186 Posts
Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Can someone please comment on the price to go from SD DVD to HD digital rights in the store via D2D? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
The problem with K-Scape, and it is a BIG one, is that equipment and movie access is contingent upon them staying in business. If they do go under (as they almost did in the past), all that investment goes POOF! unless some industrious hacker comes up with a way to break their closed system. There is no plan to "untether" the files from their servers given studio mandates, at least from what I gathered at the last CEDIA held in Denver before the pandemic. You are left to their mercies.

That is the risk with going digital without physical backups like discs.

Maybe some of you guys/gals have the means to recover and move onto collecting from some other source, but the vast majority would be out of luck. That's why K-Scape or anything like it, besides its overpriced hardware and lack of fail-safe backup in case the servers go dark, would never become mainstream.

That is what scares me with the thought of HD and 4k discs finally becoming a super niche product that many studios abandon. Most of us are stuck with K-Mart grade streaming as the alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Dan, Soon your not even going to be able to purchase any physical media. We are moving on to the digital world regardless if we like it or not. So there will be no backup media. And Kaleidescape is heavily backed and not going anywhere.

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
Dan, Soon your not even going to be able to purchase any physical media. We are moving on to the digital world regardless if we like it or not. So there will be no backup media. And Kaleidescape is heavily backed and not going anywhere.
Heavily backed by whom? Now that so many studios are trying to make their own way in the digital realm with their own app platforms, whose to say they won't start getting more aggressive with their licensing agreements and pricing, especially Disney/Fox (take a look at the muscle they put on Netflix, even cancelling their Marvel TV properties whilst pulling their titles, so Netflix had no more exclusive Disney content after their agreement fell through due to Disney+), which puts in jeopardy the licensing of the AACS DRM keys and A/V files that K-Scape currently supports?

There is also the issue of server hardware prices. K-scape upcharges by quite a lot. People have put together NAS systems for their ripped disc collections at a fraction of the cost. Thus, it relegates K-Scape to a niche within a niche market.

Again, I did not get the "warm fuzzies" from my last go-around with them at CEDIA. I felt I was talking to some huckster marketers rather than a technically savvy company.

To the buyer, beware.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
I think KScape buyers have been successful enough in life to figure out for themselves the pros and cons and determine if they want spend the $$ and any associated risks. What in life doesn't have its associated risks? Thanks to Covid-19 and more folks staying at home, I suspect KScape is doing better than before even. If you want lesser risk than buy compressed files from Apple, Vudu, MoviesAnywhere, etc and thats fine for most folks. But there definitely is an upscale market for Kaleidescape. I am very impressed with my system and with their customer service as well.
Maybe there should be a separate thread for certain folks who are not KScape owners and who are not seriously interested in spending the $$ to own KScape!

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
I think KScape buyers have been successful enough in life to figure out for themselves the pros and cons and determine if they want spend the $$ and any associated risks. What in life doesn't have its associated risks? Thanks to Covid-19 and more folks staying at home, I suspect KScape is doing better than before even. If you want lesser risk than buy compressed files from Apple, Vudu, MoviesAnywhere, etc and thats fine for most folks. But there definitely is an upscale market for Kaleidescape. I am very impressed with my system and with their customer service as well.
Maybe there should be a separate thread for certain folks who are not KScape owners and who are not seriously interested in spending the $$ to own KScape!
I agree. K seems to be in a great position at this point given what is happening to discs and our current environment. Also, our internet was down a few weeks ago and it didn't stop us from watching K movies. Anything you have stored on your system is always playable. You just can not download movies from the store. Seems like you could keep going (if K was not around) until a component failed. There are now 376 movies available in 4K from K that are not available on disc....
SJ

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
@Dan Hitchman ...

The problem with K-Scape, and it is a BIG one, is that equipment and movie access is contingent upon them staying in business.
Everything you use is contingent on a system, service, or company to use it. A PlayStation game needs a PlayStation console. A disc needs a player of the proper format. An eBook from Amazon needs a Kindle. I don't see the concern there, personally. Apple almost went bankrupt in the 1990's. Do people fear so much for their iPhone's longevity?

Maybe some of you guys/gals have the means to recover and move onto collecting from some other source
I use my Kaleidescape for pinnacle quality playback of movies in my theater room. I also use Apple TVs in both my theater and living room for content not available from or that doesn't really need the quality that Kaleidescape provides. I maintain a library of content via Movies Anywhere and iTunes. I have confidence in the company, but if somehow Kaleidescape became a non-solution, I'm just going MA/iTunes all the way and hope some day maybe they opt to push for higher fidelity streaming.

That is what scares me with the thought of HD and 4k discs finally becoming a super niche product that many studios abandon. Most of us are stuck with K-Mart grade streaming as the alternative.
It's pretty clear that discs are a diminishing technology. To date, no other provider has seen fit to deliver high fidelity digital content to the home, other than Kaleidescape. I really want Kaleidescape to be and stay successful to fill that niche. Streaming has really improved itself, but it's still a far cry from discs or Kaleidescape. If Kaleidescape is too expensive for you today, then wait and see what happens in the future.

Heavily backed by whom?
Lots of uber rich wealthy people, right? ;)

Now that so many studios are trying to make their own way in the digital realm with their own app platforms, whose to say they won't start getting more aggressive with their licensing agreements and pricing, especially Disney/Fox (take a look at the muscle they put on Netflix, even cancelling their Marvel TV properties whilst pulling their titles, so Netflix had no more exclusive Disney content after their agreement fell through due to Disney+), which puts in jeopardy the licensing of the AACS DRM keys and A/V files that K-Scape currently supports?
Not really. You're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, studios are pulling titles from Netflix for their own services, but that's for packaged subscription service. They aren't pulling those titles from iTunes or Vudu for sale. Those studios are going to remain happily selling content to people that want to buy it for a long time aside from particular things they may develop specifically for their services.

With regards to pricing, some weeks back Disney actually dropped their standard digital prices of content on Kaleidescape and Vudu. Disney Kaleidescape titles went from a high of $33.99 to $26.99. Kaleidescape has licensing agreements in place with all the carried studios. Store content at Kaleidescape has grown significantly over the past 2 years with new titles, new studios, and as mentioned 370+ more titles in 4k than have seen disc release. The content stack is going the other way from what you suggest.

There is also the issue of server hardware prices. K-scape upcharges by quite a lot. People have put together NAS systems for their ripped disc collections at a fraction of the cost. Thus, it relegates K-Scape to a niche within a niche market.
You can build and manage your own server and rip your own discs. Sure, the hardware costs of this are cheaper, but be prepared to spend the time, effort, and develop your technical know-how to support it. Speaking at an expert level as someone that did all that before, I'm far happier turning on my Kaleidescape in my theater than futzing my time away with the DIY alternative.

Also, a DIY solution requires getting ahold of discs and being able to rip them in order to have content. A new AACS revision to those discs, and you may be done ripping for a while, possibly indefinitely. Plus, you're banking your content source on a waning technology. Let alone again the 370+ and counting 4k titles on Kaleidescape that haven't and may never see 4k disc release.

That said, of course I wish the price points were cheaper too. Who doesn't want to spend less money on things. I'd happily buy a Ferrari for $30k.

To the buyer, beware.
To the owner, a toast. 🍻 For the simple, awesome, high fidelity solution we enjoy in our theaters that sources us so much content and just works when we turn it on.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts

FYI, someone on the owners forum built a script that I understand is the entire MCU in chronological order. Need to check it out firsthand, so I can't comment, but here it is.

·
Registered
495 Posts

FYI, someone on the owners forum built a script that I understand is the entire MCU in chronological order. Need to check it out firsthand, so I can't comment, but here it is.
That would be me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JaremyP

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Thank you. I saw the Marvel script download earlier today but there was no download button - now there is and I am downloading it.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
That would be me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, nice! Thanks. I'm eager to check this out, but I need to buy a few more of the titles still to have them all available.

FYI as well, I shared the script in the FaceBook group (citing you as the creator). I tried to link it, but it didn't work, so I just attached the script file directly there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oddly, it's showing that I'm missing some titles even though I have them. Is it because I have the HDR version vs. the HD version? Just curious why that would be happening.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree. K seems to be in a great position at this point given what is happening to discs and our current environment. Also, our internet was down a few weeks ago and it didn't stop us from watching K movies. Anything you have stored on your system is always playable. You just can not download movies from the store. Seems like you could keep going (if K was not around) until a component failed. There are now 376 movies available in 4K from K that are not available on disc....
SJ
The other day when I tried to play a movie when internet was down, it wouldn't play and I can't figure out why that was.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oh, nice! Thanks. I'm eager to check this out, but I need to buy a few more of the titles still to have them all available.

FYI as well, I shared the script in the FaceBook group (citing you as the creator). I tried to link it, but it didn't work, so I just attached the script file directly there.
That's perfectly fine with me, just a FYI, I just released V2 that fixed a couple errors.

Reactions: telem and SJHT

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
That's perfectly fine with me, just a FYI, I just released V2 that fixed a couple errors.
Yes, I saw that, thanks. I added a link the actual script thread to my FaceBook user group post about it. (y)

6341 - 6360 of 6647 Posts