AVS Forum banner

6361 - 6380 of 6647 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Heavily backed by whom? Now that so many studios are trying to make their own way in the digital realm with their own app platforms, whose to say they won't start getting more aggressive with their licensing agreements and pricing, especially Disney/Fox (take a look at the muscle they put on Netflix, even cancelling their Marvel TV properties whilst pulling their titles, so Netflix had no more exclusive Disney content after their agreement fell through due to Disney+), which puts in jeopardy the licensing of the AACS DRM keys and A/V files that K-Scape currently supports?

There is also the issue of server hardware prices. K-scape upcharges by quite a lot. People have put together NAS systems for their ripped disc collections at a fraction of the cost. Thus, it relegates K-Scape to a niche within a niche market.

Again, I did not get the "warm fuzzies" from my last go-around with them at CEDIA. I felt I was talking to some huckster marketers rather than a technically savvy company.

To the buyer, beware.
When many of the executives at those studios are heavily invested into K, along with many of the producers/directors/writers/actors/etc., K has positioned itself to lead in a very particular market. So in some ways they are backed by those who's content they are providing.

What you get with K is not only the convince of their system, but the reliability and quality that can't be found in any streaming service. So yes, you pay more for it than building your own NAS and ripping your own content (which will become harder in the future as physical media dries up), but it's an investment that is well worth it for many. Also, there is the often overlooked factor of time when it comes to building your own media server. How much is your time worth? I know what I charge people for my time, and if I were to add up all the hours spent building, tweaking, maintaining and collecting content, the costs in time would quickly add up to the point that a K system is a much better alternative.

Also, we could be seeing some new features down the road that I think will make many K users happy and excited.

Oddly, it's showing that I'm missing some titles even though I have them. Is it because I have the HDR version vs. the HD version? Just curious why that would be happening.
If the system doesn't detect a display capable of supporting the version in question, it won't show that version in the navigator.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
When many of the executives at those studios are heavily invested into K, along with many of the producers/directors/writers/actors/etc., K has positioned itself to lead in a very particular market. So in some ways they are backed by those who's content they are providing.

What you get with K is not only the convince of their system, but the reliability and quality that can't be found in any streaming service. So yes, you pay more for it than building your own NAS and ripping your own content (which will become harder in the future as physical media dries up), but it's an investment that is well worth it for many. Also, there is the often overlooked factor of time when it comes to building your own media server. How much is your time worth? I know what I charge people for my time, and if I were to add up all the hours spent building, tweaking, maintaining and collecting content, the costs in time would quickly add up to the point that a K system is a much better alternative.

Also, we could be seeing some new features down the road that I think will make many K users happy and excited.

If the system doesn't detect a display capable of supporting the version in question, it won't show that version in the navigator.
I am really quite blown away by Kaleidescape!

I've had a Terra Server 40TB and Strato C player for over a year now.

I recently added an Alto 6TB. Although I have a Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k universal player. So why did I add the Alto?

(1) It allows me to catalog in my Kaleidescape system every single blu ray and dvd I have, even if I choose not to buy them from the Kaleidescape store if they are available. I have catalogued about 600 blu ray discs and another several hundred dvd. I also have over 200 4k discs and I was able to catalog the blu ray disc that came in 99% of them, then categorize each as a "4k blu ray disc" so I'll know to place the disc in my 4k Pioneer player (if I don't buy the version from the store which often has an upgrade price of $11.99 to $15.99, not will all studios, price if upgrade available determined by studio). And I've categorized my dvds as "DVD disc", blu ray discs as "blu ray disc", even categorized
those 3D blu-rays as "3D blu-ray disc". I have about a dozen primarily 2L label Auro-3D blu ray audio discs which I've categorized as "Auro-3D blu-ray disc" and the few Dolby Atmos concert/music blu-rays (Kraftwork) I have categorized as "Dolby Atmos music blu-ray disc". Nifty.

(2) I get the upgrade price if available on catalogued dvds and blu ray discs; including the price to convert a dvd or blu ray disc to the Kaleidescape hard drive version at a reasonable price.

(3) The Alto will load dvds and blu rays and play them without all the previews, etc that are bothersome.

This is only in addition to all the pros that have been mentioned recently in this thread.

Kaleidescape is not for everyone. Nothing is. But I am sold!

·
Registered
741 Posts

an example for “Martin Scorsese” using Kaleidescape for his own viewing know that’s K have solid ground even the lock down in 2016 was even less than month and come back stronger and wish for them all the best what a device make my watching more enjoyable I had an oppo 203 just for some 3D and I don’t remember when was the last time I run the oppo for watching must remove the dust form it and watch tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Walt Disney Co. is putting its unreleased film “Mulan” -- the live-action remake of the animated hit -- on its new Disney+ streaming service for a fee of about $30.

Disney has already gone straight to Disney+ with a release earlier this year that was originally intended for theaters, “Artemis Fowl.” But “Mulan” is the type of big-ticket release that Disney is known for unleashing on the world with a thunderous marketing blitz. If that type of film can go straight to Disney+, perhaps anything could.

It’s also the first time Disney+ will offer a movie for a fee beyond the monthly price of the service. If you’re Apple Inc., Comcast Corp. or any of the dozens of other companies that offers pay-per-view digital rentals, you’re watching that move very carefully -- Disney just eliminated the middleman.

__

I hope Kaleidescape Can Get on This Bandwagon

·
Registered
495 Posts
Walt Disney Co. is putting its unreleased film “Mulan” -- the live-action remake of the animated hit -- on its new Disney+ streaming service for a fee of about $30.

Disney has already gone straight to Disney+ with a release earlier this year that was originally intended for theaters, “Artemis Fowl.” But “Mulan” is the type of big-ticket release that Disney is known for unleashing on the world with a thunderous marketing blitz. If that type of film can go straight to Disney+, perhaps anything could.

It’s also the first time Disney+ will offer a movie for a fee beyond the monthly price of the service. If you’re Apple Inc., Comcast Corp. or any of the dozens of other companies that offers pay-per-view digital rentals, you’re watching that move very carefully -- Disney just eliminated the middleman.

__

I hope Kaleidescape Can Get on This Bandwagon
I wonder how long before it could get on kscape, I'd rather not have to buy it on 2 services if possible.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder how long before it could get on kscape, I'd rather not have to buy it on 2 services if possible.
The $30 fee on Disney+ is a rental, not a purchase, so I imagine it will be quite a while before it makes it to other platforms as a purchase.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The $30 fee on Disney+ is a rental, not a purchase, so I imagine it will be quite a while before it makes it to other platforms as a purchase.
Who am I kidding, I'll still get it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's just too high for me. $20 rental for Trolls World Tour made sense, but $30! I mean, com'on. Just wait a few more months and you can buy it for that price or, for a few more bucks, own it. It really feels to me that Disney did not do their market research on this, or is it just me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A representative for Disney Plus confirmed to Insider the $29.99 is not a one-time rental charge. Disney Plus subscribers "will have continuous access to the film for as long as they remain subscribers to the service."

Insider

·
Registered
325 Posts
A representative for Disney Plus confirmed to Insider the $29.99 is not a one-time rental charge. Disney Plus subscribers "will have continuous access to the film for as long as they remain subscribers to the service."

Insider
That's good, I wonder what happens if you unsubscribe and then re-subscribe again at a later date. Regardless, it seems ridiculous to me that they are doing purchases through a subscription service that you have to maintain a subscription to, to access, instead of through their regular retailers like iTunes/Google/Vudu/KScape etc.

·
Registered
818 Posts
That's good, I wonder what happens if you unsubscribe and then re-subscribe again at a later date. Regardless, it seems ridiculous to me that they are doing purchases through a subscription service that you have to maintain a subscription to, to access, instead of through their regular retailers like iTunes/Google/Vudu/KScape etc.
Actually, this is a very good ploy by Disney.
Especially if they make this an exclusive feature of their service.
That is, by getting you to buy this movie as a first run VOD rental - albeit at a high cost, they give you an incentive to keep paying $5.99/mo for the service in order to retain access to these first run movies long term.

Also, imagine if Disney releases all or most of their movies - day and date on Disney plus.
The consumer gets access to these movies months before any other outlet except theaters.

Who knows when and how this pandemic will end, doing this gives Disney the most flexibility.
Now, they can release the movies in theaters in China and Canada, and release to VOD in the US.
And nothing stops them from releasing it to theaters once the pandemic clears up in the US.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lumagen Radiance Pro is adding a feature for Strato users, which sounds really cool!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
In the wake of the Mulan to Disney+ news, the rumor that Disney is starting a real trend of diminished physical media releasing, and the overall changeover of content from physical to digital like we enjoy with Kaleidescape, I'd like to start a dialog/feedback regarding the following types of questions:
  • Why do you maintain a library of video content?
  • Why do you "collect"?
  • What factors, reasons, emotional return, logistical reasons, etc. drive making acquisitions into your library?
  • What kind of gratification does maintaining a library provide you?
  • What can Kaleidescape do to better cater to the collector and library building psychology?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
In the wake of the Mulan to Disney+ news, the rumor that Disney is starting a real trend of diminished physical media releasing, and the overall changeover of content from physical to digital like we enjoy with Kaleidescape, I'd like to start a dialog/feedback regarding the following types of questions:
  • Why do you maintain a library of video content?
  • Why do you "collect"?
  • What factors, reasons, emotional return, logistical reasons, etc. drive making acquisitions into your library?
  • What kind of gratification does maintaining a library provide you?
  • What can Kaleidescape do to better cater to the collector and library building psychology?
Thanks!
Reasons for buying (physical media in my case as I don't yet have a Kaleidescape):

• Not trusting any particular service to be around forever. If I buy it I own it.
  • Repeat viewing of movies I truly love
  • Bonus features - commentary tracks etc
  • Ability to loan a movie to a friend
  • Not gonna lie, it's a little bit of taste-signaling - a library lets friends and visitors know you're a cinephile of (hopefully) good taste

Re: Kaleidescape - ability to rent a movie with rental price applied to purchase would go a long way (I rarely buy movies I have not seen, and because I watch so many movies via Netflix disc, streaming or VOD, the K-Scape being used only for library titles makes it an expensive proposition). If I could rent a movie for, say, $5 for 24 hours (obviously there'd be a higher price for current PVOD releases), and then have 30 days to decide to purchase before it auto-deletes, that would go a long way towards making the platform the central component of my movie-watching.

Edit to add - regarding my first bullet point, it would be helpful if Kaleidescape offered an escape hatch of sorts, that if the service goes away, already purchased and downloaded movies will play without needing to check in to the mothership. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but my ability to play Blu Ray discs is not contingent upon the original distributor being a going concern.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Edit to add - regarding my first bullet point, it would be helpful if Kaleidescape offered an escape hatch of sorts, that if the service goes away, already purchased and downloaded movies will play without needing to check in to the mothership. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but my ability to play Blu Ray discs is not contingent upon the original distributor being a going concern.
This is already true for any content loaded on your K player(s). There is no check in when you start to watch a movie. Once it’s downloaded, it’s yours for as long as the K Player keeps physically functioning (I.e. hard drive crashes).

You would only care if you owned more content than you could fit on your player. Then you could buy more players, buy a Terra (file server) or live with being at the mercy of K’s download service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Reasons for buying (physical media in my case as I don't yet have a Kaleidescape):
  • Not trusting any particular service to be around forever. If I buy it I own it.
  • Repeat viewing of movies I truly love
  • Bonus features - commentary tracks etc
  • Ability to loan a movie to a friend
  • Not gonna lie, it's a little bit of taste-signaling - a library lets friends and visitors know you're a cinephile of (hopefully) good taste
Re: Kaleidescape - ability to rent a movie with rental price applied to purchase would go a long way (I rarely buy movies I have not seen, and because I watch so many movies via Netflix disc, streaming or VOD, the K-Scape being used only for library titles makes it an expensive proposition). If I could rent a movie for, say, $5 for 24 hours (obviously there'd be a higher price for current PVOD releases), and then have 30 days to decide to purchase before it auto-deletes, that would go a long way towards making the platform the central component of my movie-watching.

The problem with physical media is more and more companies are getting out of the hardware side of things. Even K is seeing hardware supplies for physical media dry up.

Regarding an ability to rent on K..... just stay tuned. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi folks. I’m considering the Strato.

sorry if this isn’t quite the right forum to ask this. But I read Bill Hunt’s recent review and he mentioned that sometimes K does their own encoding so we can get higher bit rates than even physical media.
I’m wondering: does K get the same nearfield (home video) audio mixes that studios use for all downstream deliveries? Or do they ever get the theatrical audio and encode that?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi folks. I’m considering the Strato.

sorry if this isn’t quite the right forum to ask this. But I read Bill Hunt’s recent review and he mentioned that sometimes K does their own encoding so we can get higher bit rates than even physical media.
I’m wondering: does K get the same nearfield (home video) audio mixes that studios use for all downstream deliveries? Or do they ever get the theatrical audio and encode that?
AFAIK they do all their own encoding, which means they aren't restricted to physical disc sizes, but I believe they get the same audio to work with as everyone else and will be equal in quality to disc releases.

6361 - 6380 of 6647 Posts