AVS Forum banner

Keep 55" LCD, buy 60" Plasma, or buy 65" LED?

• 55" LCD Vizio E550VL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60" Plasma LG 60PN5000

• 65" LED Insignia NS-65D260A13

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am terrible at locking down a decision here. I am somewhat on a budget and wanted to get your opinions.

I have had a 55" Vizio LCD E550VL for just over 3 years. I do like it and have had no issues with it at all. But since I am a tech-addict, I feel the need to upgrade

Over the past few days, I also bought 2 other TVs that were what I thought good deals to compare. First a 65" Insignia LED NS-65D260A13 from Best Buy (open box for a net $750) and also a 60" LG 60PN5000 (new for a net $692...my first plasma ever purchased).

I have briefly set up each in the same location in my family room as the 55" Vizio. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Connected devises are: TiVo Premiere, Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, Xbox 360, and Wii U.

55" Vizio E550VL
  • LCD
  • 3 years old
  • Smallest of the choices
  • Good picture
  • Matte screen w/minimal glare
  • Family is used to it (wife though was fine as-is)

60" LG 60PN5000
  • Plasma
  • $692 to upgrade
  • 19% larger than the current Vizio 55"
  • Excellent picture and color
  • Zero motion blur
  • Glossy screen with a fair amount of glare
  • Noticed some faint horizontal bands when changing selections on TiVo menu
  • Just got last night...will see what family thinks

65" Insignia NS-65D260A13
  • LED
  • $750 to upgrade
  • 39% larger than the current Vizio 55"
  • Good picture and good color with tweaking settings
  • Slight motion blur with Blackhawks game notices
  • Matte screen with little to no glare
  • Kids think its great, wife thinks too big and not as good of picture as 55" Vizio

Of these 3 choices, which do you think I should get or keep? Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, here's a few photos showing each. I didn't take one with the 65" LED off, but it is very black and has slightly less reflection than even the 55" Vizio.

55VizioLCD.jpeg 251k .jpeg file

60LGPlasma1.jpg 1020k .jpg file

65Insignia.jpeg 188k .jpeg file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You have all 3 TV's in your home and you are asking us which TV you should keep. Seriously? How about the one that looks best to you.

You can't be in a better situation then you are in to choose between TV's. Will you really take someone else's opinion who probably never saw each TV side by side over your own who has all three TV's in his actual viewing environment. I am not trying to be an a.s but think about why no one has responded.

Also, you are not going to get many votes for an Insignia LED, LG plasma or even a 3 year old Vizio here. This is not really the forum where these 3 choices excite anyone.

But since I took the time to post here I will give you my opinion. While LG plasma's are at the bottom of the plasma chain, I have to guess it is better then those other LED's. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though because I have never seen a 65" Insignia LED nor a 3 year old Vizio. I did own a a 60PM6700 for a brief second though but do not know how the pn5000 compares to that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1510519/keep-55-lcd-buy-60-plasma-or-buy-65-led#post_24188614

You have all 3 TV's in your home and you are asking us which TV you should keep. Seriously? How about the one that looks best to you.

You can't be in a better situation then you are in to choose between TV's. Will you really take someone else's opinion who probably never saw each TV side by side over your own who has all three TV's in his actual viewing environment. I am not trying to be an a.s but think about why no one has responded.

Also, you are not going to get many votes for an Insignia LED, LG plasma or even a 3 year old Vizio here. This is not really the forum where these 3 choices excite anyone.

But since I took the time to post here I will give you my opinion. While LG plasma's are at the bottom of the plasma chain, I have to guess it is better then those other LED's. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though because I have never seen a 65" Insignia LED nor a 3 year old Vizio. I did own a a 60PM6700 for a brief second though but do not know how the pn5000 compares to that.

I do appreciate your reply (at least someone did

I know these are not high end, but I've searched various threads to try to get views on these and other TVs. Obviously for a budget TV, I'm looking for something that is an "upgrade" from what I have. Also, the plan would be, if I get a new TV, to move the 55" Vizio to the master bedroom to replace a 7 year old 42" unit.

After playing with them for a few days, I'd say what i am looking for is a 65" plasma with no glare for $700. Sadly, I haven't found that combo
Still working on deciding (without blowing the budget). If the plasma route, is a Samsung PN60F5300 really any better than an LG and if so why...they seem comparable?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Samsung definitely makes a better plasma then LG in general. I would think that the Samsung would have better black levels as well as better color although I have not seen or compared these 2 models in general.

All the less expensive plasmas will have highly reflective screens and wash out in daytime viewing but will give a nice picture at night.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1510519/keep-55-lcd-buy-60-plasma-or-buy-65-led#post_24190860

Samsung definitely makes a better plasma then LG in general. I would think that the Samsung would have better black levels as well as better color although I have not seen or compared these 2 models in general.

All the less expensive plasmas will have highly reflective screens and wash out in daytime viewing but will give a nice picture at night.

I would think that you should be able to qualify that Samsung makes a better plasma than LG.

I would also think that since you have not seen nor compared the two (in general), how can that help the OP?

Is it true that all less expensive plasmas have a highly reflective screen or is that just another assumption?

Just trying to keep the technical assistance on the up and up.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1510519/keep-55-lcd-buy-60-plasma-or-buy-65-led#post_24190994

I would think that you should be able to qualify that Samsung makes a better plasma than LG.

I would also think that since you have not seen nor compared the two (in general), how can that help the OP?

Is it true that all less expensive plasmas have a highly reflective screen or is that just another assumption?

Just trying to keep the technical assistance on the up and up.
Please do not be an ass.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Please answer the question(s).

If you are just stating a personal opinion, then say so. If you can provide "technical" info, then do so.

It's not fair to the OP to be misleading.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The Insignia is a crap brand & by far the worst TV out of the 3, keep it if the size impresses you more than the image quality.

If you like the plasma, return it & get a Samsung plasma, the price difference should be small, but the picture difference should be huge.

I would personally return both the LG & Insignia & wait out for the new line of TV's coming out in 2014. Not only will they look better, but they will be cheaper, so they could fit into your budget.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1510519/keep-55-lcd-buy-60-plasma-or-buy-65-led#post_24191305

Please answer the question(s).

If you are just stating a personal opinion, then say so. If you can provide "technical" info, then do so.

It's not fair to the OP to be misleading.
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer  /t/1510519/keep-55-lcd-buy-60-plasma-or-buy-65-led#post_24191381

The Insignia is a crap brand & by far the worst TV out of the 3, keep it if the size impresses you more than the image quality.

If you like the plasma, return it & get a Samsung plasma, the price difference should be small, but the picture difference should be huge.

I would personally return both the LG & Insignia & wait out for the new line of TV's coming out in 2014. Not only will they look better, but they will be cheaper, so they could fit into your budget.
Yeah, maybe a 60" Vizio E series.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, contrary to what my kids want for their games, I am going to take the 65" Insignia back to best buy this weekend. Great size , but the picture quality isn't as good or smooth as my 55" Vizio. The best picture is the LG 60", but just a lot if glare that I'd have to get used to.

I'll look at the 60" Samsung plasma at BB that I see on their website for $950. But per the specs, I can't see why I'd spend $300 more compared to the LG plasma.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts