AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTono /forum/post/17045064

Basically the left half of the screen looks darkened with a reddish tint, and the pixels in the dark area seem to refresh really-really slowly, creating an ultra smearing effect.

(See attached photo)

At first when this problem began, it could quickly be fixed by simply holding on to the upper left and right corners of the TV and lightly flexing the bezel. This would cause the picture to come back and would only need to be done maybe once a day.

I'm going to save you a lot of trouble here. First of all, the TCON board is not available for this model. It's only available for the 32" model. The fact that you get a change when you flex the panel is a clear inidcator that you have a tab bond issue on the side of the panel where the gate drivers are. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but you need to replace the LCD panel. I know this is a pretty set but take the credit and get a new television.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/17236053

I'm going to save you a lot of trouble here. First of all, the TCON board is not available for this model. It's only available for the 32" model. The fact that you get a change when you flex the panel is a clear inidcator that you have a tab bond issue on the side of the panel where the gate drivers are. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but you need to replace the LCD panel. I know this is a pretty set but take the credit and get a new television.

Your are correct, and incorrect -the TV appears to be fixed, and it was a tab bond issue. But instead replacing the LCD Panel (a $1,500 - $2,000 repare job) or simply throwing the TV in the trash, i was able to correct the issue.

I can't say how long the fix last before it wears out again - it could be days, weeks, years - who knows. What i do know is it has been running for about 4-5 hours now with no visble PQ issues.

I have photos and I'll post up the process over the over the weeekend.

I'v had it runing for a few hours and so far so good.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you have found a way to re-bond the tabs without using a 1.5 million dollar tab bonding machine please share. I'm not trying to be funny here. If there is a way to do it I would like to know. You can bang on the edge of an LCD panel and sometimes make the tab re-connect (or make more open connections in the process) but I am sure that it will come back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/17242171

If you have found a way to re-bond the tabs without using a 1.5 million dollar tab bonding machine please share. I'm not trying to be funny here. If there is a way to do it I would like to know. You can bang on the edge of an LCD panel and sometimes make the tab re-connect (or make more open connections in the process) but I am sure that it will come back.

Ya I know - I was skeptical as well.

Basically the fix involves using some "bumpons" along the top and edges of the tabs that have gone bad which puts some slight pressure on them. The trick is getting them in the right positions so that they manipulate the tab in just the right way and allow the connections to be re-made.

It may not be a perfect solution, but so far the TV I fixed is holding strong and it certainly beats trashing the TV.

I'll try and get the photos posted later today

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I have done this on some PDPs with similar issues, usually Hitachi panels that have a line in the pix. It is at best a temporary fix in most cases, but not a bad way to get a little more use out of the panel and be sure about the diagnosis.

Have you contacted Sony Consumer Relations to ask if they would provide some kind of accomodation on a failure like this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/17243740

Have you contacted Sony Consumer Relations to ask if they would provide some kind of accomodation on a failure like this?

ya i tried. in my case they wouldn't help me - i was about a year out of warranty on the TV. Butto be honest, i didn't really push the issue with them very hard.

I just ended up getting a new TV (46" Samsung LED 8000 Series) to replace this one , and then spent some time trying to fix the broken TV. I don't know how long it will hold, but so far so good.

I'm alomst done editing the photos I took for clarity, so once thats done I'll post them up for those who want to attempt this fix themselve.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Tab bonding is a very interesting process. When I get the time I will try to post how this is done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am waiting for the pictures, could not see your original picture that you posted of the open back of the panel.

My TV was also made 12/07 and started going bad July 09, am now trying to negotiate with Sony.

But I don't want to trash the TV so I am extremely interested in seeing your pictures and finding out about how to deal with the tab bond issue.

It is not clear when you talk about it what part you are talking about.

And a question to you and Display veteran is: since you opened the back of the panel, what part is the T-con board. It must have a part number.

Again, looking forward to the pictures and more comments from both of you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get these image posted – I’ve been absolutely slammed with my work and have not had time to get this posted up. So anyway – here goes:

It should only take about an afternoon of your time and 4-5 bucks worth of parts you can get at your local hardware store.

OK… a few disclaimers and important things to consider:

1) A warning that I’ve read many times on these boards

from the people who do this stuff for a living and I think is important to repeat:

“You will be working with LIVE components / PCB’s. This voltage can KILL YOU!!!!”

2) If you decide to attempt this yourself, you must be OK with the fact that you run the risk of damaging your (already broken) TV beyond repair.

This fix involves putting light pressure on the Tab Bonds that run along the top of the LCD panel with a series of Bumpons (or rubber bumpers). I have a series of photos below that you can use as a visual aid. The photos only cover the portion of this fix after you have removed all the covers. There are a ton of screens to remove to get down the LCD panel – but it’s pretty straight forward. So take your time and keep track of the screws and where they go.

PQ Issues:

Removing the metal frame from the LCD Panel

The LCD Tab bonds exposed

Testing the Tab Bonds

Prepping the Bumpons

Bumpon Placement

Depending on which Tab is bad your placement may differ

Once you have your bumpons placed put the LCD frame back on the LCD panel and test the TV - use the same method as shown in the first pic. if the picture looks good, then let it run for an hour or so just to make sure it holds. If it still has the issue, then remove the frame and try again - it may take a couple of tries to get it just right.

Once you’re satisfied - put the whole thing back together and enjoy your TV. The fix may last forever, or it may last for a few days. Mine has been running strong for over a month with near constant use.

UPDATE 12-8-09: NipRing Made this great video to help others who want to give this a shot. it's a great overview of the process and should be quit helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipRing /forum/post/17678108

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]

·
Registered
900 Posts
Absolutely magnificent post, OnlyTono!

Thx!

bye

Benny

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny42 /forum/post/17434048

Absolutely magnificent post, OnlyTono!

Thx!

bye

Benny
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/17434256

Great write up OnlyTono!

Thank you - i'm just sorry it took so long for me to get post this up.

I guess the good thing is that since it took me a momth to get this posted, i can now vouche for the TV still working a momth later after the fix

The one part i just didn't have time to cover here was the removal of all the outer panals and some other key part to get to the LCD screen frame. it may help to get a copy of the service manual, I was able to find an actual service manual online at this site:
http://www.free-service-manuals.com/

Even thought the name implies they are free - It's like 5 bucks for a one month membership(a fair price IMHO). thay have the Service manual for the XBR4/5. The manual does not cover this particulr proceedure, but it will assist in taking that TV apart.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'll have to give you an A+ for effort and creativity on this one. You are correct when you say this may not work and there is not guarantee on how long it will last.

Tab bonding is performed by using a heat-activated glue that contains tiny steel balls. The steel balls are what make the electrical contact between the tabs on the flex cable and the panel. The steel balls are small enough to prevent a short circuit between the tabs so the glue is simply smeared across the tabs. A steel bar heated with RF energy heats the bar and activates the glue.

This is all done with 2 cameras and a monitor to align the flex cable tabs to the panel tabs. A computer program handles the temperature and duration of the heating of the glue.

What you are demonstrating is a band aid solution but I suppose that if one has the time and aptitude to perform this, what do they have to lose? I've been able to fix this with a pen torch and a large flat-blade screwdriver to re-bond the glue but that was at a point where I had too much time on my hands :)

Reactions: MacProTX

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipRing /forum/post/17651528

How well is this holding up? I'm at the point that it is something i will attempt rather than toss all that $$

So far so good

It's certainly worth a shot - especially if the quotes you got to fix the TV where the same as mine - which was basically replacing the panel, and where in the cost range of simply buying a new TV.

I can't promise this fix will work, or even hold up - but mine is still going strong after 2.5 months so far and it gets used quite bit too

Good luck and take it slow

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whoooooooohoooooooo! It worked!!!! OnlyTono I could

freakin kiss you!! Thank you so much! You saved me a ton of $$$.

I took a short video and will post it in a little while. Just something that might help out others in the same boat.

·
Registered
39 Posts

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipRing /forum/post/17676719

Whoooooooohoooooooo! It worked!!!! OnlyTono I could

freakin kiss you!! Thank you so much! You saved me a ton of $$$.

I took a short video and will post it in a little while. Just something that might help out others in the same boat.

That’s awesome – I’m glad to know my post helped someone. The video is perfect and just what this post needed. In fact, I added it to the bottom of the original post so that nobody misses it.

21 - 40 of 163 Posts