AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Xbox 360 that I use with my Sony kd-36xs955. The picture is nice, but it has a problem. When I use any resolution higher than 480p the sides of the picture get chopped off. So basically when I'm using 720p or 1080i (it doesnt support 1080p) I lose a good 2" off of each side. From what I've read the problem appears to be cause by too large an overscan region (correct me if I'm wrong). It does not appear that you can adjust this with the normal menus (just vertical positioning). How do I go about fixing this problem? I assume I'll have to go into the service menu to do it, can some guide me through it?

Tempest

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I managed to go into the service menu and and fix the overscan problem as much as I could. If I go to 480p I can see the whole picture and see that I'm still losing an inch or so on the sides in 720p and 1080i, but I can't adjust it anymore in the menu (the whole picture just shrinks and doesn't show any more of the missing picture). I tried messing with the VSIZ option to fix the vertical overscan issue, but that didn't seem to do anything. However I did discover two options called TBLK and BBLK (top and bottom black or blank I imagine) which did help fix the vertical overscan. The odd thing is that while I can reveal all of the missing bottom picture, I can only reveal a small portion of the missing top section before the picture starts getting funny lines and tearing issues. Any idea why this would be and how I can fix it? I can live with only the top being seriously overscanned, but I find it odd that the bottom can be fixed and not the top. I tried adjusting the VPOS and VSIZ after the TBLK but those funny lines stayed no matter how far down I moved or how small I made the picture.

So to summarize, the horizontal overscan is fixed along with the bottom, but the top still has some serious overscan issues.

Tempest

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I had that exact set which I gave to my father in law. I agree the overscan was excessive in that set. Also I did not care for the black crush. I could never defeat it. The set had the fantastic black levels but did a poor job of cleaning up digital noise.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know but I am very interested in your plight, as I have the exact same TV. Please post any and all updates here, you're not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest_2084 /forum/post/15574087

I have an Xbox 360 that I use with my Sony kd-36xs955. The picture is nice, but it has a problem. When I use any resolution higher than 480p the sides of the picture get chopped off. So basically when I'm using 720p or 1080i (it doesnt support 1080p) I lose a good 2" off of each side. From what I've read the problem appears to be cause by too large an overscan region (correct me if I'm wrong). It does not appear that you can adjust this with the normal menus (just vertical positioning). How do I go about fixing this problem? I assume I'll have to go into the service menu to do it, can some guide me through it?

Tempest

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried fiddling around with a few more settings, but so far no luck. I'm really loath to go changing things in the service menu that I don't understand though. I got a good inch back on both sides and on the bottom (only about half an inch on the top though) so I'm happy. I'm starting to think that if I want to get better results I'll have to have a trained tech come out and look at it.

Tempest

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have the same set too and am posting to see if there is good info down the line.

I am also leary of service menu adjustments. Basically the set has been very good to me over the years with no adjustments so why fix it if it isn't broken (my biggest complaint is the overscan I get when I zoom an HD 4:3 program; followed by some convergence fringing in the corners).

What I don't want to do is mess up settings that use the high resolution aspects that are working fine now - like viewing digital photos off the memory stick.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest_2084 /forum/post/15616658

I've tried fiddling around with a few more settings, but so far no luck. I'm really loath to go changing things in the service menu that I don't understand though. I got a good inch back on both sides and on the bottom (only about half an inch on the top though) so I'm happy. I'm starting to think that if I want to get better results I'll have to have a trained tech come out and look at it.

Tempest

Did you do it all with the adjustments you mentioned above, or did you use some other ones as well? I, too, am a bit wary of going into the service menus without a plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts