AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
We all are proud of you.


Wow great! Hope I Do not have to go through this with my XBR8 lol. I'll look back here now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I removed very minimal circuit boards! Other than the plastic surround pieces, the top and bottom metal framing, the vertical wall mount brackets, you need to remove the speakers, fans, aux input on the side of the tv, the power/vol/chan plate (which you will have to plug 1 wire back to it for testing the tv) and the plate that hold the power jack. Hook up the power back into the correct circuit board (without plugging into the wall first, plug the power cord into the tv power plug because its very hard to get at under the tv when its on its back). What i did was place a box under each side of the tv where the speakers would be so that no components are carrying the weight of the tv. Also before you put it on its back remember to plug in what video cable your using for your source. i also wrapped the long metal plate that hold the power jack with a towel just because i was nervous. Plug the pow/vol/chan plate in with the one wire. I turned on my source, plugged the tv power into the wall outlet and then turned on the tv by pushing the power button on the plate.


One other precaution i took was that, while most things you disconnect are with a plastic connector, the aux hdmi is not, its an exposed metal connector. So i wrapped that with electrical tape.


Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Actually i couldnt find the same ones he used. I just used some i found at ace hardware. They were 1/2" x 1/2" by 5/16" tall and i shaved about a weak 1/8" off. I did go through a lot of trial an error when figuring out exactly how thick the bumps need to be. With each trial make sure you screw down at least a third of the screws. Some of my trials may have been successful had i had more screws in the metal lcd surround. The first few times i only screwed the two closest screws, but it wasnt until i put one in another next corner did i see it work right.


As for heat, well i dont know whats gonna happen. I watched a few blu-rays last night and all seems well. Only time will tell. I will update if something happens.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanrp /forum/post/17680604


Thanks so much NipRing. Did you use the same plastic bumpons as OnlyTono? I would think these would melt because it gets so hot!

It does get pretty warm in there, but probably not enough to actually melt the bumpons. If you wanted to be really safe though, you might try and find some pure silicone bumpons which should be good for higher temps than regular plastic.


The ones I bought where just the generic brand over at my local hardware store. They where soft and rubbery, but I don't remember if they where actually silicone or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTono /forum/post/17685773


It does get pretty warm in there, but probably not enough to actually melt the bumpons. If you wanted to be really safe though, you might try and find some pure silicone bumpons which should be good for higher temps than regular plastic.


The ones I bought where just the generic brand over at my local hardware store. They where soft and rubbery, but I don't remember if they where actually silicone or not.

how is the TV? still good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Onlytono's great write up has links to some critically important images..Images that are NOT displaying in this topic!!


Tried to view them from 2 separate locations/machines/ip addresses, no go, just got the dreaded red x where each image should be...


Anyone know what gives?



Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Hi,

I was lucky enough to inherit an xbr4 with this fault a while ago, and so I have been spending a bit of time looking into the cause of the fault.


After some rather in depth analysis on the test bench, it looks like the problem is not with the flex interconnect's bonding to the panel, but rather with the connecting bonds between the flex interconnects and the long, narrow semiconductor chip that is mounted directly on the flex interconnect, about halfway between the LCD end and the PCB end. This chip looks like it might be a signal line termination or impedance matching network, and gets quite hot during operation (the design of the big metal LCD retaining frame includes a series of long depressions along the top section that push against the flex interconnects where these chips are located, to provide some not very effective heatsinking).

The heat from these chips, combined with poor heatsinking, and the structure of the LCD frame appear to be the root cause of these failures.


I am working on a repair method, though it will likely be something ad-hoc, and not something that could be classed as a "permament" fix. Still, if it can resurrect even some of these panels, then I think it is worth a shot.



Cheers,


Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hey guys.

Here is the question.

I have two TVs, one sony KDL-XBR4 46" full hd, second one is lg 42" 720p.. lg is fine, has no problem but sony had problem but not anymore, I have to sell at least one tv
but i dunno which one should I keep? im not sure what will be happened after few months with sony because it looks like temporary solution
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhan /forum/post/17747097


After finished have left two more screws :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipRing /forum/post/17747153


Haha, i had 1!

LOL - I have atleast 2, maybe 3 screws left over.

They looked like the ones used to secure the front plastice bezel , and since that peice had a ton of screws holding it on, i figured it would't miss a few



I went over the whole thing a few times looking for empty screw wholes but could never find them

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhan /forum/post/17748910


Hey guys.

Here is the question.

I have two TVs, one sony KDL-XBR4 46" full hd, second one is lg 42" 720p.. lg is fine, has no problem but sony had problem but not anymore, I have to sell at least one tv
but i dunno which one should I keep? im not sure what will be happened after few months with sony because it looks like temporary solution

that's a tough one - i'd almost be inclined to say keep the LG, since it has no known issues yet.

Or - you could sell the LG (since it has no known issues), save your money until the sony fails again, and then buy a new TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. Is this the same issue one of buddies is having?

From VFDC forums

Quote:
Looks like my Bravia might be done for and it's only 1.5 years old Keep in mind that these lines you see filled up the whole screen from wall to wall and were very vibrant in color... mostly yellow, but there was some red lines and a few other various colors. I took this picture about 6 hours later from when the problem first occurred. Anyone familiar with this? Am I done for or can this be fixed?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoun /forum/post/17747302



After some rather in depth analysis on the test bench, it looks like the problem is not with the flex interconnect's bonding to the panel, but rather with the connecting bonds between the flex interconnects and the long, narrow semiconductor chip that is mounted directly on the flex interconnect, about halfway between the LCD end and the PCB end. This chip looks like it might be a signal line termination or impedance matching network, and gets quite hot during operation (the design of the big metal LCD retaining frame includes a series of long depressions along the top section that push against the flex interconnects where these chips are located, to provide some not very effective heatsinking).

Looks like these chips are the actual gate driver chips, according to one of Samsung's patents... I guess that explains the heat.


Now I just need to find out a bit more about "Chip On (flex pcb) Board mounting techniques and failure modes...


Cheers,


Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiFist /forum/post/17749651


I'm glad I found this thread. Is this the same issue one of buddies is having?

Im not sure if your friend's TV has the same issue - it doesnt really look like the same to me. Not sure if the solution in this thread would help that kind of defect.


For a good demonstration of what the issue we've been having looks like - check out NipRing video a few posts up.
 
41 - 60 of 163 Posts
Top