AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this in its own thread. I've noticed a few people asked it in the owners thread, so I'm no the only one with this issue.

For those of you who would like to witness this issue, check:

http://branada.com/sony.avi (10 MB file)

This video shows you my 50A2000 and my 8300HD box watching a 720p hockey game. They are replaying a goal when the TV starts blinking. I rewind the footage and pause where the TV blinks. I turn on the guide and the TV stops blinking ... exiting the guide makes the TV blink again.

I have also reproduced this while watching the move, Constantine, via HD-DVD. It occurs about 6 minutes into the movie, when the camera is looking out the bedroom window and into the sunlight.

I'd just like to add that I love this TV. I upgraded from a Hitachi 51F510 (CRT) and the visual difference is stunning! Everything looks more crisp, SD channels look a lot better as well. No green blob... But this blinking is a bummer!

If anyone knows the cause or solution to this, I know there'd be a few happy tv owners out there!

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Have not seen this problem on mine. Perhaps it is dependent upon how you are connected. I have my 8300HD connected via HDMI and the 8300HD in pass-thru mode.

I did get some blinking from a flakey 8300HD box which didn't care what type of pucture was up. Since you say it happens with your HD-DVD too, then that's not your problem.

Do you have any of the calibration DVDs? If so, are there any test patterns that cause the problem?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I havent had much response in my attempts to seek suggestions on this forum ...

Jay_Davis,

I've only connected it via component (as well as the 360 since the VGA sucks on this tv). I've tried different component inputs on the tv and all the upconvert settings (passthrough is one of them) on the box.

I havent tried any calibration dvds... however, I do have Avia laying around here somewhere. Might that do the trick?

WaldorfSalad,

I've been playing around with the picture settings and have experienced different results. Never anything better though. Right now the Iris is on Low and it seems to be worse. I'm dropping all the settings low right now to see if that fixes the problem ... I've turned the cooling on high ... nope...

It's the strangest thing! I've also noticed that sometimes when switching channels (from HD to SD or vice versa), it takes a second for the tv to figure it out and I see a really scrambled image. Once it took almost 5 seconds ... which seems like forever when you're staring at some crazy interlacing of the tv show you can hear perfectly fine

· Registered
1,858 Posts
It is possible you have some obscure electrical issues (such as bad grounding, etc) in your house that is playing havoc with the TV.

But before looking at obscure things, try to narrow down the problem. Try hooking the 8300HD up via HDMI. Also, you seem to have 3 devices hooked up via component, does that mean you are connected to all 3 component inputs (including the front) or you you have some type of a switch? If you have any type of swtich, remove it and only have a single device connected to the TV.

If you can find a specific image on Avia that causes the problem, then you have a repeatable test you can trouble-shoot.

Other things to try: Are you using a surge protector or UPS? If so, try without it. If not, try adding one. Try using an extention cord to plug everything into a different outlet. Try shutting off anything else eletrical that's anywhere near your TV.

In other words, simplify everything and try to narrow down EXACTLY what triggers the problem.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aha! Removed my video switch and the problem went away!

Strange, because I used to have all the same components hooked up to my 51" rear projection and it didnt have a problem!

I guess I don't need the video switch now though... because this TV has a separate HDMI input (my Hitachi tv had input #1 as component OR hdmi, not both)

Thanks for all the help, Jay!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.