AVS Forum banner

6321 - 6340 of 6647 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hi all! I am looking to up my video performance by with a Kaleidescape player and a Lumagen Pro processor.

I am totally new to Kaleidescape and will be looking to buy on the used market. Are any of the Strato models the proper gear for me to be looking for? Are there any gotchas a new guy should be aware of?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Yea

Get serial numbers first and check with K to see if its stolen gear.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
What are you using the Alto for? Normally you would pair the Alto with a DV700. If you want an integrated library view, this requires costar. Therefore, your entire library would show up integrated and you would insert a disc into your Alto to play (vs the Alto playing discs stored in the DV700). There is a switch to control HDMI output or use your Lumagen. Either requires a costar license if you want an integrated library. You could run them separate and then the alto would show physical discs you have cataloged and your Strato would show only downloaded movies. Also, if you don’t have costar, the Alto would also show any HD movies you have downloaded to your Terra. SJ
Just got the Alto today. Guess what - I do not need CoStar, if I only have my Terra Server, Strato C, and Alto, the Alto integrates with my pre-existing Encore system. Really cool And any DVD and blu ray I insert, I have a choice of cataloging it into my system - and then if I choose a movie or concert which is cataloged (whether from KStore or a disc I've cataloged via Alto), if I need the disc inserted in the Alto it tells me and I insert the disc.
Very cool! So I will be able to see on screen my entire disc collection, and for those not on my Terra Server, I can simply insert and play them via the Alto. Very Very COOL!

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
How is it handling playing a physical disc from the Alto? Are you manually selecting that HDMI input? I must be missing something. With costar, you have an integrated view (from the Strato) of movie downloads and physical discs that you own (which you have inserted into the Alto and cataloged). You can then select a movie (from the Strato). If it is a movie download, it will play directly from the Strato. If it is a physical disc, you would then insert it into the Alto (if you also had a DV700 you would not do this) and when you hit play, costar would then switch the HDMI output to the Alto. Seems without costar, you would be managing the library separately and not everything would show up on one system. Which might be OK anyway. Some folks prefer. Regardless, glad things are working! SJ

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
How is it handling playing a physical disc from the Alto? Are you manually selecting that HDMI input? I must be missing something. With costar, you have an integrated view (from the Strato) of movie downloads and physical discs that you own (which you have inserted into the Alto and cataloged). You can then select a movie (from the Strato). If it is a movie download, it will play directly from the Strato. If it is a physical disc, you would then insert it into the Alto (if you also had a DV700 you would not do this) and when you hit play, costar would then switch the HDMI output to the Alto. Seems without costar, you would be managing the library separately and not everything would show up on one system. Which might be OK anyway. Some folks prefer. Regardless, glad things are working! SJ
My theater is down for upgrade and renovation Strato C is in basement old 5.1 system for now conected via HDMI to Onkyo receiver. Alto is in bedroom connected direct to HDMI input of a 2014 LG 4k but non-HDR tv. Playing either player gets me to my ONE Kaleidescape interface, which in settings shows both players. CoStar as I understand allows you to have, with physical CoStar switch or Lumagen CoStar software, one HDMI input instead of 2 both players. So when my theater is done, I may well get CoStar software for Lumagen so that all Kaleidescape players, Strato C and Alto, are combined into one HDMI source on the Lumagen Radiance Pro. Keep in mind Alto is an Encore, not a Premiere, component Now if I add a DV-700 Premiere Disc Vault, then I must have CoStar to integrate the DV-700 Premiere with the Encore Terra Server and Strato C. Again, from my initial experimentation today (I have more to do in coming days), my entire pre-existing Terra Server menu and discs come up when I hit "Menu" on remote for the Alto, the library is combined YEA!

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
What if you use an Alto without a Costar? I have a single Terra and a couple Strato S players. Would you still be able to store movies on the same Terra my Stratos do?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
What if you use an Alto without a Costar? I have a single Terra and a couple Strato S players. Would you still be able to store movies on the same Terra my Stratos do?

Thanks!
Yes, the Alto should play any HD or DVD quality movie stored on the Terra. Just not any 4K HDR. This may require you to download an additional copy. You can also store HD movies on the Alto, but the system will default to your Terra for downloads (if on). SJ

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
COVID is slowing down access to NBCU catalog titles and the upcoming Fox updates. As I understand things, much of Hollywood remains out of office and in a reduced mode of work.
Mingia with the corona already :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21,218 Posts

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
I setup the Alto with my prior Strato C (Terra Server in home office upstairs) with my Lumagen Radiance Pro (when my theater gets back up these components all go in theater) and I am getting the combined menu of 4k, blu ray and dvds. YEA! However, I've checked with Kaleidescape and in order to play everything properly, this does require getting the CoStar software, which I'll have tomorrow, with the Alto and Strato C each connected via HDMI to the Radiance Pro, however they recommend since the Radiance Pro has dual HDMI input cards to use separate HDMI inputs with at least one HDMI input inbetween as one connects via HDMI.

I setup my disc racks in my unused living room! I have already taken several hundred concert blu rays and DVDs and using the Alto I've entered and categorized them in my Kaleidescape system. So if I select that concert, the display simply tells me to insert the disc because its not hard drive of the Terra Server or Alto.

I have many 4k discs which the digital copy in Kaleidescape is only blu ray. I have setup a new Kaleidescape category "4k Player insert disc) to tell me if I want to play that movie to simply play the 4k disc on my Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k player. Also, if I want I can erase the blu ray on the Kaleidescape hard drive, then reinsert the blu ray version of the 4k movie, re-enter and categorize the movie. Very nice!

And of course I have lots of blu rays not on my Kaleidescape hard drives. I can enter and categorize each blu ray movie onto the Kaleidescape system, and as the movie is not on the hard drive, it will tell me to insert the disc. Very nice indeed.

Very impressed with the Alto. Seems very very well built and very solid construction.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Big sale going on for super hero movies, FYI. Covers Marvel, DC, X-Men, and so on. Do searches for your favorite titles to find them.

Reactions: SJHT

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Big sale going on for super hero movies, FYI. Covers Marvel, DC, X-Men, and so on. Do searches for your favorite titles to find them.
Thanks but really waiting for the now once again dormant Atmos/DTS:X codec initiative to show progress.

Few nice things happened and then silence again... and what happens to the teased 20th century Fox atmos title from 2 months ago?

There are many titles I would buy if proper audio was added - but without, I wait...

Also what happens to the redo of the redo of BR2049

Most businesses are working reasonably well in remote and socially-distanced office scenarios so I cringe a little in anticipation of a COVID-19 answer...😊

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
I recently suggest to Mark Waldrep, AIX Records (96-24 music blu rays and dvds with video), that he look into having his products sold on the Kaleidescape store.
I got a most interesting response:

"Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a story about Kaleidescape. I met with the people there many years ago in Palo Atlo, I think. I met the main guy Michael Malcolm who offered me a ride home the following morning on his private jet. As the son of a pilot and aspiring pilot myself, I was thrilled beyond belief. Michael flew his lawyer to Los Angeles, back to the bay area and then flew home to Aspen…and he was the pilot. Amazing.

I will reach out to them again…it would make a good addition to their platform.

Mark"

http://www.aixrecords.com/

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bought 31 or so movies haha. I now only need 5 MCU ones to complete the collection.

Reactions: llang269

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Bought 31 or so movies haha. I now only need 5 MCU ones to complete the collection.
Don't ask me how many I bought. I'm ashamed! :eek:

Reactions: llang269 and SJHT

·
Registered
477 Posts
How is that plenty of shiny discs are being released every week; COVID-19 doesn't seem to be slowing that down while K has come to a grinding halt?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
How is that plenty of shiny discs are being released every week; COVID-19 doesn't seem to be slowing that down while K has come to a grinding halt?
Without new titles to release on disc, the studios seem to going into more of their catalog on 4k releases, many of which were already 4k digital.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
6321 - 6340 of 6647 Posts