AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I keep my 12sf or trade up to an h55.

106 inch diag 16x9 HC dalite screen.

Total light control

90% DVD

10%games and other.

Sitting 12 ft away from screen.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you're watching primarily widescreen, anamorphic DVD's, I would definately KEEP the 12SF since it doesn't have to scale for watching DVD's...thus, no artifacts! Also, it is dual 16:9 and 4:3 native, which the H55 isn't (only 4:3 native). The 12SF also has Faroudja processing to boot! ProjectorCentral.com seems to really like the 12SF for DVD's in one of their reviews. The H55 may have a little better contrast, but with the right screen (i.e. Firehawk), the 12SF can more than hold it's own.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ace,

"Trade up"? I'm assuming you haven't demoed a h55 yet? Before you do any trading, you might want to demo one for at least a day and compare them side by side. I did, and at least my experience was that the h55 would have been a "trade down". When you do compare them, look closely at how the h55 displays red. That was more than enough for me to not want to consider the h55.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the 12SF makes you feel you might want to trade it for something else?

I've looked at a lot of different projectors and I was hard pressed to find much to complain about with this little gem. The resolution might hurt if you want to sit closer than a 1.5 distance ratio to screen width, and if you are going to be watching a lot of HD material you'd be better off with a HD chip machine, but beyond that the 12SF / LS110 is amazing. On paper the contrast may not look great, but doing side-by-side comparisons I hardly could tell even the slightest of differences between it and projectors like the h55 that claim to have a 1000:1 contrast ratio. My guess is that InFocus was rather conservative in their specs, or more likely, the other companies were rather liberal in theirs. Either way, you'd be hard pressed to find another projector that will perform at a higher level than the 12SF, even if you were willing to spend a couple more thousand dollars.

Regardless, if you are serious about changing projectors, definitely demo as many as you can be sure to use the same components and calibrations so as not to give any one unit an advantage over another. IE: use the same DVD player, cables, and calibrate them using the same software (AVIA, VE, etc), and of course use the same DVD material.

Personally I had a blast testing out projectors, and would never advise anyone to simply buy a unit based on someone else's opinion. Specs only tell one part of the story, and reviews only another, the most important part is of course personal hands on experience!

Good Luck, and I am sure what ever projector you settle on, you will enjoy it all the more having confirmed that it was the right choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the low resolution of the 12sf makes small objects appear pixelated and stuff. Its pretty bad. from 12 ft back from a 106inch diagonal screen hc dalite grey stuff. Everything is washed out also (properly calibrated). But, I am in a small white room which is changing in 1 week.

I was wanting more resolution so I could sit at 13ish feet from my screen.

Also, I want better blacks. the blacks are pretty horrid on the 12sf, I have all excess light from projector blocked and black cloth on entire wall of screen (but not on other walls yet).

Should I still just keep this one?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sounds like there is something wrong with your set-up.

My screen is 96" diag (84x47) and my first row is 11' from the screen and there is little if no pixcelation. "the blacks are pretty horrid"??? Just what are you comparing them to? I've looked at a ton of projectors and found the black level of the 12SF to be one of the best, especially at its price range. The fact that you mention the picture as being "washed out" clearly indicates you may have some serious flaws in your system.

I suppose it could be any number of things (lighting, screen, cables, equipment, etc), but before you start dumping some of your gear, I'd bring over someone who really knows their HT gear and see if they might be able to point out what might be causing the poor images you are talking about. Also, if there is a problem with your projector, I'd have them repair or replace it before doing anything else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most definately not a problem with the projector. ITs a problem with my 20/20 vision. I can see individual pixels, and when you get objects that are in focus and are not many pixels big, they are blocky looking. Blacks are better than the 13hd I used to have (not saying much). The picture is great i guess, just dont care to have my immersion ruined when the earings on someone look like dangling squares when infact they are intricate pieces of metal.

You guys have me lost now, from what i was reading, the h55 was supposed to be great.

BTW, I dont have money to cross ship another pj. So no comparisons side by side.

Later

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ AceofAces

do the upgrade of the firmware; as AustinTeexas mentioned, your setup could be wrong; -> the have a new look.

Personalyy I would change to the H55 - in spite of his native 4:3 1 panel (024x768); the scaler and the deinterlacer of of the H55 will do a great job.

But also as AustinTexas mentioned - "the most important part is of course personal hands on experience" this should be your guide.

Try to get a demo of the H55 with your fafvorite DVD´s, have a look at the cables and the player, when the H55 was shown to you, than you might have a good base for your personal decision

hb

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
AceofAces

I have seen both the projectors you mention in action. Both projectors when properly set up approach the state of the art of what is available on the market today. Both projectors produce very satsifying black level within the context of digital projector performance. It is my conclusion that in both cases, with each projector, there was either something wrong with your setup or with your performance expectation level.

Lenny Eckian

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
"I have all excess light from projector blocked and black

cloth on entire wall of screen (but not on other walls yet)."

The back wall does the least good being black, as light can't reflect from it directly to the screen. How are blacks in dim scenes, when there is less reflection from the other walls?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.