1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Balls. :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well George is going to once again mess with the original trilogy, but it didn't actually say that he would NEVER release the original at some point the way it was originally shown. Spielberg is releasing both versions of E.T., maybe Lucas will do the same ...

What bugs me the most about the Special Editions is that they don't mesh together. He inserts these CGI shots sporadically throughout the OLD films and it doesn't work with what is originally shot! I don't know how George can honestly look at these and think they work together. You can't mix a 1998 Jabba the Hut with a Han Solo from 1977 without it looking painfully obvious that you've done so. I caught the tail end of Return of the Jedi Special Edition on tv last week and when the Empire was destroyed and they cut around to different shots around the galaxy of people celebrating, it just looked ridiculous ... it didn't fit !! 1983 sets and special effects mixed with entire CGI computer generated cities in 1998 just doen't work ... does George actually think it does?!?!?!?! The other problem is George is surrounded by "yes george!", "Great George" people. No will tell him that his ideas suck, which they sometimes do.

Fans don't want the originals tampered with !! But it's his movies and if he wants to mess with them, at least give us the originals untouched! Why is this so hard for him to understand???

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm probably in the minority, but I think Lucas should make whatever changes he feels are right. He had to make tons of compromises when making the first movies because of a limited budget and the technology of the day. Now that he has the chance, how could he pass up the opportunity?

--Burke

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lando's city upgrade and the explosions of the planets en Death Star were well done. the rest were not necessary and rearely blended well indeed.

read again the interview, it REALLY seems, the most "everly constantly unsatified film director" :D won't give the original cuts on dvd.

now, if they would be released on D-THEATER tapes .... :D

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burke

it's his right and surely his imagination was heavily frustrated during the shooting of A NEW HOPE but at least let the public, who made his fortune and box office records, have at least the original and cgied cuts.

it's this ever lasting debate about who owns the film: the director or the public ? I would say both if the public made it a success. Just offer both versions.

Now sometimes things went the wrong way like for EATERS OF THE DEAD, euh, THE 13TH WARRIOR, which was NOT McTiernan's view...

here, it's not as if Lucas was forced by FOX to do this or that or not do this or that...

thank God SPielberg, on the pressure of the public it seems ( ? ) agreed to release both versions (the one with the shot guns and the other one with the twinkies, euh, the talkie walkies :D )

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
What bugs me the most about the Special Editions is that they don't mesh together.
I agree, but don't forget that the SEs were really just work-in-progress versions of the updated original trilogy. Work has not ceased on the updated trilogy since around 1995, by the time they're done they MAY end up looking good. I will wait and see the final product, but there's no way I'm selling my Definitive Collection LD box set.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
David I am so glad I bught the entire triology on VHS with THX Dolby Surround on them. To me on wide screen the films just look like they are 1.85:1 because for a year I have watched every vhs tape or TV cable servce in full just like they were DVDs. I do give them the correct treatment in all of the catorgories of being a 480i now from the the line doublers effects on pre-recorded video tape.

Until George Lucas finally releases the modified DVD, whenever he da*n well feels like it. Until then or even after I can still watch the original, I have too many vhs tapes that are OOP to get rid of what I have. Never to be seen on DVD ever, this post has just included the Star War Triology in the keepers! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.