AVS Forum banner

8421 - 8440 of 8855 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our family wants to vacation in Colorado this year. We are thinking Rocky Mountain National Park, but are open to suggestions. We have a small popup camper but don’t need electric/water.

Any suggestions?
Have you considered Montana (Notably Glacier National Park and Yellowstone) instead?

:)

Attachments

Reactions: Archaea

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Have you considered Montana (Notably Glacier National Park and Yellowstone) instead?

:)
Those two are next on my NP list.

I did love RMNP as well. I took my Jeep (long gone) there and did a few mild dirt switchback trails that were plenty hairy for the uninitiated. Long wheelbase trucks need not apply. Was Trail Ridge Road the one that goes up to the continental divide? It is a must see whatever it is called.

We hiked up Longs Peak while we were there and I can only describe it as epic. It is a strenuous hike with a 14,000 plus foot peak. I can't remember but we started around 8 or 9,000 feet and maybe went 15 miles or so in total. I think we started around 3:30 AM to make sure we were well off the peak by 11. It really feels like an adventure when you are there and just may redefine the word "mountain" for first timers! I want to do it with my boys when they are old enough. There are places where a child (or adult) could fall to their death fyi.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,423 (Edited)
@jedimastergrant.

14K feet is no joke. Air is thin there for us ~800 foot from sea level dwellers. I think I'd have to start running and get into good cardio shape before tackling a hiking trip like that. A co-worker did Long's peak and he told a similar tale - - that it's tall enough you don't mess around with it, and you do NOT want to get caught in a unexpected storm up there.

We decided on RMNP. We will go in late summer - if you want a week long campground rental inside the park you literally have to plan six months out. Every week they open up the reservation schedule for the week six months out. By EoW it's slim pickings again for a full week's reservation. We were later in the week and there were three sites with full weeks open I think? Out of Hundreds of sites available. We luckily got a pretty good one I think (from the limited pictures online at the National Park website) Otherwise you'd have to piecemeal a few days in per camp site and just move around to find openings if you wanted to stay a full week (which I was in favor of to see different areas of the park, but my wife was against it thinking it would just introduce stress moving the camper around). I'm excited.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Well fellas, I've been thinking about a movie night actually... Turns out the wife has to go out of town for the weekend of March 28th and 29th, so I could definitely do that weekend. Wouldn't have to worry about disturbing a pregnant lady or a 2 year old either!

Only downside if some of you don't know is that I am located in Wichita KS. We can do a movie day earlier on Saturday if people are planning on driving back that evening. I have a few beds available as well, but we can cross that bridge if need be depending on timing and interest.

I am really hoping to have the near field subs in by then, but we'll see what I'm able to do... Anyways, let me know what you all think and if you want to travel that far.
That's too bad, I have to go to Denver that weekend for my brother's wedding.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,426 (Edited)
I watched Aquaman tonight for the first time. This is pinnacle example where great audio cannot save a movie. Lots of demo quality clips for both audio and visual, but sadly, the movie is generally just bad.

The non stop bass, was crossing into the too much category at the same spl trims I normally quite enjoy. I finished the movie with a headache, assumedly from all the low frequency bass that is in nearly every scene - but it might be from trying to follow all the furiously paced action and fight sequences that made no sense and managed to seem so boring I almost fell asleep. I NEVER fall asleep in a movie, ever, but I caught myself feeling like I might nod off in the final battle. Maybe it was my brain rebelling against this nonsense/going into self protect mode.

# Not a fan of Aquaman

Pro side - nice bass mixing with lots of sweeps, lots of texture and wobble. Lots of bass “notes” and not just rumble.

Negative side - it hardly ever lets up during its extreme run time. I never thought I would get tired of bass sweeps in a movie till now.

Honest Trailers pegged this one:

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
I watched Aquaman tonight for the first time. This is pinnacle example where great audio cannot save a movie. Lots of demo quality clips for both audio and visual, but sadly, the movie is generally just bad.

The non stop bass, was crossing into the too much category at the same spl trims I normally quite enjoy. I finished the movie with a headache, assumedly from all the low frequency bass that is in nearly every scene - but it might be from trying to follow all the furiously paced action and fight sequences that made no sense and managed to seem so boring I almost fell asleep. I NEVER fall asleep in a movie, ever, but I caught myself feeling like I might nod off in the final battle. Maybe it was my brain rebelling against this nonsense/going into self protect mode.

# Not a fan of Aquaman

Pro side - nice bass mixing with lots of sweeps, lots of texture and wobble. Lots of bass “notes” and not just rumble.

Negative side - it hardly ever lets up during its extreme run time. I never thought I would get tired of bass sweeps in a movie till now.

https://youtu.be/ltX3WHGaTDY

I liked the movie, but I know what you mean about there is a lot of bass through out the whole thing. I was watching this in my theater back a few months ago when my wife and mother in law were taking down all the
Christmas decorations and they said it was really loud where they where. I didn't have it even neat reference and I am only running one 12" sub powered at 200 watts.

It was more comic book then some of the other DC movies, especially Black Manta's suite. It at least has some good tracks for testing your system to me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Need people’s opinions. I’m going to be trying to demo some subs here soon, but I want to know what others would do.

2x JTR Captivator 4000ULF
Or
4x Full Marty 18s

Thoughts on which way to go? Marty’s would cost around 3k to 3.5k with amps all in and the Captivators obviously more.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Need people’s opinions. I’m going to be trying to demo some subs here soon, but I want to know what others would do.

Or
4x Full Marty 18s

Thoughts on which way to go? Marty’s would cost around 3k to 3.5k with amps all in and the Captivators obviously more.
What subs are you going to use for the Marty's? Also, it may depend on your room. 4 Marty's in the corner or in the middle of each wall would be a good balance throughout the room.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What subs are you going to use for the Marty's? Also, it may depend on your room. 4 Marty's in the corner or in the middle of each wall would be a good balance throughout the room.

The subs in the martys would be Dayton UM18-22 Ultimax 18s. The room they will be in is roughly 14 feet wide with straight walls going back and open behind the seating. If I did the captivators I would do boss seating as well with the captivators in the front. If I did martys I’d probably do 2 front and 2 nearfield behind seating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well fellas, I've been thinking about a movie night actually... Turns out the wife has to go out of town for the weekend of March 28th and 29th, so I could definitely do that weekend. Wouldn't have to worry about disturbing a pregnant lady or a 2 year old either!

Only downside if some of you don't know is that I am located in Wichita KS. We can do a movie day earlier on Saturday if people are planning on driving back that evening. I have a few beds available as well, but we can cross that bridge if need be depending on timing and interest.

I am really hoping to have the near field subs in by then, but we'll see what I'm able to do... Anyways, let me know what you all think and if you want to travel that far.
Hey @blister64, I live in Wichita as well and would like to meet up with you. If you are willing, PM me your info or I can send you mine

·
Registered
3,899 Posts

Or
4x Full Marty 18s

The Captivator 4000ULF's we are using at AXPONA are being pre-sold at a reduced price. If you decide to go that route (which I recommend), then I could possibly bring them back in my enclosed trailer.

I'm just getting ready to finally work on my home theater and could have picked from many subwoofers or made my own fairly cheap since I'm a dealer for Dayton, B&C, Eminence, and LaVoce 18" and 21" drivers. However, the subwoofer as a complete package is best when designed by Jeff/JTR Speakers. The woofer is optimized for the power supply with very precise adjustments made to the impedance curve. The enclosure size is optimized for the woofer/power. My first choice would have been the Captivator 4000ULF. I've heard it in 8-9 different rooms including my own house and it is my favorite. However, I need to create a plane wave in my new theater so really wanted 4 subwoofers facing forward with a depth less than 24". I decided to go with 4 Captivator S2 subwoofers. These will be located at the front of the room at the 1/4 points to create a plane wave.

If you haven't been before, you should consider visiting AXPONA in April. I'm in Nirvana C.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Captivator 4000ULF's we are using at AXPONA are being pre-sold at a reduced price. If you decide to go that route (which I recommend), then I could possibly bring them back in my enclosed trailer.

I'm just getting ready to finally work on my home theater and could have picked from many subwoofers or made my own fairly cheap since I'm a dealer for Dayton, B&C, Eminence, and LaVoce 18" and 21" drivers. However, the subwoofer as a complete package is best when designed by Jeff/JTR Speakers. The woofer is optimized for the power supply with very precise adjustments made to the impedance curve. The enclosure size is optimized for the woofer/power. My first choice would have been the Captivator 4000ULF. I've heard it in 8-9 different rooms including my own house and it is my favorite. However, I need to create a plane wave in my new theater so really wanted 4 subwoofers facing forward with a depth less than 24". I decided to go with 4 Captivator S2 subwoofers. These will be located at the front of the room at the 1/4 points to create a plane wave.

If you haven't been before, you should consider visiting AXPONA in April. I'm in Nirvana C.

Sent ya a Pm.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,434 (Edited)
Jeff of JTR makes an absolutely fantastic product in the 4000ULF, as anyone who heard them in the 2017 crawl can attest. Probably the single best I.D. or retail/vendor subwoofer I’ve heard. You cannot go wrong that way if the cost of entry is within your means.

I know several of us were considering if we should sell what we had for the 4000ulf after the 2017 crawl. It really put on an impressive show. @beastaudio, @Gorilla83, @carp, @femi etc...

I’ve heard the Full Marty flat pack you are looking at and it is very impressive as well, but I suspect it would take somewhere between 6-8 (probably closer to 8) of the full Martys with the UM18-22 to approximately match the output of the pair of 4000ULF. The Captivator drivers are more sensitive than the um18-22, and offer more excursion, and the speakerpower amps JTR use are fantastic amps.

Both paths are very good options as we talked about in person! I can’t see why anyone could be displeased with either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jeff of JTR makes an absolutely fantastic product in the 4000ULF, as anyone who heard them in the 2017 crawl can attest. Probably the single best I.D. or retail/vendor subwoofer I’ve heard. You cannot go wrong that way if the cost of entry is within your means.

I know several of us were considering if we should sell what we had for the 4000ulf after the 2017 crawl. It really put on an impressive show. @beastaudio, @Gorilla83, @carp, @femi etc...

I’ve heard the Full Marty flat pack you are looking at and it is very impressive as well, but I suspect it would take somewhere between 6-8 (probably closer to 8) of the full Martys with the UM18-22 to approximately match the output of the pair of 4000ULF. The Captivator drivers are more sensitive than the um18-22, and offer more excursion, and the speakerpower amps JTR use are fantastic amps.

Both paths are very good options as we talked about in person! I can’t see why anyone could be displeased with either.

Yes sir! I can safely say after having met you only 3 days ago in person you’ve already made me do a sub upgrade! Currently working on finalizing the Captivators now.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts

# Not a fan of Aquaman

https://youtu.be/ltX3WHGaTDY
No way you tapped out on a bass heavy movie Jon! I'll believe it when I see it. I think you let your dislike of the story cloud your AV judgement. The AV on this movie is superb. Yet another DC movie that absolutely crushes. Why can't Disney treat the Marvel Universe or ANY of their properties with the same respect? This is the type of experience that enthusiasts like us crave but even the general public should know the difference.

I will only offer a short critique of the film since this is an Audio Video Science forum. In short I agree with you that the movie is kinda dumb. However it doesn't take itself seriously and so it can get away with a lot. I would encourage you to try to turn your brain off every once in awhile and just go along for the ride. Just on occasion. It is strange though what movies we can and can't do this little trick with though and perhaps this is on that you just can't let yourself "go with it" and I understand that. I would say that most superhero movies have plenty of eye rolling moments but since Hollywood is churning those movies out I am trying my best to enjoy what I can and at least vocally support the movies that have engineers that loved and cared for the enthusiast community with the amazing detail to audio and video. I can't and won't defend the movie script but I do hope others especially enthusiasts give this one a chance.

I bought the Fast and Furious 8 movie collection for like $35 on UHD and DTS:X and I have just made my way through them. I used to be a hater of this franchise and then on this subsequent play through something changed and I was able to just go along for the ride. There is so much utter stupidity in this series I don't even know where to begin but here I am somehow enjoying it for pure entertainment value. The AV on these movies is just incredible btw. There are quite a few demo scenes. The DTS:X track is really mixed HARD! It is a spectacle. If taken as such then perhaps some fun can be had. I did really enjoy the series the second time through. Maybe I am actually losing brain cells and I am finally right in line with what Hollywood is selling these days. They are dumbing down franchises so they can all be billion dollar juggernauts and the the Marvel and Star Wars movies are a prime example.

I am currently half way through The Wolf of Wall Street and if you are ready for something heavy instead of the typical superhero fluff then this is your movie. It is excellent but hard to watch. Lots of experiences out there.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,437
I have limits Grant. For both bass and silliness.

;)

I asked another friend, to be unnamed, who generally has the same eye ball rolling limits as me what they thought about Aquaman? Could he handle it.

He said this helped

I said a pretty girl couldn’t save Aquaman any more than great audio. I reminded him we both disliked Need of Speed and Megladon having watched those together. I asked him if a pretty girl would salvage those two turds. He said it wouldn’t hurt them.

Haha

I told him he folds over principles like a wet napkin.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,438

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Has anyone been to the CEDIA EXPO before? I see it it is Denver this year. That would be a fun road trip to check out what is new and stuff I can only dream of owning.

https://www.cediaexpo.com/

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
In other news

JBLs running a special again on their 8” inwalls.

How can you beat these prices if you are building a secondary theater or budget theater?

$60 for a pair.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13895516-jbl-sp8ii-8-in-wall-loudspeaker-pair-refurbished-59-99-jbl-sp6ii-6-5-in-wall-loudspeaker-pair-refurbished-49-99-more-fsss?src=frontpage

Would the SP6CII OR SPC8II work for Dolby Atmos speakers? That's a price I could sell my wife on and force me to finish my room.

Jonathan,

I ought to have you over to see what you think of my space, but I go all in.

8421 - 8440 of 8855 Posts