AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a brand new pair of cm9's with denon 4520ci receiver and a pair svs sb2000 subs.....well the cm9's lasted about 2 weeks before the the coils went out in 3 different bass drivers and completely blew out my tweeter..

i never played these babies passed 75% volume on a 190 watt per channel amp...(the denon 4520)

heres the kicker-when i called bowers they directed me to a tech and he told me that i cannot run the audyssey calibration with these speakers!!?? so i call my local best buy magnolia where i bought them, of course they've never heard of it. Long story short i send them out to get em fixed and after a month i finally get them back. well two weeks of playing them later and I've lost another bass driver..i am honestly baffled..has anyone else every heard of this happening? I'm kind of in a pickle because my local best buy is refusing to let me trade back in the stereo or speakers so I'm sitting here with over 6k in stereo equipment that does not work!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'd contact B&W directly, if BB Magnolia store is refusing to help. They do come with a warranty, right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd contact B&W directly, if BB Magnolia store is refusing to help. They do come with a warranty, right?
they do come with a warranty but obviously between the cm9s and the stereo i cant keep both. bowers may fix them but that does not do me any good when 2 weeks later they're blown..

is there any bowers reps i can talk to on here directly?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
550 Posts
Interesting. Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea why your speakers are blowing. For many years I ran a set of M&K 150's (also very inefficient speakers) with a Sony ES receiver (long story; now running Marantz separates). No issues whatsoever, including Audyssey. I realize M&K and B&W aren't the same speaker but both are fairly inefficient. I'm curious regarding why Audyssey isn't an option with B&W - not saying the tech is wrong - but seeking to understand.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Unless it states in the B&W ads or user manual not to run Audyssey or damage can occur, B&W is still liable for your speaker repair. Keep sending them back or sell them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in the time that i my cm9's waiting to be repaired or sent out i swapped in my old polk tsi400's with exact same settings and cranked em to high hell as much as i wanted. 4 months like that with no issues..i cant even get 3 weeks out of the bowers.

my issue i guess is not getting them repaired its the fact that they're obviously not gonna work and if i sell them I'm obviously not gonna get what i paid for them. which i have a huge problem with considering in 6 months I've only got to listen to them for a combined 4 weeks and now my only option is to just get rid of em and cut my losses? It was a major splurge and stretch on my wallet to get them in the first place, not to mention i bought the matching m1's and have them mounted throughout the room.... I'm wondering if bowers be willing to let me exchange my cm9's and upgrade to the cm10's ( me paying the difference) and if so if the cm10's would be less of a problem...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Time to cut your losses. Who says the CM10s will not have the same problem? That is throwing good money after bad. Get that blown speaker repaired and sell them. Yes, you will incur a loss. Chalk it up as a learning experience. There are many fine speakers on the market that are much cheaper and may be even better (and certainly better than the ones you own).

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Just a thought - With the 2 SB2000s I wonder where your AVR settings are? Particularly:

Fronts - Small or Large?
Subwoofer level
Subwoofer mode - LFE or LFE + Main?

On both my Denon AVRs Audyssey boosts the lower end (50 - 20Hz I believe), this is the only reason I can come up with to explain why B&W wouldn't want you to use Audyssey with the CM9s.

As you have subs, you want the Fronts set to Small, Sub Mode to LFE only. Otherwise you may be over stressing the woofers on the CM9s (although I would think they should be able to handle the output from a 4520).

I can't imagine how those settings would affect your tweeter however.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Time to cut your losses. Who says the CM10s will not have the same problem? That is throwing good money after bad. Get that blown speaker repaired and sell them. Yes, you will incur a loss. Chalk it up as a learning experience. There are many fine speakers on the market that are much cheaper and may be even better (and certainly better than the ones you own).
what would be considered better or equal speakers to the cm9's? kef r700?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
The B&W even with 92 db measured sensitivity are still some what of a challenge
to drive - they do dip to 3.41 ohms at 116 hz and phase angle comes in to play at
around 66 hz. Per HT Labs.

There is some stress going on somewhere - and Audyssey may or may not be part of
the issue.

If the speakers are being run full range with the sub - then there may be some issues

Those speakers may be limited in the power they can handle - and 3/4 volume is a lot
of power from the 4520 Denon.

How large is your room?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
yes sir i am. i just recently sent them out to get em fixed from last november..got em back 2 weeks ago and they're already doing the same exact thing....

what stands out to me is the bowers rep telling me i cannot run audyssey with these speakers as not one other person has ever heard of this....but apparently he's right.
I would look at what you are driving them with ..I wonder if there is an issue with your 4520
does it sound distorted when it is working?
Its not a power issue...your 4520 is only capable of doing the 150watts per channel with 2 channel driven
Its drops significantly in surround mode

I am running separates with a true 200x5 with all channel driven.....I have a complete B&W set up..CM10's..CM2 center..CM5's and I use Audyssey and its been fine since last November when I bought the B&W's

I would look at the 4520 as the culprit

Unless it states in the B&W ads or user manual not to run Audyssey or damage can occur, B&W is still liable for your speaker repair. Keep sending them back or sell them.
I would look at the 4520 as the culprit

Warren

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
The B&W even with 92 db measured sensitivity are still some what of a challenge
to drive - they do dip to 3.41 ohms at 116 hz and phase angle comes in to play at
around 66 hz. Per HT Labs.

There is some stress going on somewhere - and Audyssey may or may not be part of
the issue.

If the speakers are being run full range with the sub - then there may be some issues

Those speakers may be limited in the power they can handle - and 3/4 volume is a lot
of power from the 4520 Denon.

How large is your room?
I disagree with that

I am running a system with a lot more power than a 4520 can produce...all channels driven...and my B&Ws are working just fine

I dont think Audyssey is the issue....as my Marantz 8801 is working just fine in my system

I would look at the 4520

Warren

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
what would be considered better or equal speakers to the cm9's? kef r700?
the list is endless

CM10's would be the first and closest

after that B&W has a whole other line that is more upscale than the CM series
Martin Logan..etc etc

Warren

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
I said there may be - I did not say there was

The Denon was measured up to 172 watts 2 channels driven 8 ohms,
and 237 watts at 4 ohms

And yes, it would not hurt to get the Denon checked out.
I would check the 4520 out as the culprit
I am running a lot more more power than the 4520...all channel driven in another room with the Marantz 8801 and Audyssey with a full B&W set up....sounds great and no issues

I do have a 4520 as well in another room running book shelf speakers

Warren

1 - 20 of 61 Posts