AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my HT PJ this next month to a IF7200. I have the FE CS2 currently running my LP530 , Xbox, etc. I'm debating whether I should keep the CS2, have the ROM upgrade done to it, or just use the IF7200's built in processing for everything. HT is used mostly for movies and playing games. Anybody in a similiar situation??? Thoughts and opinions welcome....:)

thanks....

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
1. If you have some down time, why not give the CS-2 a vacation and have its firmware updated?

2. When it comes back, you can hook it up and you can see the benefits that the processing gives you on that PJ.

3. After that, you'll be able to more easily decide if you want to keep it or not.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I guess it is questionable whether you would benefit from the ROM upgrade since FE hasn't fully disclosed what the new ROM exactly does. The only mention I could find buried in their website is that it allows you to output the "1080i RBG/DVI" res thru the DVI port. Posts from others (who I assume have newer CS-2 (manufactured since this summer), and therefore have the new ROM) suggest that it allows you to output 1080i RBG signal via the RBG port as well. If this is something you believe you would want to do with your new pj (that's scale to 1080i RGB and direct it out the RGB port to your pj), then ship that puppy to FE.

However, since the native res of your new pj is 1280x720 HD / WXGA PC, I would guess that you probably wouldn't want to use the 1080i RGB res anyway.

In my case, the native res of my CRT pj is 1080i. So I should benefit from the upgrade. I sent my CS-2 to FE earlier this month (22 days, 22 hours, and 30 minutes to be exact...:p ) for this purpose. I was informed when I got my RMA number that the current backlog was ~12 to 15 working days. (So, since my unit arrived on the 9/4, my unit should be going under the screwdriver any day now!!!) Once I get it back, I'll post if I can get 1080i out my RBG in the RGB format.

A word of caution: if you do decide to go for the upgrade, ask to speak with Aric Hasselbring at FE. He's is very familiar with this upgrade. I cannot say the same for others who handle the tech phone calls. I called FE tech support several times before speaking with Aric and found that at least two techs had no clue what I was talking about. Aric should be able to give you further clues as to whether this upgrade would be beneficial in your situation.

Good luck and congrats on your new pj!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Man, that's a bummer. When I called FE and told them my problem they transferred me to "the guy" who handles that. He took all my info, gave me a RMA# to send mine back, told me the charge for the upgrade was $90 and asked for a credit card #. He said they would not charge my card until the unit was upgraded. Sure enough, this month the $90 charge is there. I haven't received the upgraded unit back yet. Don't recall who I talked to but it must not have been who you did...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Man, that sucks. :(

Considering FE states that the CS-2 outputs 1080i without any mention of limitations, they should offer this upgrade for free. To do otherwise would seem like false advertising.

Also, i just check the warranty and it says:

"For a period of TWO years from the date of purchase, Focus Enhancements, Inc. will repair or replace the unit, at our option, WITHOUT CHARGE FOR PARTS OR LABOR. "

If you purchased your unit less than two years ago (which has to be right??), you shoul call and raise hell.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like I will have to make a phone call to FE. My unit is nearly brand new. I just bought it in July but when I checked the chip it was the old chip. I guess because the manufacture date was stamped as December '02.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Can somebody give me a pointer or tell me more about this CS-2 upgrade? I've been away from this forum for many months.

I've udated my firmware over a serial cable. Is there a hardware upgrade as well? I don't see anything on the FE's website.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you look in the CS-2's "Firmware Release Notes for Version 2.07", located in FE's download area, you can find this reference:

Quote:
1) A new resolution has been added, "1080i - RGB/DVI" which supports 1080i over DVI. This is an RGB only resolution, and adheres to the EIA 861 timing.

NOTE: This firmware requires SROM Program part IRMP-2026-01 (ECO-XXX) to be functional. With prior versions of the SROM, the 1080i -RGB/DVI mode will not be functional!
This is a hardware upgrade which allows you to use this new 1080i resolution. According to Aric at FE, CS-2s made since the early summer (June-ish?? if I remember correctly) should have the new SROM already installed.

If you desire to scale a signal to 1080i and output it in the RGB format, then you need this upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.