AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Key Digital CTCA2 transcoding the output of a JVC 30K. I have it set on AUTO (have tried the specific settings also) and am having problemswith the vertical height. On both a CRT monitor and an Electrohome front projector, the vertical height is about 5% short at the top. There seems to be a light gray area at the top and the right hand side of the picture. I can compensate for the horizontal centering but not the vertical. Is anyone else encountered this problem?

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
The auto mode seems to be problematic with a lot of display devices. I turned auto off and changed some of the other switches to. All my switches are set to "off" and the picture improved dramatically.

Best suggestion is to try different settings. Each display seems to have a sweet spot with teh KD device

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian. I never tried settings other than those documented. I was hoping to attach the unit to more than one display but that doesn't look possible as every display I attach it to behaves differently though the underlying problem remains the same. I'll do a little more experimentation tonight. I did notice that the brightness pot still changes the brightness on my transcoder even though it suppossed to be disabled when in AUTO mode?

Anyone know if the Extron cvc200 suffers from these issues?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fireball, The pot is a horizontal position adjustment and shouldn't affect the brightness. It is disabled in the auto mode.

I haven't noticed any geometry problems at 1080i, but it does use a different video memory on my projector than my RCA DTC-100 does. I did copy the video memory and it looks ok except for centering and brightness/contrast settings. Maybe your set is using a different video memory.

I am seeing a different problem with my unit. On low APL (mostly dark) scenes with bright highlights or lettering the red smears to the right significantly. This doesn't happen on high APL scenes. It looks like bad red convergence or overdrive but it isn't. This even happens with just the Y connected leaving Y-Pr and Y-Pb disconnected! I'm pretty sure it is the KD-CTCA2 causing this, if anyone can verify this is happening on another unit I'd like to hear about it.

Also the video through the KD-CTCA2 is significantly darker than through my DTC-100 with the same source material.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Don:

The pot also affects the clamp level for brightness. I have a DISH 6000 and the CTCA2 no where nearly uses the same pj memory as the DISH 6000. I had to change to short retrace and adjust the phase to achieve proper horizontal cetnering. I then can not get the vertical height to increase to match the vertical height of the raster. There is a 5-7% dark gray band at the top of the picture. On a 21" CRT monitor, I get the same dark gray band at the top but also one on the right side of the screen.

When I attach the CTCA2 to a HD RPTV, the picture is very dark compared to the DISH 6000. I was able to use the specific 1080i setting and adjust the POT to get a proper brightness level but ended up with a lot of EE in the picture.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fireball,

You should be able to go into the service menu of the RPTV and set vert. height & Horiz. width to get the proper geometry and over scan. This would be problematic if trying to use two sources like I am unless your display device has multiple memories like my Dwin does.

I just got an email from KD stating that the horiz. position control could also be affecting the clamp level so I'll have to play with that also. I won't be able to mess with it for a few weeks as I just returned my JVC for a firmware update and it wouldn't play D-Theater tapes, so I don't know how long they'll have it at the shop.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not really having an overscan issue but and underscan. With no picture output from the JVC, I get a dark gray screen. When I press play, the picture is not filling the gray area of the screen. There is a band at the top and down the right hand side. These bands are the gray screen present before the I press play. The video output just does not fill the entire gray area.

On my front projector, I can compensate for the horizontal width but not the height. On my 21" CRT monitor, I can't really do anything. I tried several settings suggested by KD but they had no affect. If no one else is seeing this, then it must be a problem with the transcoder I have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.