AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in line for KD-34XBR2, but it is on indefinite back order from SONY... They offering me KV-40XBR700 about $400 cheaper than 34XBR2...

I am about to switch over to 40 incher... I have DirecTV, some occasional DVD and a lot of regular Cablevision cable.. PLan to install OTA antenna as soon as I get the TV.. I am in NJ/NYC so I only have 2 HDTV OTA channels...

I really wanted that 34 inch TV, please tell me if I should wait longer for it, or is in save to go with XBR700?

Also, what is the 16x9 size of KV-40XBR700. Is it aorund 36 inches? Someone posted the chart with conversions before, I would appreciate if someone posted it again..

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Art. You can find the 34XBR2 on the internet for $3300. There are several places advertising it for this price. All of these vendors look the same to me: a one person operation that drop ships from the warehouse nearest you. I have a list if you want to go that route. However I know you have a special relationship with Sony.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff, but yes, I do have an employee discount..

My price with matching SONY stand after taxes and delivery is $3000.. SO my question still stands.. Should I just pick the 40XBR700 for $400 less then 34XBR2. And use the difference to purchase the new Zenith HDTV box..?

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffGoos
Hi Art. You can find the 34XBR2 on the internet for $3300. There are several places advertising it for this price. All of these vendors look the same to me: a one person operation that drop ships from the warehouse nearest you. I have a list if you want to go that route. However I know you have a special relationship with Sony.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have owned the KV-40XBR700 for 2 weeks now running it on Directv. It is an amazing piece. I do alot of regular TV viewing along with DVD so it is the right set for me. The 16:9 ratio measures just over 36" and with the black cabinetry surrounding the picture it blends so well you hardly notice it is a 4:3 set. The picture size beats the 34xbr and blows it away with 4:3 material so for me it was a no-brainer A true HD picture from 199 or 509 is absolutely outstanding. My friends drouled all over my carpet when they saw it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have u ever seen 34XBR2??

I might have to go with 40 incher.. But I am buying an apartment in a year and would hate to shell out another $300 for movers to move the Tv for me to new place..

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
I have owned the KV-40XBR700 for 2 weeks now running it on Directv. It is an amazing piece. I do alot of regular TV viewing along with DVD so it is the right set for me. The 16:9 ratio measures just over 36" and with the black cabinetry surrounding the picture it blends so well you hardly notice it is a 4:3 set. The picture size beats the 34xbr and blows it away with 4:3 material so for me it was a no-brainer A true HD picture from 199 or 509 is absolutely outstanding. My friends drouled all over my carpet when they saw it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
hey arthur,

you might want to check out the current thread on the zenith.

some one else has the 40xbr700 with the zenith and it looks

like the combination ends with windowboxed 4:3 material

(black bars top, bottom and sides) unless you are willing to

switch modes via a rear panel switch.

lcubed

(that being the case, i'd vote for the 34xbr2!!)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had the opportunity to see the two sets side by side at a Sony demo at best local store, Bjorn's. The XBR700 is about 36.7'' when showing a 16x9 source so it is a little bigger than the XBR2. With the same hdtv signal showing on both sets the detail was a bit sharper on the XBR2. The XBR700 looked very nice, but it was not as detailed as the XBR2.

It comes down to personnal preference. The better hdtv picture is on the 16x9 set. But, 4x3 is pretty small on the XBR2 unless you don't mind distorting the image to fill the screen. What really bugs me is the XBR2 has firewire and the XBR700 doesn't. The Sony rep told me it was his guess that this was because the XBR2 is a true hdtv(according to him) and the XBR700 was only a "high scan" set. If I lived where there was lots of hdtv I'd get the XBR2. In my case I have an Elite 510 so I'm considering the XBR700 to get the best and largest 4x3 picture available.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to stick with XBR2.... However long it will take for delivery.... It is more future proof... And I will move next year, so moving 200 lb box with handles will be easier for me than 300+ pounder without handles...

I will mostly use TV for OTA HDTV and lots of DVDs and some DirecTV HDTV...

Quote:
Originally posted by egrady
I had the opportunity to see the two sets side by side at a Sony demo at best local store, Bjorn's. The XBR700 is about 36.7'' when showing a 16x9 source so it is a little bigger than the XBR2. With the same hdtv signal showing on both sets the detail was a bit sharper on the XBR2. The XBR700 looked very nice, but it was not as detailed as the XBR2.

It comes down to personnal preference. The better hdtv picture is on the 16x9 set. But, 4x3 is pretty small on the XBR2 unless you don't mind distorting the image to fill the screen. What really bugs me is the XBR2 has firewire and the XBR700 doesn't. The Sony rep told me it was his guess that this was because the XBR2 is a true hdtv(according to him) and the XBR700 was only a "high scan" set. If I lived where there was lots of hdtv I'd get the XBR2. In my case I have an Elite 510 so I'm considering the XBR700 to get the best and largest 4x3 picture available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.