AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, (a rookie in A/V) just bought this 34 inch set..

I am getting it delivered within 3-4 weeks..

I live in Northern NJ (Bergen county), very close to NYC...

What is the best antenna to purchase for this set in order for me to view OTA HDTV broadcasts? Terk HDTV60 and the Channel Master StealthTenna are the ones hometheatermag recommended in their Jan 2000 issue..

What else should I do with this set? Do I need to calibrate it right out of the box?

Just ordered Panasonic RP56 DVD player to go with the TV.. Need to order some composite cables.... Should I go with bettercables.com? Monster cables?

Thanks for any advises...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome Arthur, hope you enjoy your new set.

This forum has a tremendous amount of information about over the air reception. Do yourself a favor and search through some of the previous discussions. In summary, however, the "best antenna" depends mightily on your location relative to the broadcast antennas. I will say that few participants on this forum have good things to say about Terk antennas. AS for the Stealthantenna, its my understanding that from a performance standpoint there are better choices from Channelmaster although its small size is a very attractive feature. I personally am able to receive the hdtv channels in my area using an indoor set top antenna called the silver sensor. If you're within 15 miles of the transmitting locations, you may want to try this as your first option.

In my opinion, ISF calibration of a direct view television is not essential. Still, many people do it and are pleased with the results. I would recommend, however, that you allow the set to "warm up" for a month or two before considering calibration.

When you say you need to order "composite" cables to hook up your new DVD player, I assume that you mean "component" cables. Composite cables are the standard audio/video cables with red, white and yellow RCA connectors that carry both audio and video information. These can be used to hook up most DVD players but they will not provide the optimum level of signal transfer. On the other hand, component cables use three different connectors simply to transfer the video information to the monitor and are thus preferred for connecting DVD players. Of course, they are more expensive than composite cables. I am very happy with the component cables I purchased from bettercables but note that these high end cables are very thick and heavy and somewhat hard to hide. Also, most people on the board feel that monster cables are overpriced for the quality they provide.

Finally, if you use component video cables to hook up your dvd you will need an audio cable to connect the DVD player to your surround sound receiver. Hopefully, your audio receiver will have digital inputs and allow you to connect either a digital optical cable or a digital coaxial cable. If the distance between the two is relatively short (less than 8 feet) there shouldn't be much difference between the two. For longer runs, most people prefer the coax.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your help mlewie..

I will search the forums for OTA reception and kinds of antennas used...

BTW, are their websites besides www.titantv.com and www.antennaweb.org that would tell me where my nearest broadcast antenna would be?

I am a rookie and looking forward to this beautiful world of HDTV and Audio...

U are correct about component cables.. I stated it wrong.. I will go with www.bettercables.com

I do have a decent receiver (Onkyo 797)... And will use Optical connector for audio (I do know that people fight for which is better coax or optical).. From what I know Coax is a little better but to my rookie ears optical will do fine...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.