AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Kansas City Royals ended their contract with Fox Sports and creatd their own television network:

Royals create TV network

Well, the only MSO they have a deal with is Time Warner in KC. I called the Royals and asked about Directv. They said they offered them the same deal as Time Warner, but have not heard back. They told me to call and request that they pick up the package the Royals are offering.

One thing, if they(directv or even dish for that matter) do not pick up the package, that mean we would get NO games at all this year, except for when they are on ESPN(yeah right) or Fox(even worse) or WGN. It also means they still would be blacked out for those of us who get MLB Extra Innings.

So if you like the Royals or just want to help me out, please call Directv and tell they you want them to pick up the Royals Television Network.

Thanks,

tim

·
Registered
936 Posts
Do the Royals think that their own network in a rather small market can succeed?

I'm not so sure DirecTV will pick it up, they have to end it somewhere, I heard that the Orioles are also considering a new network, we could be looking at a trend here. Good luck, hope some fellow Royals fans join you in your efforts.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest with you, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. No, Kansas City does not have a big enough market to have it's own TV network. But, being the huge Royals fan I am, I will try to do what I have to do to get the games.

They say the reason they have done this is because last year, Fox Sports only did 80 games. Apparently, Fox said they want to do alot less game this year, thus pay less. They only made $5 million off TV last year, and less than $1 million on radio. They Yankees in contrast made $9 off radio alone. Granted a much bigger market.

I agree this seems to be a trend within baseball. I also agree that Directv isn't likely to pick it up. I would really hate it to not be able to get ANY games. We may be looking at a situation like the one the Yankees got into with the cable company in NY there not picking up the YES network. I am sure nobody will sue each other over this one, but it could hurt the Royals in the end.

I seriously think that MLB need to look at their blackout policy. If you buy MLB Extra Innings for you favorite team, and you happen to live in their market, you are out of luck. They punish you for liking the team you are closest to.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The way MLB, in general, is going these days the whole thing may go belly up.

They increased the schedule years ago to increase revenue, and forced the Cubs to install lights for the same reason - meaning TV ad revenue. But these days, only a hand full of teams make out on the expanded schedule. And it doesn't help having constant strike talk.

It is hard for folks on minimum wage, or government assistance, to feel sorry for millionaires going on strike. Even if there is sometimes a legitimate grievance, folks don't want their sports tainted by the business.

Is it any wonder that the teams that have the best revenue base tend to be in the pennant race on a consistent basis? Last year, my poor Devil Rays were rumored to be close to not even making payroll!

I understand that everybody wants to make money. And I think I understand why teams think they will get more money with their own network. But not every market is like Chicago or New York. Some teams will starve to death, as I fear your Royals may do. It's hard to get excited about a team you can never see!

I think local blackouts (sports in general) are STUPID these days, because people seldom decide to attend a game based upon if it's televised or not.

And making it possible for more people to see the games only helps revenue. At least it has with the Cubs and Braves.

And in the case of the Cubs, they generally don't even play all that well, with some exceptions, because every time they get a good player they trade him off in lieu of cash. Even Sosa has been rumored for trade in the past! But the one thing the Cubs will never do is go broke (unless they REALLY screw up).

Sorry for my rant. Like the kid said in Little Big League, this game is supposed to be FUN. But I fear it has all become a business. And a business that cannot support its economic model at that.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I live in Missouri now but didn't watch a single Royals game last year. Still if the deal offered to DirecTV is a reasonable one and I don't know what "offered them the same deal as Time Warner, but have not heard back" means, then I could request that DirecTV pick it up. I will not whine at all if DirecTV makes a prudent business decision and doesn't pick up a bad deal. The Royals did not earn much TV and radio revenue last year I suspect because the product they offer is not worth much.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.