AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
********** PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. IT'S OVERCOME BY EVENTS. ***********

I need some advice about potentially replacing my Denon AVr 5800 with a Yamaha RXv1900. Here’s my situation:

I just replaced my 9 year old RPTV with a Panasonic P58v10 1080p plasma. I plan to buy a Blu Ray DVD player. I currently have a Denon AVR 5800 receiver powering the following 7.1 speakers:

- M&K 750 (L, R, C) (4 ohm)

- M&K side and back surrounds (8 ohm)

- M&K 350 sub

The issue is that my 5800 receiver does not have HDMI. Because of the big expenditure on the TV, I don’t currently have the budget to buy a current AVR comparable to the 5800 (which was Denon’s flagship when I bought it in 2000). My initial plan was to keep the 5800 and buy a DVD player with 7.1 analog outputs. I’m currently looking at the Pioneer 320, Oppo 80 or 83, all three of which have highly-regarded audio sections. I would run the HDMI video directly to my TV.

However, the B&M that I bought the TV from is having a going out of business sale and I can get a Yamaha RXV 1900 for

Some more info: my priority for the AVR is movie & TV watching. (i.e., not music). I also need to be able to send a signal to another multi-zone amplifier, so I need unpowered multi-zone processing.

Although the 5800 has a lot of audio processing capabilities, once I go with the analog inputs, I’m no longer using them, so as I see it, really the only redeeming quality of the 5800 is its power (which is 170 watts into 8 ohms for each of the 7 channels).

By going with the Yamaha with 130 watts, am I losing more than I’m gaining? Is there anything you can think of that I missed?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
For less $500 I would get the Yamaha 1900. It will do what you want. I doubt you will hear a major difference in the sound between it and the 5800 for what you are using them for. Keep the 5800 for the other zones if for nothing else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18209598

For less $500 I would get the Yamaha 1900. It will do what you want. I doubt you will hear a major difference in the sound between it and the 5800 for what you are using them for. Keep the 5800 for the other zones if for nothing else.

Thanks for your input.

By the time I got there, it was too late.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbooker /forum/post/18210208

Thanks for your input.

By the time I got there, it was too late.

Do they have a 3900 they will sell for a bargain? If so thats also a very good unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18210343

Do they have a 3900 they will sell for a bargain? If so thats also a very good unit.

No, they're pretty much picked clean. The vultures have landed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts