AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new 70mm transfer to anamorphic DVD out Sept 5 of Baraka - This movie can serve as a great test of the Panny as it has some awesome scenic shots with multiple lighting characteristics, both light and dark contrast, etc.

(Also wanted to remind KBK and ManE about it - We've been waiting for the anamorphic version - I just pre-ordered it on Amazon)

ken

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris-

Yes it's a 2.35 (actually 2.20 to be precise) transfer. Baraka is one of the most unique expose's I've ever seen. The word 'Baraka' means Blessing in many languages around the world.

In the film there is no dialog, but it tells a story of 'Earth and Mankind' in an incredible way. It's shot in 24 different locations around the world drawing parallels in socialization between disparate locations and cultures. The images are spectacular and all set to music and sounds.

Although a terrible description really, in 3 words it might be described as Fantasia in Reality.

I think this would make an excellent demo and test DVD for the Panny given it's character and huge variety of shots;

We've been waiting for this new DVD release that is not only anamorphic, but is a complete remastering from, what I'm told, is the only 70mm original print remaining.

It is one of those rare productions that really shines on the big screen (the bigger the better!) and dares the latest technologies to fullfill its original scoping and presentation.

I was exposed to it's existence by KBK and ManE AVS members. - Thanks guys

ken

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Thanks Ken! This is one of the few DVDs that I intend to purchase (other than kids stuff). I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm on my way to Amazon now...

Thanks!

Interesting. $14.60 including shipping. The all new, better than ever version, is $5 less than the original DVD?! I don't get it. Well, I am getting it, but don't understand it.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man E-

Yes I was also surprised at the pricing. Thank you and KBK for enlightening me to this great film!

Chris-

Man E and KBK described it on the 'Best all Time Movie' thread a while back. Based on this I purchased the 'standard' dvd version and loved it - They were dead on target and we've been waiting for the anamorphic version ever since. Man E suggested an e-mail to the producer to get support for an anamorphic version (which I did along with others); so we've been doing a little behind the scenes lobbying; although I think they were already in the process of producing it at the time. Anyway, it looks like we will get our wish shortly!

ken

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yep! I've been waiting for it... the release is set for sept 9th, I believe. Here in Canada, it will propbably be a month before I get a copy. This film was shown in the Imax theater in Toronto (in 70mm form!), a while back..and I couldn't get there for it.

I don't use credit cards, and Amazon dosen't accept the only place I am registered with...paypal.

Anyone with a credit card and paypal account want to buy this for me? I'll dump $20 into their paypal account...

whops! yer right. it's sept 5th. just in time for the ole birthday....

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
115 Posts
sure Ken... I'll order it for you... anything for a fellow Canuck... I was going to order it myself.. might as well order two at the same time... email me to let me know if you want me to order it for you....

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OK! thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baraka, is an ancient Sufi word, translated as 'blessing', or the 'essence of life, from which the evolutionary process unfolds'.

As far as things to see on your PJ/sound system, this tops them all. Included is music from "Dead can Dance', ie, the voice of Lisa Gerrard. Please make sure the system is running perfectly, you don't want ANY tweaking, or playing with the system once this thing starts, at all. You have ben warned.

Share it with your partner, when you (both)see it for the first time. They will not forget this one.

It is a staggering piece of work. If this does not move you, nothing will.

If you go to see it for the first time, please prepare yourself.. quiet yourself down.. close your eyes.. take some deep breaths.. an hour, if that's what it takes. Then watch this piece of life.

It teaches you to stay away from the madhouse that western society tries to wrap you up in.. how it tries to command your life and existence. This film reminds you, nay SHOCKS you..that you fully know better..and MUST refuse. That the world was the world long before you came, and will be long after. that you may be here for a short time..but is it the last? the first? the only? How many times must you.. before you learn.... what you need to learn?

Most people learn on their deathbed.. that the way they led their life was wrong..and in that final moment...they can do nothing to repair the damage. They die knowing the pain, of not being able to correct it. Do you wish this horror for yourself? Live and grow...'life' IS 'change'. Anything else, is merely psychosis.

Turn the corner.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Ken:

Do you have Canadian source for that release ?

I will be happy to order one for you, as I am local (Canadian, that is).

- Andy

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Well, I wasn't going to watch it until I got my P752 anyway. <sigh>

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have received notification from Amazon that my copy of the newly mastered, anamorphic Baraka shipped today! Hmm, I'll be at Cygnus today, do you suppose?

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes. The ultimate reference DVD is born.. we hope. If the transfer is good, it will be the best demo/reference by a very long shot.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Registered
581 Posts
Has anyone viewed this dvd.

most Imax are in 4:3

I have seen some of the Imax before like Everest and Michael jordan which is 2.35:1 I believe these did not seem all that great.

So hopping for the best.

Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugomed (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hugo-

Not yet - Amazon is saying the release date slipped from Sept 5 to Sept 25; should know in a couple more weeks

ken

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Ken, if you pre-ordered, you should be receiving notice of shipment very soon. As I noted, mine is (on the ground) on the way to me.

------------------

Our Silent Angels

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.