AVS Forum banner

6481 - 6500 of 6639 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Well that is not good. I guess K is not going to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’ve nowhere near the number of 4K discs you have, and I suspect it would change my sentiments if I did.

My plan is to sell those 4K and Blu-ray discs that I do have for the purpose of offsetting the repurchasing from K.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No but has been mentioned, your only way to get a large portion of 4k movies will be steaming since they are not on disc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that is a concern. We are just now seeing studios do this. If most studios drop the discs within the next year or so without full quality 4K streaming, I will have to make a decision to accept crappy streaming audio (video is very good in my opinion) or buy K.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Yes I purchased 600+ 4K discs. I assume your whole 4K collection is in K? Or various streaming services ?

Yes. My entire 4k collection and Blu-ray and dvd collection is on my terra server. I gave my discs away to friends. It hurt at first , and I was not able to get every movie , but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
21,217 Posts
Almost all 4k discs come with a companion blu ray disc. You can do what I did. Get an Alto blu ray player. This allows you to catalog the blu ray discs from the 4k sets. You can even do as I did and assign a new category like "4k disc" to the cataloged blu ray discs (in the 4k companion sets) so you know that you have the disc. Then you can either play the 4k disc in a 4k player, or a good share of the time there is an upgrade price, often $11.99, from HD to 4k in the KScape store if you want the movie/video on your KScape hard drive. But do this and you can see all of your collection, discs and KScape store, on your KScape screen!

Reactions: Karl Maga

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Almost all 4k discs come with a companion blu ray disc. You can do what I did. Get an Alto blu ray player. This allows you to catalog the blu ray discs from the 4k sets. You can even do as I did and assign a new category like "4k disc" to the cataloged blu ray discs (in the 4k companion sets) so you know that you have the disc. Then you can either play the 4k disc in a 4k player, or a good share of the time there is an upgrade price, often $11.99, from HD to 4k in the KScape store if you want the movie/video on your KScape hard drive. But do this and you can see all of your collection, discs and KScape store, on your KScape screen!
Interesting. Thanks. I do have most of the blu-rays that came with the 4K discs (gave some away and threw some away).

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I am still going to keep up with K and I do hope it succeeds. Maybe a change in policy will make it more enticing for me sometime in the future.

600 4K discs - you are too vested in UHD BD Shiny Discs and you gave away the BD's So I can understand ... you are SOL..

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Here is a quick read on the Kaleidescape file sizes compared to streaming. The video is up to 12 times more data and the audio is up to 50 times larger.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It’s funny the people that come on here and bring up the fact that they shut down for like 2 weeks and are worried about there financial situation now. It’s like they just want to bring that up over and over to talk themselves out of buying.

I personally think they have had there best year this last year with the amount of studios they have continued to add, the fact they confirmed updated audio on Fox and Universal titles (COVID delayed it) and basically we know rentals are coming to to store based on screen shots pf commentaries only available on purchase...

I am not the least bit worried...

I understand Ash Sharma point of view about movies have to rebuy them I lucked out and was able to buy when Ultraviolet was still a thing and had pretty much all movies transfer over except Fox and Disney and just decided to rebuy them, went all in as I love the system so much, I love we I long in in the morning and there is a 4K Disc to digital update for a movie.

I do the same thing that Steve does with 4k and Blu-ray movies that I have on disc but aren’t on the store
i created 2 separate playlist of the Blu-rays I have store on my Alto/DV700 and so I know to play the 4k disc in my Oppo and if it would get added to Store I just sell disc on EBay also just sell digtal code right away so basically get close to breaking even...

I bought Stratos for Parents and Sister and they use my store Account to download and watch and if is disc movie that not in store is ome they want to see buy on vudu...

Best purchase I have ever made....

Few missing studios and would love rentals/Day and Date other than that wouldn’t ask for a thing else.

After this past year very confident in them...

·
Registered
739 Posts
It’s funny the people that come on here and bring up the fact that they shut down for like 2 weeks and are worried about there financial situation now. It’s like they just want to bring that up over and over to talk themselves out of buying.

I personally think they have had there best year this last year with the amount of studios they have continued to add, the fact they confirmed updated audio on Fox and Universal titles (COVID delayed it) and basically we know rentals are coming to to store based on screen shots pf commentaries only available on purchase...

I am not the least bit worried...

I understand Ash Sharma point of view about movies have to rebuy them I lucked out and was able to buy when Ultraviolet was still a thing and had pretty much all movies transfer over except Fox and Disney and just decided to rebuy them, went all in as I love the system so much, I love we I long in in the morning and there is a 4K Disc to digital update for a movie.

I do the same thing that Steve does with 4k and Blu-ray movies that I have on disc but aren’t on the store
i created 2 separate playlist of the Blu-rays I have store on my Alto/DV700 and so I know to play the 4k disc in my Oppo and if it would get added to Store I just sell disc on EBay also just sell digtal code right away so basically get close to breaking even...

I bought Stratos for Parents and Sister and they use my store Account to download and watch and if is disc movie that not in store is ome they want to see buy on vudu...

Best purchase I have ever made....

Few missing studios and would love rentals/Day and Date other than that wouldn’t ask for a thing else.

100% agree and I remember my first order was before the 2 weeks shut down and my dealer told me if I want the refund coz still not received my first K unit and was have faith and convince that it will resume to work and that’s exactly what happen even more stronger they lunch the starto C and then upgrade the strato to S model they add tons of studio and lately resolve universal immersive audio and fox soon as the announce and also add a marine devision services which is expand there market and have full support from the industry u can see that in the demo rooms for many brands they lay down on K

All that happen when I saw a demo on premiere system and see how great is from all aspect is it 100% cover my need ? Sure not but nothing cover all the need here where I have oppo and apple tv and soon xbox to cover my needs and happy to be K user and will support them as much I can

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Damn dude, what’s got you so worked up about a reasonable concern? It’s prudent to consider the long term viability of the provider one might choose for a content library. Especially so if the effort and treasure spent amassing said library were at risk in the event of the company’s cessation of operations (again). Nothing speculative about it.
I think you need to re-read the comment. It’s not me that got worked up. I’m perfectly happy with the situation.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Well I have some idea since they recently went out of business (and were revived by a cash infusion from somewhere). But you are right, I have no idea if they are sitting on $200 million in cash and are profitable or if they are hanging on by a string. Thus my wish for them to be public.

They had a short-lived, tough moment in 2016 (4 years ago). The last 4 years have been nothing but them adding capabilities and content regularly to the platform with enough studio support to have 400+ more movies in 4k than appear on disc.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
What hardware would I need to buy from K to “transfer” 600 4K discs onto K? Would the discs need to stay in a K vault or can I load them to prove I own them, pay the fee and then download the file as needed?

If you bought 4k discs, you should have also received an HD Blu-ray disc in with most, if not all of them. You would use the HD BDs to D2D for digital rights in the Kaleidescape store. In many cases, you can upgrade D2D using an HD BD for $11.99 - $15.99. This would be your only option, and not all studios offer such D2D (ex. Disney). In order to accomplish this, you would need an Alto, essentially, to feed the discs through one-by-one.

Reactions: farsider3000

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
You are incorrect in your assumption (in my case), I'm a Kscape owner; Strato S and Alto 4TB. Was the shutdown a factor in my decision? Yes, as part of risk analysis. Clearly, I decided to roll the dice.

Good point, it's encouraging, and illustrates both positive progress and additional value.

... and just decided to rebuy them, went all in as I love the system so much, I love we I long in in the morning and there is a 4K Disc to digital update for a movie.
Yes! This is the experience I anticipate, and look forward to! (I literally just purchased my Kscape units last week).

As I'm a noob, could you please elaborate on the missing studios, and the rentals?

I don't want to misconstrue your meaning... are you saying there was a point where your confidence was not as high as it is now? Based upon what?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I guess an alternative question to ask is: how many of us have regretted our K purchase? I know we always wish for better prices, more features, yada yada yada, but do we have any regrets? I have 3 Stratos throughout the home and a Terra for storage. It's a great system and I would hate being without it.

·
Registered
21,217 Posts
Another point of view. I am LAZY. I COLLECT. I like being able to see everything that I have easily. For audiophile music, I use ROON music software and I have over 7,000 albums, many hi-res, on my server. I can listen to ROON music not only in my dedicated home theater (currently being upgraded and renovated), but also the main family room/kitchen area (great now that I am on diet plan and cooking lots more and losing weight), basement 5.1 OLED system (I have exercise equipment there). All of my albums you can see and access on my laptop, iPhone & iPad Pro.
With Kaleidescape, all of my video (thanks to using Alto to catalog blu rays and DVDs) I can see on my KScape screen on my video display. And I have set up my Boltz racks in another room in my home, so if I do want to want to watch a disc, once I identify the disc via the KScape screen, I can easily and quickly find it (alphabetical sorting helps) and play it whether blu ray/DVD in Alto (or 4k disc player) or 4k disc (in 4k player) - or I can choose in most cases to pay the upgrade to the KScape store version for my Terra Server.

Reactions: telem and A7mad78

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Should we ask the OP of this thread to change the price since it is not the correct prices.
1. Yes
2. Seems like you just did
3. Looks like he is “Banned”

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Why does K scape need a special file? I don’t understand why the studio would not just provide the exact file from the 4K blu-ray for instance. This would eliminate the sub-par video / audio like on the K version Blade Runner 2049 that went through multiple tweaks / improvements on the K system.

Also need to know if I do use my blu-rays that came with my 4K discs to upgrade to the K movie do I need to physically place the blu-ray in a K player each time I want to download / watch?

6481 - 6500 of 6639 Posts