AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I search on GOOGLE for plate amps and really only get like 2 different brands from the same "well known" store. Is there a way I can find more brands, better brands, more reviews and opinions?

Im looking for 2 500wt plate amps with basic settings on the back like volume, freaquancy, ect..Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Manic. Heck I searched not only today,but months ago even..lol...Sometimes search engines just dont work.

I have one very important question please. Its about hooking up my 2 sub boxes together.

BOTH boxes have r/l in and r/l out...for a total of 4 all together...

I know which one to use to get hooked up to my receivers sub output..Have that going. But going from one sub to the other is confussing. Thank for any help.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great!!...Getting some good fast replies tonight. I guess that means we're all sitting here doing nothing on a Saturday night..LOL...

So looking at those on the links...Which one is supposed to be the better? Good solid output, reliable..ect

Again, Thanks lots all..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/15584277

What kind of subs are they

Well originally I bought 2 DCM home theater subs. Bothe boxes have 2 12" DCM subs "or should I say" sub wannabe's in them. EAch box has a 150wt plate amp on them.

I have just replaced the subs in ONE box with ONE Memphis Audio M3 12" dual v.c....I have modded the box for it to work with it and it sounds fantastic.

Im going to do the same thing to the other box probably tomorrow. They sound pretty great with the plate amps already on them, but im wanting to get new plate amps soon OR a sepparate amp. Havent made up my mind yet.

BUt like I said in the post above...each box has l/r in...and l/r out..And like I stated, I have the one done and hooked up to my receiver just fine. It only uses ONE of the "in" on the sub. Which leaves the other "in" and both "outs"

Now I have to figure out if I run the outs to the other subs "outs" or "ins"...Thats pretty much it in a nutshell..thanks for the replies all

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Split the output on the receiver with a "Y" connector to both subs. Since the one works well from the receiver to the subs input, I'd do the same to the other sub.

The outs may have filtering associated with them...

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/15584391

Well originally I bought 2 DCM home theater subs. Bothe boxes have 2 12" DCM subs "or should I say" sub wannabe's in them. EAch box has a 150wt plate amp on them.

I have just replaced the subs in ONE box with ONE Memphis Audio M3 12" dual v.c....I have modded the box for it to work with it and it sounds fantastic.

Im going to do the same thing to the other box probably tomorrow. They sound pretty great with the plate amps already on them, but im wanting to get new plate amps soon OR a sepparate amp. Havent made up my mind yet.

BUt like I said in the post above...each box has l/r in...and l/r out..And like I stated, I have the one done and hooked up to my receiver just fine. It only uses ONE of the "in" on the sub. Which leaves the other "in" and both "outs"

Now I have to figure out if I run the outs to the other subs "outs" or "ins"...Thats pretty much it in a nutshell..thanks for the replies all

OK, so you are basically modifying your existing 12 cabinets with better woofers and want better power to go along with it, correct?

If so, you can go with the 2-500 watt plate amps as you mentioned, two of the Parts Express BASH 500s for about $450ish would be the most cost effective plate amp solution OR you could buy a Behringer EP2500 for $350ish and get twice the power.

You also mention that you used a DVC woofer, what ohm load were the coils? Dual 4 ohm coils would be a 2 ohm load, which most plate amps will not run, but the EP2500 would do fine with in stereo.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/15584438

Split the output on the receiver with a "Y" connector to both subs. Since the one works well from the receiver to the subs input, I'd do the same to the other sub.

The outs may have filtering associated with them...

You are 100% sure I can just get a "Y" splitter and hook 2 self powered subs up to my receiver???

That wont cause some kind of short or anything? If not, then that is fine.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardnok /forum/post/15584456

OK, so you are basically modifying your existing 12 cabinets with better woofers and want better power to go along with it, correct?

If so, you can go with the 2-500 watt plate amps as you mentioned, two of the Parts Express BASH 500s for about $450ish would be the most cost effective plate amp solution OR you could buy a Behringer EP2500 for $350ish and get twice the power.

You also mention that you used a DVC woofer, what ohm load were the coils? Dual 4 ohm coils would be a 2 ohm load, which most plate amps will not run, but the EP2500 would do fine with in stereo.

Im not going to doubt you as I dont know about these amps like im sure you and others do...BUT...They sure are cheap. You can get like 4000wt amp for 259$...Whats the deal with these prices vs watts?

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/15591871

Im not going to doubt you as I dont know about these amps like im sure you and others do...BUT...They sure are cheap. You can get like 4000wt amp for 259$...Whats the deal with these prices vs watts?

Evidently, you're used to mobile audio. It's fairly easy to make power from a near endless supply of 110v AC. The pro amps have always been relatively cheap (or, at least as long as I can remember messing with them).

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/15591871

The Behringer EP2500 is the value leader in power per dollar. Considering your situation with DVC woofers, I would most definitely think it would be your best solution, just budget another $20 for cables and a quieter fan.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardnok /forum/post/15601074

The Behringer EP2500 is the value leader in power per dollar. Considering your situation with DVC woofers, I would most definitely think it would be your best solution, just budget another $20 for cables and a quieter fan.

I dont have DCM speakers anylonger. I posted that I replaced those with some 12" d.v.c Memphis Audio M3's...Some bad mothas!!..lol

EAch sub box has 1 in it. Right now I only have 150wt plate amps on each one. Not very much power at all.

SO....If I were to get this amp would it be a considerable amount better then what I have? Also...Since I wont have the plate amps anylonger with the frequency controls on them and built in crossovers...WILL this new amp have thos things for me? AND will I be able to hook up BOTH sub boxes to this one amp? Thanks for all the input guys..

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/15601152

I dont have DCM speakers anylonger. I posted that I replaced those with some 12" d.v.c Memphis Audio M3's...Some bad mothas!!..lol

EAch sub box has 1 in it. Right now I only have 150wt plate amps on each one. Not very much power at all.

SO....If I were to get this amp would it be a considerable amount better then what I have? Also...Since I wont have the plate amps anylonger with the frequency controls on them and built in crossovers...WILL this new amp have thos things for me? AND will I be able to hook up BOTH sub boxes to this one amp? Thanks for all the input guys..

The EP2500 doesn't have any of those controls. Most people rely on their recievers for that processing. Also, one channel should power one woofer so one amp can power both woofers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts