AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I recently upgrade form a 32" Sharp to a Bravia KDL-46V5100. Everything was fine until I started seeing glowing corners on the set, and also a bit of clouding on the bottom right side of the tv. It's not very visible but I was watching Dark City (a lot of dark scene as you can expect) last night and the corners became quite annoying. Is this something normal?

messing with the adv contrast and turning on autodim seems to help a bit, but in completely dark scenes it's still very bothersome. I've seen people on forum recommended returning the set of get it replaced, but there's always a chance of getting one that's worse than what i already have.

thanks in advance!

·
Banned
85 Posts
This seems to be a very common issues. I've had two lcds a Samsung a550 and b630. The a550 had two panel swaps done on it. Each panel had clouding and flashlighting to some extent. Even the a550, which was originally a Chi Mei panel, had a Samsung panel put in it and it still had very poor uniformity and dead pixels.

My new 46" b630 has flashlighting in one corner only, but it extends very far into the screen. By turning on dynamic contrast and setting energy settings to auto, it has reduced the problem a lot in all but the darkest scenes. My picture is not quite calibrated exactly how I would like it with those settings on, but so far I think its close.

I think I'll just live with it though. I still have a few weeks to do an exchange, but I might get worse flashlighting and dead pixels - I hate those things. From my experience, I've always had it, so why gamble on something worse. To each his own though. So if you think it's that bad try a swap.

It seems you're on the right track with your setting though. Also watching dark movies with a bit of ambient light helps out to minimize flashlighting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Returning your set for another is a gamble, but you should do it if your not happy. There's no reason to pay money for something your not happy with. I returned the Toshiba 645U, because of the "Flashlight" in the corners just to end up with a Sony that was much much worse. I just returned my Sony KDL-40V5100. You can see my screen here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171479

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for all your help!

It's kind of annoying having to pay that much for a tv and getting something like this, but i guess that's how the technology works. returning might not be a good idea because i got it through dell, they charge a restocking fee and seems like they won't pay for shipping on a return. mine light leaks are not as severe as what i see in your photo, but my eyes are draw to them when in the dark. now i have to decide if i shud keep it or not.

anyways, thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts