AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten a lot good information from this forum, so I'd like to contribute a small but hopefully useful tip. It goes something like this:

To keep your PVR from losing a minute or a few seconds at the start or finish of your favorite program, you must keep your PC clock running on time. Fortunately a few sharp scientists and engineers have already solved that problem with a little invention called the atomic clock. How would you integrate this with your PC? Install an atomic clock utility on your PC, and have it update your PC clock at convenient preiods, say once per day.

Several of these utilities exist. I just found one I really like at http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock. Check it out and see whether it does the trick for you.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Good point.

For those that aren't aware, XP Pro allows you to point to NIST time server without running any extra apps. It works fine for me.

I don't think 2000 has this feature so apps like eswrite points out are good to try.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Axel--I thought I was sharing some novel info, and got to learn something in the process. Love this forum :).

Quote:
XP Pro allows you to point to NIST time server
jvincent--You mention XP Pro specifically... What about XP Home?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked into this. XP Home supports it too. In either case, double-click on the time if it's showing in your system tray, or go Control Panel->Date and Time, then select the Internet Time tab. By default, "Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server" is selected. You may also press "Update Now" to execute the update at once. One thing I don't like is that I don't see a way to change the automatic update from weekly to daily. I do like the fact that the XP built-in update doesn't run into Proxy server/firewall issues, which all atomic clock utilities I've tested run into.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Right. MicroShaft's implementation of NTP on Wini XP as usual, leaves something to be desired.

I have yet to see a PC that can keep an accurate clock for a full 30 days.

I use a 3rd party NTP application on Windows 2000 Pro.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I've been using Atomic Clock for almost a year on my Win 2K machines. Only issue I have had is with time servers disapearing. Fortunately they list over 2 dozen of them. so when they go away, it is easy to find a new one. The time of course is not absolutely perfect as there is some network time lag.

SageTV also has its own time server for PVR syncrhonization. I am not sure how good it is though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find the best way to do it is simply switch to the TV Guide channel and set your clock accordingly...they're the ones running the show! The Windows XP time sync servers are not in sync with the TV Guide time. They're either a few minutes fast or a few minutes slow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Windoze 2k is able to use internet time servers, but you need to use the NET TIME /SETSNTP command, and make sure the service is running (sorry, can't remember the exact details as I'm on XP now).

I think most ISPs have their own timeservers, mine is ntp.blueyonder.co.uk

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm using a freeware utility named "Dimension 4" to keep clocks on all my PCs on time. I'm using it on NT4, Win95, W2K, and XP, works on all of them. No problems going over a firewall either, my LAN has a LinkSys box shielding it from the outside world.

-Rob-

·
Registered
404 Posts
My machines keep terrible time. I have found the best way to fix this is change this registry setting...

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/985/

... simply divide your current entry by 7 to make the number of seconds between updates 'daily' instead of 'weekly'

Also if you have something really important that you schedule around, re-sync the time server once right before it, and it will always re-sync at that same time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aha, thanks kkrull. That's exactly the sort of info I was hoping for. In my case, after setting it to update daily, I'll do an update at 7:50PM, right before prime-time, when I record most of my shows, and it should have accurate time when recording starts.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by El Barto
I find the best way to do it is simply switch to the TV Guide channel and set your clock accordingly...they're the ones running the show! The Windows XP time sync servers are not in sync with the TV Guide time. They're either a few minutes fast or a few minutes slow.
That's incredible.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
The problem isn't so much getting my computer in sync with official time, it's that shows aren't broadcast at official time, so I still end up recording from 8:55 - 10:05 to be sure. The cool thing about PVR'ing is how easy it is to skip those 5 unneeded minutes. I suppose the issue would be recording one show and then a second show immediately after on a different channel.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use the atomic clock server too. Works pretty well, but I still set start and end times with a minute extra.

·
Registered
221 Posts
TV Guide runs the show - that's a good one.

Having worked in several master control rooms at television stations I can say that at least ABC, NBC and Fox go by the atomic clock (ABC even warned us about leap-seconds!)

Having said that, sometimes shows are scheduled to start a little after the top or bottom of the hour so you are still watching the last show when the competitor's show has already started. Then you try to switch and you think - oh it's already started, I'll stick with my original channel and watch what it is showing. Keeps the original channels audience is what the marketing folks think...

When everyone tries that (Supersize shows on NBC, anyone?) then the schedule can go out the window.

The TV Guide channel on my local cable is often off by 5 minutes - I think the clock is generated from the cable headend and not synced to anything.

Pad those special shows!

Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.