AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need hardcore gamers input... I play 5-10 hours of gaming every other day,and Netflix everyday while I’m at work for my dog.

I purchased the Z9D, because I was dissuaded with the LG OLED burning thread. Which is still true and why I enjoy LED/LCD.

However, the haloing can be incredibly obnoxious (I’m assuming with such high NITS), and I have a small “light leak”, I’m waiting for Sony to see what they say. Now my option like the other thread. I can essentially send back my z9d to Chris (Cleveland plasma), minus 25% + shipping. Sony seemed they could t see anything from my photos so they’re going to have a tech look at it. However, I have some options. I sit 6.5 feet away from my tv.

So my options are
A.) Keep it have Sony look at it (Z9D). 75” display
B.) Send back and get an A1E (as I have NOT seen prevelant burn in or image retention threads) or E7. 65” inch display
C.) Get a Samsung Q9F or Q8C? 75”

Thoughts ? Keep? Go for OLED get smaller screen? Or go to QLED?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I need hardcore gamers input... I play 5-10 hours of gaming every other day,and Netflix everyday while I’m at work for my dog.

I purchased the Z9D, because I was dissuaded with the LG OLED burning thread. Which is still true and why I enjoy LED/LCD.

However, the haloing can be incredibly obnoxious (I’m assuming with such high NITS), and I have a small “light leak”, I’m waiting for Sony to see what they say. Now my option like the other thread. I can essentially send back my z9d to Chris (Cleveland plasma), minus 25% + shipping. Sony seemed they could t see anything from my photos so they’re going to have a tech look at it. However, I have some options. I sit 6.5 feet away from my tv.

So my options are
A.) Keep it have Sony look at it (Z9D). 75” display
B.) Send back and get an A1E (as I have NOT seen prevelant burn in or image retention threads) or E7. 65” inch display
C.) Get a Samsung Q9F or Q8C? 75”

Thoughts ? Keep? Go for OLED get smaller screen? Or go to QLED?
Go OLED. Understand what potentially causes BI - saturated static yellow/red/orange elements displayed on the screen for hundreds of hours. Most games won't cause BI. Fact is OLED is simply better and the downsides are outweighed by the huge positives.

You have the best LCD/LED TV on the market (at least most reviewers view) and aren't happy with it. OLED is a no brainer.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go OLED. Understand what potentially causes BI - saturated static yellow/red/orange elements displayed on the screen for hundreds of hours. Most games won't cause BI. Fact is OLED is simply better and the downsides are outweighed by the huge positives.

You have the best LCD/LED TV on the market (at least most reviewers view) and aren't happy with it. OLED is a no brainer.
I primarily play games with static huds ... ranging colors. I was thinking of switching to the Q7 — seems good for games. But maybe not... would I be happier with an OLED, even tho I would have to lose 10” off the tv? And potential BI/SR... today I played 8.5 hours of gaming.

So is the Z9D better than QLED?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I primarily play games with static huds ... ranging colors. I was thinking of switching to the Q7 — seems good for games. But maybe not... would I be happier with an OLED, even tho I would have to lose 10” off the tv? And potential BI/SR... today I played 8.5 hours of gaming.

So is the Z9D better than QLED?
Outside of OLEDs, Z9D is as good as it gets.

QLED is not a good buy in any scenario, quite frankly.

Also, regarding BI, it's way overstated. Not in a sense that it's rare but in a sense that LCD/LED TVs have their farts as well (as you know from now having an Z9D), it's not like OLEDs are a faulty mess and LCD/LEDs are flawless. ;-)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am a hardcore gamer. I have a LG B6 OLED. I have been using it for 13 months now. 90% of the content sent to it is games. And I play long sessions. 3 - 4 hours on most weekdays. I've had 12+ hour sessions on free weekends. I personally have had zero issues with image retention or burn in (knock on wood). This is the best gaming tv I have ever used.

I've recently (finally!) started playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Been playing that game constantly for 3 weeks now. I was worried when I started because the Heart Containers in the top left corner stay on the screen most of the time (even when in your menu). But I have not experienced any image retention with them either.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I might try a Qled if you can find one at a good price...and can easily return it. Folks here are generally down on them because of their high prices and misrepresenting the quantum dot display. But every time I look at one at BB...Costco ect....they look great. Pricey, but great. And no burn in worries.

Does your dog have a favorite show?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I might try a Qled if you can find one at a good price...and can easily return it. Folks here are generally down on them because of their high prices and misrepresenting the quantum dot display. But every time I look at one at BB...Costco ect....they look great. Pricey, but great. And no burn in worries.

Does your dog have a favorite show?

Samsung charges too much for QLED, which is BS marketing term anyway. Costco doesn't even have the latest series, the Q9's (those are brighter than the 7's). Even the Q9F doesn't have decent off-axis viewing (blacks and color diminish a LOT). Seen them all with my own eyes. Panel uniformity can still be an issue.

Maybe micro-LED will be an improvement.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As an existing E6 owner I would not buy an OLED if your "5-10 hours of gaming every other day" is the same game for many months. From my experience 5-10hrs here and there is no issue, but if there is a static portion of an image on this display (life meter, boost, whatever - in yellow, orange or red) after some amount of hours (probably 100s ?) it can be seen there permanently when viewing certain colors on the TV. I don't see any game burn in on my set, yet, but I have 1/2 an MSNBC and CNN logo burned in. I am sure those two channels have been displayed on my TV more hours than any single video game's HUD though.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I would stay with the Z9. Would like to see the pics of the issues you are talking about though.

If the issues bother you that much, then I would go with an OLED. Losing the 10" will hurt, but the PQ is pretty unbeatable.

I game 4 hours a day, minimum, primarily on Destiny 2 and COD WWII, and I haven't had any issues with burn-in (LG OLED65E6P). I've got over 4500hrs on the set and have always played that many hours a day, on primarily a handful of FPS games (Destiny, COD, Battlefield).

I also watch a ton of YouTube, but don't leave it on for hours at a time for a pet to watch...

The Z9 is as good as it gets for LCD, currently. Q9 is not going to be as good, so if the Z9 isn't cutting it, then no point in getting the Q9.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If I could do it all over again, I'd likely pick the Z9D over my C7. Between the looming threat of burn in, and the increasingly visible near-black banding I see in content, I'd take a trade off in image quality for a little bit of peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Samsung charges too much for QLED, which is BS marketing term anyway. Costco doesn't even have the latest series, the Q9's (those are brighter than the 7's). Even the Q9F doesn't have decent off-axis viewing (blacks and color diminish a LOT). Seen them all with my own eyes. Panel uniformity can still be an issue.

Maybe micro-LED will be an improvement.
Well right now, during the holiday sales going on...might find one at a good price. Seems the 2017 Oleds are have issues with panel uniformity as well...so. Either way...burn in from gaming is the concern. Many folks get away with it...till one day they don't. Few have reported 3 years or 10,000 hours+ of heavy gaming. So the jury is out on long term gaming screen performance.

And we do know stationary pieces of imagery can cause issues sooner, as reported by members...and backed by the Ratings test.

So trade off's. A hit for off axis viewing and absolute blacks...in exchange for care free gaming and TV viewing for a happy dog.

I generally recommend Sony's for gaming.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well right now, during the holiday sales going on...might find one at a good price. Seems the 2017 Oleds are have issues with panel uniformity as well...so. Either way...burn in from gaming is the concern. Many folks get away with it...till one day they don't. Few have reported 3 years or 10,000 hours+ of heavy gaming. So the jury is out on long term gaming screen performance.

And we do know stationary pieces of imagery can cause issues sooner, as reported by members...and backed by the Ratings test.

So trade off's. A hit for off axis viewing and absolute blacks...in exchange for care free gaming and TV viewing for a happy dog.

I generally recommend Sony's for gaming.
Big turn-off for me is that Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Big turn-off for me is that Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision.
Yea...I have the new Xbox one X. But i'm not sure if it supports BV. My Sony 800 player does not. Might have to pick up a new player down the road if it proves to be a winning format. I think the Oppo players support DV.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I purchased the 75" Z9D -- and the light leak in the left hand corner, and blooming sometimes drives me mad when I'm gaming.

I game 3-4 hours a day, sometimes 10 hours on the weekend. But I've seen quite a few people that enjoy theirs for heavy gaming.

I can swap with a 65" C7 -- (I'll lose a little bit of money). But would I enjoy the TV more?

The Cutscenes on Video games look like blotchy...

Just want opinions. I play mostly games, typically Sundays I will watch walking dead, or American horror stories etc.

I've been warned, that the uniformity would be an issue for me, however, I don't know what that is or if I would notice it with gaming or the occasional movie?

(I attached the pictures of the light leak, that Sony won't cover).

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would stay with the Z9. Would like to see the pics of the issues you are talking about though.

If the issues bother you that much, then I would go with an OLED. Losing the 10" will hurt, but the PQ is pretty unbeatable.

I game 4 hours a day, minimum, primarily on Destiny 2 and COD WWII, and I haven't had any issues with burn-in (LG OLED65E6P). I've got over 4500hrs on the set and have always played that many hours a day, on primarily a handful of FPS games (Destiny, COD, Battlefield).

I also watch a ton of YouTube, but don't leave it on for hours at a time for a pet to watch...

The Z9 is as good as it gets for LCD, currently. Q9 is not going to be as good, so if the Z9 isn't cutting it, then no point in getting the Q9.
You and I sound similar the amount of gaming we do. I do worry about burn in but you use the tv similar to me. I just thigh get the Q9 cause I was use to my tv. But I do like he low input lag on the C7. I would also have some extra money after the purchase.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
The c7 will generally produce a better picture, but I wouldn't give up money and 10". Wouldn't be worth it to me.

I don't see any issues with your images.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The c7 will generally produce a better picture, but I wouldn't give up money and 10". Wouldn't be worth it to me.

I don't see any issues with your images.
The money given up I would still be able to purchase a 65 A1E for the price differences.

There is light leak from the circle when you look at the tv.

Anyways, just curious I'm HUGE on gaming thats why I'm wondering if some of the pixilation, or blocky cut scenes would look better on the 65". I came from the 65" Samsung UN8000F, which I thought was a perfect TV. I just wanted a newer TV.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd keep the Sony. I also do not see anything in those images that would warrant a swap, especially in comparison to the uniformity issues and burn in potential of the OLED.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts