a Terra Server 40 TB upstairs in my home office. I had/will have once my theater upgrade/renovation is done my Strato C in my home theater. I also have a Lumagen Radiance Pro and Sony 5000 projector. I am thinking about getting a DV700 disc value, like Ash, and an Alto 4TB blu ray player. This will allow me to rip my existing blu rays (not 4k) to KScape and if 4k upgrade available the offer and price will appear, right? And this will allow me to play any of my disc blu rays (not 4k discs) via KScape without having to buy them from KStore; and if disc is not in KStore, then leave disc in the DV700 disc vault and I can play disc via KScape and disc will appear in KScape menu with other discs, right? I like the idea especially I have a lot of blu ray concert discs and would love to have all of them available online via KScape menu whether obtained for "free" (if I already own disc) from KScape store or whether I store disc in DV700 and have it available in KScape menu.

Aside from the CoStar switch, is a separate software upgrade necessary from Lumagen and if so, msrp?

I understand that both the Alto 4 TB and Strato C will connect via HDMI cables into the CoStar switch, and the CoStar HDMI out will connect to the Radiance Pro. All would be located in the back cabinets hidden of my theater as being renovated.

However, as I have the Terra Server 40 TB in my home office away from my home theater (hard ethernet linked into theater), do I understand correctly that the DV700 simply connects via ethernet to my home network and thus can be located in my home office?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a Terra Server 40 TB upstairs in my home office. I had/will have once my theater upgrade/renovation is done my Strato C in my home theater. I also have a Lumagen Radiance Pro and Sony 5000 projector. I am thinking about getting a DV700 disc value, like Ash, and an Alto 4TB blu ray player. This will allow me to rip my existing blu rays (not 4k) to KScape and if 4k upgrade available the offer and price will appear, right? And this will allow me to play any of my disc blu rays (not 4k discs) via KScape without having to buy them from KStore; and if disc is not in KStore, then leave disc in the DV700 disc vault and I can play disc via KScape and disc will appear in KScape menu with other discs, right? I like the idea especially I have a lot of blu ray concert discs and would love to have all of them available online via KScape menu whether obtained for "free" (if I already own disc) from KScape store or whether I store disc in DV700 and have it available in KScape menu.

Aside from the CoStar switch, is a separate software upgrade necessary from Lumagen and if so, msrp?

I understand that both the Alto 4 TB and Strato C will connect via HDMI cables into the CoStar switch, and the CoStar HDMI out will connect to the Radiance Pro. All would be located in the back cabinets hidden of my theater as being renovated.

However, as I have the Terra Server 40 TB in my home office away from my home theater (hard ethernet linked into theater), do I understand correctly that the DV700 simply connects via ethernet to my home network and thus can be located in my home office?

1. Firstly you can buy a costar License for the Lumagen so you do not need to buy the costar switch. (Not sure of price)

2. DV700 connects via Ethernet then you link it to the alto then you link that combo to the Strato.

3. You load all of your Blu-ray and dvds into the dv700 and upgrade pricing will appear once they are catalogued, (pricing will stay engender if you remove Blu-ray)

4. When you play a Blu-ray through the Strato, the Lumagen selects the alto and disc is played through that, it’s very seamless.

5. Upgrade offers are available for 4k with WarnerBros, Lionsgate, Select Paramount, Universal. HD digital offers same but also fox.

·
Registered
21,215 Posts
1. Firstly you can buy a costar License for the Lumagen so you do not need to buy the costar switch. (Not sure of price)

2. DV700 connects via Ethernet then you link it to the alto then you link that combo to the Strato.

3. You load all of your Blu-ray and dvds into the dv700 and upgrade pricing will appear once they are catalogued, (pricing will stay engender if you remove Blu-ray)

4. When you play a Blu-ray through the Strato, the Lumagen selects the alto and disc is played through that, it’s very seamless.

5. Upgrade offers are available for 4k with WarnerBros, Lionsgate, Select Paramount, Universal. HD digital offers same but also fox.
Great. thanks so much!

I take it then that the DV700 links to the Alto over the ethernet, with each connected by its own ethernet cable to the home network. That I do not have to link them together via any cable. thus I can have the DV700 upstairs in my home office away from my theater.

If I buy the CoStar license, then I don't need the CoStar switch AND am I correct in assuming both the Alto and the Strato C will have their own separate HDMI connection into the Radiance Pro?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
The DV700 just has to be added to your Encore K system. You do not specify an Alto. It just shows up as a Disc Server. Also, there is no ripping. As mentioned, you will play blurays from the actual physical disc stored in the a disc Server. DVDs in the DV700 will play directly from the Strato without using the Alto. Really, the Alto just becomes a disc player for Blurays stored in the Dv700. You pair the specific Strato with the Alto and then select the interface type. (K switch, Lumagen, Crestron). None of the options including the pairing screen will appear until you have the appropriate license. I have two of these setups and they actually work quite well. It does take time for discs to spin in the server and load. SJ

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Great. thanks so much!

I take it then that the DV700 links to the Alto over the ethernet, with each connected by its own ethernet cable to the home network. That I do not have to link them together via any cable. thus I can have the DV700 upstairs in my home office away from my theater.

If I buy the CoStar license, then I don't need the CoStar switch AND am I correct in assuming both the Alto and the Strato C will have their own separate HDMI connection into the Radiance Pro?

Thanks.
DV700 is just Ethernet. Only video outputs will be from the Strato or Alto. There is a Lumagen setup screen where you tell the Pro which HDMI inputs are paired. It then selects the appropriate input based upon the content. I use the Lumagen interface in our theater and the K switch costar in our family room. SJ

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Great. thanks so much!

Thanks.
Steve,
Do you remember how I insisted that you should get a Lumagen :D:D see... now you can have a seamless setup with the Costar built in the Lumagen!!
Also, consider getting the 3U server - that way the Blu Rays can sit on that instead of the Disc Player...
Ash

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
If you are entering the disc to catalog and keep for playback, then put it in the vault. If you are putting in the disc just to get a digital offer, then I'd think it's easier to just put it in the Alto and buy off the pop-up right there. Quicker in and out cause you won't keep the disc in a vault once you have D2d'ed it.

Reactions: JFR0317

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Sony too. Although in my limited experience, it appeared Sony had $5.99 BD to HD pricing, but not cheaper BD to 4k pricing. I tried Spider-Man: Far From Home and the D2D price from BD to 4k was $18.99, which was the existing store price. I was hoping for $11.99. Can someone confirm about Sony movies and D2D pricing, please?

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Sony too. Although in my limited experience, it appeared Sony had $5.99 BD to HD pricing, but not cheaper BD to 4k pricing. I tried Spider-Man: Far From Home and the D2D price from BD to 4k was $18.99, which was the existing store price. I was hoping for $11.99. Can someone confirm about Sony movies and D2D pricing, please?
I took a quick look for titles I own....

Own bluray quality or disc, 11.99 to upgrade to 4K, Blu-ray Disc to bluray quality, 5.99. DVD disc to bluray quality, 8.99

There might be differences for newer titles....

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts

Own bluray quality or disc, 11.99 to upgrade to 4K, Blu-ray Disc to bluray quality, 5.99. DVD disc to bluray quality, 8.99

Good, thanks! Spider-Man must have been an outlier then.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Sony must have some sort of timeframe for offering 4K upgrades or has stopped offering them on new titles.

I upgraded a bunch of Sony older movies to 4K for $11.99, but newer titles are like A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will do Disc to HD digital for $5.99 but they are still $19.99 and $24.99 for disc to 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Steve, I recently did what you are wanting to do and am thrilled with it.

I already had the Strato / Terra.

I decided to buy an Alto because I wanted to take advantage of 4K upgrade offers for movies I had on Blu-ray. I had tons of movies that offered 4K upgrades and the Alto works great for this.

After I got the Alto, I still had a lot of Blu-ray Disc that either didn’t have disc to digital rights, or they didn’t have 4K offers. So I decided to add a DV700 for those disc.

I have a lot of Blu-ray movies that still have disc to HD for $5.99, but for now I just let them play directly from the DV700. That way, when the movie becomes available in 4K, I will only have to pay the 4K upgrade price. For example, Jaws. I could have paid $5.99 to convert from Disc to HD digital already, but for now I just play the Blu-ray in the DV700. I am just waiting for the 4K version to show up in the K store, and then just pay the $11.99 price to go from disc to 4K digital, instead of paying $5.99 for disc to HD and then the 4K upgrade for $11.99.

Just to clarify one thing you mentioned above. When the DV700 is added to the Alto / Encore system, it does not rip the Blu-ray to its hard drive. It just plays the disc directly from the vault over its Ethernet connection. Because the disc has to physically load, there is maybe a 15 second delay before the movie starts, compared to a movie saved on the hard drive, which plays instantly. But with the disc loaded in the vault, it functions just like a movie downloaded from the K store. It starts playing directly from the movie, bypassing all the preview, and you have scene access, etc. The only difference is the 15 second delay at the start.

The Strato / Terra paired with an Alto / DV700 just offers a much more complete solution for dealing with and upgrading an existing Blu-ray movie catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: matth22 and JFR0317

·
Registered
21,215 Posts
Steve,
Do you remember how I insisted that you should get a Lumagen :D:D see... now you can have a seamless setup with the Costar built in the Lumagen!!
Also, consider getting the 3U server - that way the Blu Rays can sit on that instead of the Disc Player...
Ash
Ash, for several years after I got my Radiance Pro in Sept 2017 I was AFTER YOU to get one. HA!:D:D:D

Reactions: JFR0317

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Just wanted to post a quick note that Kaleidescape is looking into BR2049 still. They are looking at the source file and their encode. Redoing a movie is a slower endeavor for a team already working on new content, I'm told. Will update with more when I know more.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Just wanted to post a quick note that Kaleidescape is looking into BR2049 still. They are looking at the source file and their encode. Redoing a movie is a slower endeavor for a team already working on new content, I'm told. Will update with more when I know more.
Good to hear - it needs a cleansing...

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Good Update.

Do you know if K will release movies such as 'The High Note' being released direct to home on Roku - Xfinity - Vudu etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Any update on Jaws 4K HDR?

6141 - 6160 of 6629 Posts