AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this but have a questions I can't find the answer to. Anywhere. Any AV genius on here with the answer?

I am just about to start screening films as part of a small independent cinema. We're learning over time and building up our gear over time.

Here's the issue we are facing. We are using a denon an av 500 connected to multiple sources. The two in particular are an oppo 103D blu ray and MacBook both thought HDMI.

These are connected to two different HDMI inputs let's say 1 & 2.

We are using the MacBook for trailers of up and coming films, advertisements, selected shorts etc. the blue ray is used for the actual feature film.

When we switch between HDMI sources we are having signal loss, hand shake issues then projector finds the signal then source is switched. This is ok but not at all smooth and professional. We would like to switch between sources without the projector loosing the signal.

This is not my area but I assume there is some sort of mixer or switch with 'channels' rather than separate sources that could solve the problem. So the mixer keeps a constant signal with the device and you would switch or fade between sources to be displayed. This way the signal between HDMI and projector would not be lost.

Ideally we would look at editing and producing each film but don't have the capacity or luxury of doing this so looking for a work around to stop the signal from dropping when moving between sources.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
What you want exists, but it's not cheap. You're looking at something like a Kramer VP-728 (they have multiple models with similar features, and there are others from other manufacturers). As you say, the trick is to keep a constant signal going on the output rather than just switching the input signal through.

You can search online for "glitch free hdmi switch".

·
Registered
445 Posts
Gefen makes some "seamless" switchers that probably do what you want. They probably cost more than the Kramer, however. Like Chris said, these things aren't cheap. If you could live with component video cables, you could probably find some converters/switchers for much less.

-tm

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Sources - ensuring they are both Outputting the same signal format will take one potential 'glitch' out of the equation, though that could be tricky as the BD Player will likely be set to 1080p24 if the Projector is capable of 24p and its more likely the Mac is at 1080p60!

HDCP - if you are using commercially available discs they will be protected whilst the content on the Mac may not be, which then requires another process change in the Projector when you toggle Sources.

Audio - are you using HD Audio (via HDMI) from the Blu-ray or sticking with DD/DTS via Optical?

AVR - if you were to use DD/DTS via Optical and 'bypass' the AVR HDMI Input/Output and instead use an HDMI Switch (see below) that may give you a smoother change over.

Fast Switching - doesn't need to cost a fortune (though as above you have to try and ensure the two Sources are providing the same signal type to the Projector), http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Folks, Thanks very much for the feedback. The Kramer VP-728 seems to be exactly the kind of thing we need but we just don't have the budget... Are there any budget options you know of that will do the trick?

Joe, thanks for the suggestions. All that is a bit to technical for me to understand. I am very new to digital AV...

Leon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts