AVS Forum banner

161 - 163 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much OnlyTono !!! Another successful fixing story for KDL-52W4100.
My TV has been having 2-3 vertical lines 2-3 pixels wide on the left side of the panel for about 3 years. It really annoyed me but since TV had no warranty I had no way of resolving this issue. Finally I came across this thread...
For my particular case instead of installing bumponds I had to release some pressure from tab bonds to resolve the issue. I ended up installing some sort of plastic washers right where screws attache metal frame to the panel so when the frame is in place it doesn't touch tab bonds (looks like that's what caused the issue for me) and vertical lines have disappeared.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great post on doing something about the tab bonds! Thank you.

I made a post yesterday after I began having this same problem resurface again after a years time, but I cannot find that post this morning. Maybe it's because I have not posted in a while - don't know. But my set presented the same issue as the original poster and in addition to the same dark areas that come and go, I also had a couple horizontal lines intermittently appear that divided the screen into 3 sections and would often duplicate parts of the image in different areas of the screen. My model was the Coscto equivalent (KDL 46WL135) to the KDL 46XBR4. The images of the back of the set in this thread match my set exactly.

There were no replies to my post a year ago and I could not locate info on it so I thought I had an original problem of some sort. Now that the problem has resurfaced I began looking again and found that there was a recall by SONY of over 1 million sets with this tab bond issue. Several vids on You Tube. Apparently SONY considers the customer served after 3 years as the recall window was short and ended before my problem began, and I had the set 3+ years. They gave some folks a replacement TV and others offered a set at 50% off at the time according to folks writing about this recall. What I did since I did not know any of this was leave the set on all the time and just turn off the Satellite box. This worked for just over a year until now. Perhaps this kept the parts in a warm/expanded state and the connections benefited. In my case the set would have the problem when it was turned on and would straighten out anywhere from 5min to an hour. So we just left it on.

I was getting advice from changing the T-Con board to tossing the set as an unrepairable panel. Pressing on the tab area and seeing the picture straighten out made me conclude my set has the panel bonding issue this time.

I am going to try your tab pressure idea and perhaps I can get the last 5 years I expected out of it. Either way I am done buying $2k TVs as this is the second I have had that went bad 1 and 3 years after warranty ended and the last of my SONY TVs.

161 - 163 of 163 Posts