AVS Forum banner

6421 - 6440 of 6639 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I don’t see the value prop here, folks. I spent $200K on my theater room (not including furniture), and it’s hard to beat. I still don’t see the value in this unit.
If I’m going to spend this much on a media player, it better offer superior audio and video vs other formats. And this does not. In many cases, it’s inferior.
Plus, when this company goes under — which I think it wil, as streaming services continuously improve their A/V quality, you’re left with a very expensive paper weight.

Help convince me otherwise...
Per the other replies, sounds like you already talked yourself out of it.

I'd suggest reading back through this thread and various dialog there at the owner's forum if you want to reconsider, as essentially, some of the points you are citing are inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I don’t see the value prop here, folks. I spent $200K on my theater room (not including furniture), and it’s hard to beat. I still don’t see the value in this unit.
If I’m going to spend this much on a media player, it better offer superior audio and video vs other formats. And this does not. In many cases, it’s inferior.
Plus, when this company goes under — which I think it wil, as streaming services continuously improve their A/V quality, you’re left with a very expensive paper weight.

Help convince me otherwise...
If you spend $200k, then why would you supply it nothing but the best in available content, especially when a K System can start for well under $10k? Really?! With a Sony 995ES as your projector?

In terms of quality. Sorry, no streaming service or streaming hardware beats it, especially in audio. In terms of convenience. Yeah, you have to wait for content to fully download, but even at modest internet speeds (100-300MBit/s) you'll download a 2 hour 4K HDR movie in a 2 to 3 hours. In terms of catalog. Constantly getting better.

If I'm putting in a $200k theater for a client... the K is not even an option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will always buy the version on disc if possible, but with the war on discs being a very real thing and streaming just not cutting it, the K seams like the only other option.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I will always buy the version on disc if possible, but with the war on discs being a very real thing and streaming just not cutting it, the K seams like the only other option.
What is the "war on discs" you are referring to? I also purchase disc versions for all my movies, I do not stream movies nor do I have a NAS storage for the same(yet). I've not purchased a movie in over a year now, building a new home, the theater is the last priority, that said, I'm hoping to complete before Xmas. For the first time, I am considering the Kaleidescape or NAS storage options, curious to know what is the war on discs, this is the first I've heard of it. Kaleidescape is most interesting for simplicity, however, I cannot overlook the instability that has followed this company over the years. Oppo, for example, had a solid product yet they are dissolved, Kaleidescape being a much more expensive niche market product has an even greater challenge, IMHO.

I'm going to investigate new and used options very soon. What would be recommended, and what do I need to rip my current library? I don't need to store all my BD 1000 + movies, I'd say half would be enough though.

Reactions: Surge2018

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
There are a substantial amount 4k titles on the Kaleidescape store that are not available on disc. Like I’ve said before, Discs are going away.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
What is the "war on discs" you are referring to? I cannot overlook the instability that has followed this company over the years. Oppo, for example, had a solid product yet they are dissolved, Kaleidescape being a much more expensive niche market product has an even greater challenge, IMHO.

I'm going to investigate new and used options very soon. What would be recommended, and what do I need to rip my current library? I don't need to store all my BD 1000 + movies, I'd say half would be enough though.
I have to agree with a lot of this. Although in the 4K realm Kaleidescape has a lot of titles, it is a niche (being kind) and the company has unfortunately left me with a little shaky feeling regarding their viability. I love their products I have a large Premiere system and a Strato yet I love old films and frequently in their store there is a no HD version which is available on Blu Ray.

I think the company does a good job and deserves our support but not with blinders on.

Art

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
What is the "war on discs" you are referring to? I also purchase disc versions for all my movies, I do not stream movies nor do I have a NAS storage for the same(yet). I've not purchased a movie in over a year now, building a new home, the theater is the last priority, that said, I'm hoping to complete before Xmas. For the first time, I am considering the Kaleidescape or NAS storage options, curious to know what is the war on discs, this is the first I've heard of it. Kaleidescape is most interesting for simplicity, however, I cannot overlook the instability that has followed this company over the years. Oppo, for example, had a solid product yet they are dissolved, Kaleidescape being a much more expensive niche market product has an even greater challenge, IMHO.

While I do not own Kaleidescape I do love the idea of it. The only reason I have not invested is that I am very concerned that they will go under.

Ripping your discs is not nearly as easy as it should be especially when there are situations where characters in an English language movie are speaking another language and English subtitles are present. That is a complete mess and just about impossible.

The other issue is that while you can use Plex through Apple TV or Nvidia shield the Apple TV does not allow for Dolby Atmos.

The main boxes that people use for this are not easy to work with or to get functionally with Control 4 etc
Dune, Zidoo and Zapitti boxes all have their own issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
While I do not own Kaleidescape I do love the idea of it. The only reason I have not invested is that I am very concerned that they will go under.

Ripping your discs is not nearly as easy as it should be especially when there are situations where characters in an English language movie are speaking another language and English subtitles are present. That is a complete mess and just about impossible.

The other issue is that while you can use Plex through Apple TV or Nvidia shield the Apple TV does not allow for Dolby Atmos.

The main boxes that people use for this are not easy to work with or to get functionally with Control 4 etc
Dune, Zidoo and Zapitti boxes all have their own issues.

Thank you for the input. I'm looking closely at Zappiti now actually, their 4K NAS seems to be the better choice for my needs. With the K, I'd need two players, one newer unit to store titles and a second older unit to rip older titles. With K, as I understand, when you add from your own library ( I have 1000 or more) you have to pay a fee for each one. With the Zappiti you just rip away adding all older and new purchases. Owner feedback for Zappiti is mostly positive and the software seems to be as good as any.

I see you mentioned they "all" have issues, including Zappiti, though from my initial investigation, nothing too concerning. I haven't yet decided, but based on features, price, and my extensive older library which has to be included (ripped), I'd say the Zappiti is looking to be a strong contender. One big positive for Zappiti is that if the company does go out of business, I'll still have all the hard copies, a bonus hard to overlook.

Kaleidescape's history has been rocky, to say the least, up to this point, I never really had confidence they would remain in business. Now in the new COVID era moving forward ( cannot say post-COVID for a while), I have the feeling this may be a boon for their business. Theaters may never recover and people, in general, will probably never feel comfortable in large-close proximity venues, therefore I expect many will change habits and be more likely to stay at home for theater entertainment. Maybe I'm wrong, we shall see.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
There are a substantial amount 4k titles on the Kaleidescape store that are not available on disc. Like I’ve said before, Discs are going away.
I just purchased an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, couldn't believe it does not have a disc player. I guess physical discs are going away at some point, but for movies, I'm not sure that would happen any time in the near future. I personally like having a physical copy, and hope this continues for movies, games, and music. Downloading any electronic file requires due diligence to protect one's investment, the vast majority just don't back up or store security keys. I've already lost titles that companies conveniently deny providing a replacement without the security key, likely lost with the original purchase following a crash of hardware, etc. Like everything provided by internet based companies, looing the security key is good for business, a physical copy ensures you have what you paid for.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just purchased an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, couldn't believe it does not have a disc player. I guess physical discs are going away at some point, but for movies, I'm not sure that would happen any time in the near future. I personally like having a physical copy, and hope this continues for movies, games, and music. Downloading any electronic file requires due diligence to protect one's investment, the vast majority just don't back up or store security keys. I've already lost titles that companies conveniently deny providing a replacement without the security key, likely lost with the original purchase following a crash of hardware, etc. Like everything provided by internet based companies, looing the security key is good for business, a physical copy ensures you have what you paid for.
It sounds like you may not have seen this:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Doesn’t that now say at the bottom there are no plans to discontinue any format now?
We'll see, but it seem the writing is on the wall. Mulan should be an interesting case study since it has been released internationally, but only on Disney+ in the US. Has there been any announcement about a disc release yet?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I do wish there was a Strato with a disc slot to accomodate my existing physical media library. I could see making future purchases through the Kaleidescape store, but I'd like to be able to import my existing disc library (even if forced to retrieve the disc and insert it into the unit for a play as validation that I do own the content). I gather you can do this by combining a Strato system with an older Alto player, but it'd be nice to be able to do this with current-gen hardware.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Thank you for the input. I'm looking closely at Zappiti now actually, their 4K NAS seems to be the better choice for my needs. With the K, I'd need two players, one newer unit to store titles and a second older unit to rip older titles. With K, as I understand, when you add from your own library ( I have 1000 or more) you have to pay a fee for each one. With the Zappiti you just rip away adding all older and new purchases. Owner feedback for Zappiti is mostly positive and the software seems to be as good as any.

I see you mentioned they "all" have issues, including Zappiti, though from my initial investigation, nothing too concerning. I haven't yet decided, but based on features, price, and my extensive older library which has to be included (ripped), I'd say the Zappiti is looking to be a strong contender. One big positive for Zappiti is that if the company does go out of business, I'll still have all the hard copies, a bonus hard to overlook.

Kaleidescape's history has been rocky, to say the least, up to this point, I never really had confidence they would remain in business. Now in the new COVID era moving forward ( cannot say post-COVID for a while), I have the feeling this may be a boon for their business. Theaters may never recover and people, in general, will probably never feel comfortable in large-close proximity venues, therefore I expect many will change habits and be more likely to stay at home for theater entertainment. Maybe I'm wrong, we shall see.
I own the Zappiti and while it will play discs the user interface is maddening and slow in my opinion. It will not handle subtitles properly (for English language movies).

Correctly ripping discs can also be a real chore if you are trying to create an mkv file vs an ISO copy of the entire disc. Zapitti does not handle disc menus correctly all the time.

Bottom line is I have been where you are and bought a synology 8 bay drive with eight, 10Tb drives. I have about 900 discs most of them 4K. I have temporarily given up and I am waiting to see how plex progresses as it does handle subtitles but it will not pass Dolby atmos to Apple TV.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I own the Zappiti and while it will play discs the user interface is maddening and slow in my opinion. It will not handle subtitles properly (for English language movies).

Correctly ripping discs can also be a real chore if you are trying to create an mkv file vs an ISO copy of the entire disc. Zapitti does not handle disc menus correctly all the time.

Bottom line is I have been where you are and bought a synology 8 bay drive with eight, 10Tb drives. I have about 900 discs most of them 4K. I have temporarily given up and I am waiting to see how plex progresses as it does handle subtitles but it will not pass Dolby atmos to Apple TV.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

The Zapitti NAS may be the way to go. That is what I have not tried. I would love to hear your feedback if you purchase one.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The Zapitti NAS may be the way to go. That is what I have not tried. I would love to hear your feedback if you purchase one.

I had the Zap nas for a while. It does what it says it will do - rip discs without any fuss. I think the drawbacks were
  • the zappiti interface is not as polished as kaleidescape. It's just not as smooth and responsive and, well, polished. Thats not a problem if you've never used a kscape system, but if you have, the Zap interface is a bit of a letdown
  • the player is, as you know, not a 100% reliable. For me, I'd have a 2-5% false start rate where a movie would play with no sound. IT wasnt a hard fix - just exit and trying again would fix the problem, but was annoying nonetheless.

6421 - 6440 of 6639 Posts