AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Two weeks ago my tv suddenly show colors and video problems. The video is like burn, with bad colors, a mess really. As I livein Argentina and bought this tv in usa I would appreciate some help to isolate the problem in order to fin a new board or something to fix it. A local technician see the input board as suspicious of the fault. What do you think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, here they are. By The way the problem show up no matter what input or signal i use. Even with the menu taking of all the cables

Thanks

Luis

·
Registered
316 Posts
After looking at the pictures, I think your technician is right. The board he is referring to is called (on this model) the 'BU Board'. It is the one that has all of the inputs on it as you mentioned. It is also responsible for most of the video processing which is where I believe the problem is occuring. I suppose it could also be a bad LVDS cable or T-CON but I would start with the BU board as the tech suggested. Good luck with your service trumperl.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG3 /forum/post/0

After looking at the pictures, I think your technician is right. The board he is referring to is called (on this model) the 'BU Board'. It is the one that has all of the inputs on it as you mentioned. It is also responsible for most of the video processing which is where I believe the problem is occuring. I suppose it could also be a bad LVDS cable or T-CON but I would start with the BU board as the tech suggested. Good luck with your service trumperl.

Thanks. Has been rather confussing to find the part board. It seems that they are 3 different part numbers for the same tv model. I found one in ebay used but it seem is not the same. How can I be sure?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have the same TV and am experiencing the same type of picture problems. Did you find the right part and correctly diagnose the problem?

White people look like umpalumpas (bright orange), black people don't have facial features as they are too dark, and some football fields are such dark green they look almost like they have a black hue. I will try to post images, but they look the same as those provided, I think. (google umpa lumpa image)

Other colors are entirely fine. The darker the color, though, it seems to exacerbate the darkness.

Thanks for y'all help!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any update on this issue? I have the same problem it looks like from these pictures you posted. If I turn the TV off for a few minutes and back on every looks okay for a few minutes and then it gradually starts to look like your pictures. If I leave it on long enough eventually it says the input has no signal. I already replaced the TV yesterday and now have this unit laying on the bedroom floor. I am trying to determine if I should spend money fixing it and how much that might cost??

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Some people have been able to fix this problem by reseating all the ribbon cables visible inside the tv. Remove the back of the tv and unplug and replug all the ribbon cables you can find. Some have suggested cleaning the plugs with a pencil eraser to remove any build up which can occur over time, then replugging.

Worth a try if the tv is just laying around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It will do that - fine for the first few minutes, then some of the colors distort. Soon, it will be bad from the moment you turn it on. I've continued to watch mine for 4 months, and my eyes are now hurting. I'm going to try what mes444 says to try. Everything else with the TV is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These 3 images depict the crux of my problems:

- white people have bright orange faces (like umpa-lumpas)

- black people don't have facial features as they are too dark, or stated otherwise, dark colors cannot differentiate between shades (see no delineation of suits of anchormen and background), and

- some football fields are such dark green they look almost like they have a black hue.

Also, I found this contact information from April 2011 on a YouTube posting of Sony problems (as posted by consumers): [email protected]

I have written there and included a link to our discussion - it hasn't yet bounced back, but perhaps you want to try as well? This weekend, I will see if I can find help taking my TV apart to clean up the connections. It does seem very likely that a connection might have been lost given no other issues with the TV.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybird7 /forum/post/21246930

It will do that - fine for the first few minutes, then some of the colors distort. Soon, it will be bad from the moment you turn it on. I've continued to watch mine for 4 months, and my eyes are now hurting. I'm going to try what mes444 says to try. Everything else with the TV is fine.

It may be power supply related - one of the power supply rails drops the voltage due to a cold solder joint - the "hot-spot" that heats-up because of the high current running through a cold solder joint.... probably sounds complicated... but it is very easy to locate with freeze spray (and visual inspection while flexing the board with your hands).

You could try to re-set all connectors... but I think this is a power supply rail problem (probably +5V coming from the power supply module), or local voltage regulation issue on one of the AV processing boards.

If you've no clue of what I'm saying - take the TV to service.

Boky

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

I ordered a board and still waiting to received it. Remember I live in Argentina. As soon I received it and replaced the defective one I let you know if this fix the problem.

Luis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/21248119

It may be power supply related - one of the power supply rails drops the voltage due to a cold solder joint - the "hot-spot" that heats-up because of the high current running through a cold solder joint.... probably sounds complicated... but it is very easy to locate with freeze spray (and visual inspection while flexing the board with your hands).

You could try to re-set all connectors... but I think this is a power supply rail problem (probably +5V coming from the power supply module), or local voltage regulation issue on one of the AV processing boards.

If you've no clue of what I'm saying - take the TV to service.

Boky

My technician in Argentina, tested all voltages in the power board according the service manual and are fine. Is it possible that the TCon be the culprit? He says that generally the TCon produce other kind of failures like lines in some sectors of the screen or the Tcon controls the chroma?

I´ll very appreciate your help as I already bought the input board and don´t want to keep spending money!

Thanks

Luis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to inform, but the Sony Authorized TV Servicer came yesterday - it is an LCD Panel failure. The part quote alone was $1,566. Add Shipping, Labor, Tax and the total came to $1,996.06.

It is not a cost-effective repair. A new 3D LED TV at Costco will run ya $850.

I learned to always buy the extended warranty!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybird7 /forum/post/21282603

Sorry to inform, but the Sony Authorized TV Servicer came yesterday - it is an LCD Panel failure. The part quote alone was $1,566. Add Shipping, Labor, Tax and the total came to $1,996.06.

It is not a cost-effective repair. A new 3D LED TV at Costco will run ya $850.

I learned to always buy the extended warranty!

How can I be sure that is the same problem? May be the main difference is that in my case was not gradually. All of the sudden the false colors shows up and never gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi again:

Update: A technician from Sony made a try with a ntsc signal and got the image I attach. You can see the bar colors just perfect, but when I try to see some processed like a TV signal or a movie the colors are bad, so he thinks is a T con problem. He said that if it were the panel the bar colors should be affected as well. The problem is officially Sony sells the t-con with the panel so I need to do it like others outside Sony services. now I´am trying to find a supplier. What do you think experts about this? Is that true or still could be a defective panel?

Thanks

Luis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Success!

After 4 months of searching my technician fix the failure with a T-Con replacement. So, was not the input board the culprit. Very disappointed with Sony! Only two years since I bought it and they say that i have to replace all the panel, in other words buy a new Tv. Remember I live in a small town in Argentina. Thanks to RiverValley to send me the proper board. Take care with Orlando Lcd, I sent them back the main board and they never refund me my money. Thanks to all the people that help me in this forum. Till next time...

Photo: at left me, at right Jorge Meiza the technician from Parana, Entre Rios, Argentina

Attachment 236891

1 - 18 of 18 Posts