AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about all these tv tuners that go bad. I took the lid off mine and noticed it's alittle hot in there. It's no wonder they go bad, these tuners run Really HOT!!!

I went down to my local friendly computer shop today and bought a 60mm, double ball bearing, cooling fan w/ the 4 pin power adapter that comes in the box with fan.

Some USED video card heat sinks that I got for for FREE!!

Two sided sticky tape (very very thin) the kind for heat sinks.

And two plastic zip ties. All for less then $20.00 Kool !!

Here are my steps so you can Cool your TUNERS :

1) Connect the 4 pin power adapter to the hard drive for powering the fan.

2) Put two sided sticky tape on each tuner.

3) Stick one heat sinks on each tuner.

4) Connect cooling fan to the 4 pin power adapter.

5) Insert plastic zip ties through vent holes above tuners.

6) Set fan above your heat sinks and zip tie it down.

7) *VERY IMPORTANT* Remove some foam from the top of the lid around where the cooling fan is mounted or you will get no air when you close the unit up.

***Just a side note, you might have a very slight noise increase, so rember to spend alittle extra and buy the quiet fans.

Three hours past when I took the cover off again and to my delight the TUNERS were COOL!!!!

Just my opinion, but I think some slight noise from an the extra fan is way better then fried tuners down the road.

ENJOY !!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone needs a cased cooling fan for there UTV I have two 60mm for sale. (Yes they will work for this Mod.)

They are like new, Double Ball Bearing, and made by Vantec.

These are the Vantec Stealth, model # SF6025L

They Do Not include the 4 pin power adapter, but you can pick one up pretty cheep at your local computer shop though.

If any one is interested I can post them at www.half.com for $8.95 + shipping, just let me know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update on the extra noise I was having from the fan install.

My fan had three wires (Red,Black,Yellow) I was using the red & black.

I switch to Yellow & black. Now she is back to low factory sound levels.

Red & Black= Higher RPM (more fan noise)

Yellow & Black= Lower RPM (Less fan Noise)

It has been 4 days since my new fan mod. and both TV tuners are running very cool still.

Can someone with a heat meter read the TV tuners Temp. before the Mod. install, and then again after to verify how cool they have become.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tropical Green, is there anyway you can put some pictures up to show your work. I just can't imagine how the heat sinks and the fan would all fit in there. I'm trying to do one now so it would really help. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is Pic. #1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is Mod. Pic. #2

I hope these help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check your local computer shop. They might have some junk video cards laying around that you can get for FREE. Just take the heat sinks off and your set to go!

Or you can buy some online.

Remeber to get the short flat square one's.

By the way, did the pictures help out any?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been looking all over on-line and I can't seem to find the right kind of heatsinks. Everyone has the long rectangular ones, but not the short flat square ones that I need. If anyone finds those somewhere on the internet, please post the link here or PM me. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldn't find the right type of heat sinks either. So I decided to try an old Pentium III slot A cooler. It is about 2x4 inches and fits over both tuners and has a fan attached to the heat sink. I used thermal glue to attach it and everything seems to be working. Before I did this I was having intermittent tuner failures a couple of times a day but have not had a failure since last Wednesday (4-16-2003).

I didn't have to remove any foam from the top of the unit either as there was plenty of room.

Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
How does one remove a heat sink from a vid card?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I just have to say that I admire the ingenuity of my fellow AVS Forum members.

Good job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My fan had three wires (Red,Black,Yellow) I was using the red & black.

I switch to Yellow & black. Now she is back to low factory sound levels.

Red & Black= Higher RPM (more fan noise)

Yellow & Black= Lower RPM (Less fan Noise)

How does one make this switch exactly?

Reider

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.