AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up an NEC XG135 today that had a screen made of Ken's Screen Goo. I have but two words for the screen.

___I'm Impressed!!___

There was a slight amount of colorshift but absolutely no hotspotting and it was very bright (part of that was the XG). Don't ask me anything about the screen as all I know is it was sprayed on a drywall wall.

Nice job Ken!!

Terry

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
Terry ,

-- I agree , this stuff is AMAZING ! I was using it with a much lower output CRT PJ [ Panasonic PT-200 ] and the image was very bright with not a drop of colorshift or hotspotting . I am currently using the Parkland Plastic's screen [ about unity gain - 1.0 ] with my 1031Q and really need to paint it with some Screen GOO to get that brightness back that I had previously . I recall the Screen GOO to have a much deeper look to it as well , the 3-D effect was much better than that of the Parkland Plastics screen .

--- Best Wishes ,

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!

I deleted my response that looked like a freaking advert.

Let's just say that.. it's no wonder it looked brighter..with the reflectance of a mirror..and the level of 'active' particles (on/in the screen) exceeding anything else out there by a factor of at least 10.

Wait till you see the finished screens..they are a TOTAL step beyond.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That would probably not be feasible. We make funky frames..and the screen is done in a completely differnt manner than you are used to seeing screens done in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What would be the cost of a finished 4:3 84" Screen be? Is it shipped 'rolled' along with the frame? I've got a Zenith Pro851x projector. It looks like a lot of people are getting amazing results with your product, Ken.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That goo was on my mind all day. Really is kind of incredible the kind of results you can get. Ken I have another customer who has a 10 year old DaLite screen. I was telling him about goo today and he said he would like to try it.....but he has a custom wood frame around the existing screen material he doesn't want to remove. So the question is can he paint (spray) over the existing screen material??

Terry

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm the individual with the "goo" screen painted on the drywall that Terry is talking about.

Not having the experience that Terry has in viewing diffrent screens and pj combinations I'll let his expressed opinion stand......certainly I can say I'm quite pleased, impressed and even a little relieved.

I used a cup gun/air compressor (I'm no expert in spraying, very minimal experience) and I know I made some significant mistakes upon application of the goo primer/base (too embarrased to say) although the top coat was done without a hitch.

I sprayed a carefully measured dimension of my front wall (after making sure during the construction of the room that this section would be as flat and level as possible) but even still had a seam and more than one small imperfection on the surface.

I was relieved because after doing the spraying, but before viewing, I had to finish the room(Paint/carpet, etc) so I knew if it didnt pan out it would be a nightmare to redo.

It is also important to mention that the rest of the room was painted entirely flat grey/black with Dark brown carpet.

However the quality, color balance, uniformity and vividness of the picture was impressive....even with the main door into the room open during the daytime the picture was only minimally effected.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and all I really want to throw in was that it was well worth the effort and risk.....one of those risks that seems to have really payed off. Thanks Ken.

Lastly, I feel the need to mention that Terry did one top quality job of calibrating my xg.....was knowledgeable/experienced....driven by his own desire to get the most out of the pj/screen combo........I was also quite pleased with his performance and would certainly reccomend his services to anyone in the area. Thanks Terry

Lance

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Lance, appreciate it. You now (when the audio is finished here and your furnishings are in) need to host an Atlanta Home Theatre Group monthly meeting. You have a setup that the group would very much like to see.

Terry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am very pleased with my roller applied low gain CRT screen goo.

Outstanding color and brightness with Seleco SDG 900

Plus and Faroudja NRS. This has allowed me to keep my contrast and brightness fairly low with no significant loss of detail or picture quality, hopefully extending the life of those tubes!

One note of caution, On my first attempt I painted the Goo on a Parkland plastics sheet and had a problem with chipping even though I prepped the plastic surface with fine sanding to increase adherence.

No problem, I just flipped the MDF board the plastic sheet was mounted on and applied Goo to that side with excellent results.

Cuyler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.