AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 8855 Posts

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #661
@beastaudio @HuskerOmaha @Gorilla83 @Scott Simonian @RMK! @LTD02 @Ricci @lukeamdman @stormwind13 @popalock @dominguez1 @FOH

and any of the other forum regulars and g2g regulars (no slight intended by not calling someone specifically out -- most of the guys on the list host g2g's or attend g2gs, or contribute to the community.....excessively) ---

I know this isn't a world beater g2g concept compared to some of them, but it should be fun, and easier to do than most. At any rate I'll extend the 'invite' to see if you out of towners might want to attend our brewing processor auto eq comparison meet. Sat, Nov 1st date (planned tenatively until we firm up some committments)?

My basement theater room can seat quite a few if we move the theater chairs to the back of the room and make 2 or 3 rows of folding chairs. I'd probably have to set a hard limit somewhere, if interest goes high, which it won't likely do --- but I'll throw it out there anyway.

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
Whoa!!! We could compile g2g's as I am likely doing one tht same weekend and have an unbeatable day! I however have a guest coming that will make it worth the time to come if you can. Jon, pm me for some info if you would like to know a little more.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
@desertdome,
Thanks for the input! The point of the comparison, as I see it currently, is to see how each processor calibrates and sounds in comparison to one another. If we start 'undoing' all the things the auto eq processors do, we may end up with much more similarities than differences - - - and not really determine how they are 'intended' to sound by their individual designers or manufactorers.

IE - if you turn off all EQ functions, DSP functions, Audyssey functions, MCACC functions, perfectly level match each, and set crossovers identically - I doubt we could tell the difference between a Pioneer with MCACC, and an Onkyo with Audyssey - in fact I know that - because @carp, and I have tested that before in my old room ---- however - if you let each processor do what it does, and leave it at the manufactorers recommended settings (or close to) --- I suspect we will get very different presentations. I think it would probably be most interesting (and easiest) to compare how each vendor handles it's auto eq out of the box, instead of trying to interpret how we could make it sound the best possible - which is ineveitably subjective, and which the methods to get there won't be agreed upon by any 2 enthusiasts.

For instance - My Denon 4520CI with Audyssey platinum sets my crossover to 60hz on the Mackie, (too low) turns on Dynamic EQ, turns on Dynamic volume to medium (????), and runs the subs significantly hotter than my Onkyo PR-SC5508 did with its Audyssey multiEQ XT32 which also set crossovers to 60 or 70hz, turns on Dynamic EQ, but leaves off Dynamic volume - and the subs on the Onkyo preamp were set way too low IMO.

As to more or less speakers --- @stitch1 and I did some testing with 5.2 vs. 7.2 vs 9.2 at my new house with the Onkyo PR-SC5508 and the Mackies. Stitch1, IIRC preferred 7.2 over 5.2 over 9.2. I was mostly indifferent to 9.2, which is why I don't currently even have the 9.2 setup enaged and am just using 7.2 I liked 7.2 over 5.2. I haven't tried 9.2 with the Denon yet. But something like Trinnov might shine when you give it the full 9 speakers --- and with the cost of entry on a processor like that - you'd better give it the chance to shine because why else would someone buy something like that if you were only going to use 5 speakers and call it a day. If something can do more with more - then it seems like you'd like to showcase that?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I will pass. The trinnov is not an av receiver pre pro. Your comparison is slanted toward consumer room correction versus something different with the trinnov. I would like to attend though. Pm me about early trinnov vs audyssey.

by the way Sherwood not withstanding which would be a fine comparison... But I sold it.

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
I will pass. The trinnov is not an av receiver pre pro. Your comparison is slanted toward consumer room correction versus something different with the trinnov. I would like to attend though. Pm me about early trinnov vs audyssey.

by the way Sherwood not withstanding which would be a fine comparison... But I sold it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We have family coming in for Halloween and will be taking all the kids around the neighborhood. Its my wife's favorite holiday and may have parties to attend that weekend so I will have to wait and see. I talked my wife into a vacation that is a week before the meet. She wasn't all that excited about it and so I booked it anyways a couple weeks ago. Some 1099's mysteriously showed up and I have made a mess once again working on those. Then last Friday I was in an accident and my car was totaled, so needless to say I am in the doghouse right now and don't even have a car to get away. I have been a lousy member of the KC group, missing most of the recent GTG's, and all I got for you now is a big maybe. :eek:

I think they should be set up with avs best practices, such as the user guides for each room correction. 80hz crossovers... Heck mine has set different crossovers on different runs. Also maybe Denon would set a different crossover than Onkyo using the same audyssey iteration? I am not interested in hearing anything with a volume compression setting turned on. Would you want to focus on the mlp or seeing which one has the best average over seats?

What I would be interested in is a comparison like you did with the amps. That was some good ole objective info. Such as baseline at 1 meter and at mlp for speaker such as center and/or another front channel speaker, and subwoofers close mic and in seat... Then focusing on the mlp for setup and measuring the eq done by each in same postitions at mlp and 1m to see how much each changes the native response and how they did at eqing the mlp. This would take quite a chunk of time to do however.

Listening to different material between them won't really amount to a hill of beans. It would have to be the same content to be comparable.

Randy that Trinnov you have is some serious gear that far surpasses these receiver's and takes a good amount of setup. Plus you had it professionally installed and setup in your place. Great for your space and demoing on a theater crawl, not so easy to setup for a comparison like this. IMHO I wouldn't touch a thing for a gtg that may alter your results at home. If you did bring it and I am there I will do my best, but it would be my first time at it and may take a day on its own and Archaea will probably invert the connections anyway. :p You guys are welcome to use the sherbourn amp whether I make it or not.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Jonathan, if the boys back east have any interest in coming out we should pick a different date. Plus I think we should pick a date that Luke can be there.

Luke that SUCKS man!!! Did you get hurt at all?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hey Randy, I never got a PM, what system are you talking about? :)
Sorry, not sure why my pm's are not working. It is a system that has the top,of the line (at the time) Dali speakers. Can't rembermber their names. They are two columns each and about 7 ft tall. Pretty impressive. I forgot though that he is trying to sell them so need to chech if he still has them and would be available for you to listen if you are interested...2 channel stuff.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
We have family coming in for Halloween and will be taking all the kids around the neighborhood. Its my wife's favorite holiday and may have parties to attend that weekend so I will have to wait and see. I talked my wife into a vacation that is a week before the meet. She wasn't all that excited about it and so I booked it anyways a couple weeks ago. Some 1099's mysteriously showed up and I have made a mess once again working on those. Then last Friday I was in an accident and my car was totaled, so needless to say I am in the doghouse right now and don't even have a car to get away. I have been a lousy member of the KC group, missing most of the recent GTG's, and all I got for you now is a big maybe. :eek:

I think they should be set up with avs best practices, such as the user guides for each room correction. 80hz crossovers... Heck mine has set different crossovers on different runs. Also maybe Denon would set a different crossover than Onkyo using the same audyssey iteration? I am not interested in hearing anything with a volume compression setting turned on. Would you want to focus on the mlp or seeing which one has the best average over seats?

What I would be interested in is a comparison like you did with the amps. That was some good ole objective info. Such as baseline at 1 meter and at mlp for speaker such as center and/or another front channel speaker, and subwoofers close mic and in seat... Then focusing on the mlp for setup and measuring the eq done by each in same postitions at mlp and 1m to see how much each changes the native response and how they did at eqing the mlp. This would take quite a chunk of time to do however.

Listening to different material between them won't really amount to a hill of beans. It would have to be the same content to be comparable.

Randy that Trinnov you have is some serious gear that far surpasses these receiver's and takes a good amount of setup. Plus you had it professionally installed and setup in your place. Great for your space and demoing on a theater crawl, not so easy to setup for a comparison like this. IMHO I wouldn't touch a thing for a gtg that may alter your results at home. If you did bring it and I am there I will do my best, but it would be my first time at it and may take a day on its own and Archaea will probably invert the connections anyway. :p You guys are welcome to use the sherbourn amp whether I make it or not.
Sorry about the accident...hope you are ok. You are right about the Trinnovand it really is a pro piece even with DB25's as connectors....strictly audio and no HDMI etc. more computer really. That said, I would not be afraid of you working on it. My settings actually are saved on a thumb drive and I think Curt Hoyt has them saved on his computer in LA. The trinnov can be tuned remotely by using a virtual network. Although Curt did come to my house. It is automated but then you can customize.

I also,have been kind of a lousy kc member group.guy but my excuse is I am old:)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Thanks for the shout out @Archaea. If I were closer, I would be attending for sure! I don't really have business in the area either, so tough to get to.

I'll just have to watch from the sidelines...

661 - 680 of 8855 Posts