AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my own movie poster frames using metal frames from MJDesigns (the kind where you buy two 40" legs, two 27" legs and put them together) and glass bought from Home Depot. The problem is that the posters sag after a week or so.

I then bought foam backing and glued the posters to them using spray adhesive. Success! At least for about a month. Then the posters started to have bubbles and wrinkles in them.

My next choice is to buy one of the frames that hold the poster on all four sides, like a Bass Loc frame. Will I have the same problem with sagging? What is the best place to get a frame like this? I don't want to pay more than $100.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello Glenn,

You can check out my snap frames @ www.spotlightdisplays.com You will not have sagging posters with these frames. Although I don't know exactly what you mean by sagging? Is your poster just falling down in the frame, or is it wrinkling and bubbling?

Your problem might not be from your frames, but it might be from Humidity. Is your frame on an outside wall? Even if it's not, humidity can still effect the posters. You could try a Dehumidifier. My frames WILL NOT help with the Humidity problem, but like I said, you won't have a problem with the poster sagging in the frame.

The only real sure fire way to stop the bubbling if you can't get rid of the humidity problem is to get your posters professionally dry mounted, which is a NO NO with posters in my opinion, and a lot of other collectors also. It just drops the value to nothing for the poster. This is kind of what you did with the posters you have, but if it was professionally done, you wouldn't have the bubbling. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The posters are falling down in the frame. The frames I bought use 8 clips that hold the poster and backing and glass together, so they are not held uniformly around all four sides.

I don't have any collectible posters, so I wasn't too worried about destroying them. However, if I shell out the money for some nice poster frames, I'll probably take better care of the posters since I'll be buying more of them. That's another problem with my current setup - it's a pain to change out the posters.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In some cases I have bought foam poster board at the local Hobby Lobby. I use this in addition to the supplied cardboard backing to inexpensive frames. The combination of the foam-core and cardboard keep the poster pressed snuggly to the glass or plexi front. Sometime I will add a small piece of clear tape at the top of the poster to keep it in position and from settling.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I received my snap frame from Spotlight Displays, and I must say it's very nice! I bought the wide frame and it covers up part of the edge of the poster - good for some posters which have a wide border or are less than 27x40" but not so good for other posters that have text or graphics running out to the edge. I just sent them another order for a frame with a standard size border.

The main thing - no sagging! The frame holds the poster evenly on all four sides.

-Glenn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
please note, it is spotlightdisplays.com, not dipslays.com
WOW, how bad is that, my own company and I spell the address wrong. Thank you for pointing that out Coolhand. Contact me if you want a frame and I will give you a great discount.

Quote:
I bought the wide frame and it covers up part of the edge of the poster - good for some posters which have a wide border or are less than 27x40" but not so good for other posters that have text or graphics running out to the edge.
In about 3 to 4 weeks we will have a wide border frame that only covers 1/2 in. of the poster on all 4 sides. The Wide Border Frame that Glenn purchased covers 1 5/8 in. on all 4 sides. Our Standard Border Frames only cover 1/2 in.

Thank you.

Robert Perry

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just wanted to let everybody know that I will be selling the inventory that I have left of the Wide Border frames that cover 1 5/8th of the poster on all 4 sides @ a discount. These are great for some people because they may have some room on the 4 sides of the poster that wouldn't matter if it was covered.

I have 13 27"x40" Wide Border and 7 27"x41" Wide Border left in stock. They will be selling for a very low price. Better then any where you will find. Contact me if you are interested.

The new Wide Border frames that I will have soon will only cover 1/2in. on all four sides.

I also have a standard border frame for a poster size 40"x55" that someone ordered and they wanted the wide border. So I will be selling that at a discount also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have to say that the frames from Robert at Spotlight displays are outstanding. I ordered four of the regular border frames, and he gave me a great price. The frames are solid and well constructed. They look great!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Glenn, If you are looking for cheap frames. I have been getting the MCS 27x41 frames from AC Moore. They are the type that have the plastic strips that hold the plexiglass, poster and hardboard backing together. They sell them for $15.99. But, you can usually get them on sale for 30% off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got rid of my cheap frames and bought some better ones from Robert at Spotlight Displays. I'm glad I did. The frames are great and Robert is wonderful at customer service.

-Glenn

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll add my 2cents on Spotlight Display's frames. They're easy to work with and look great.

I have two of Robert's frames as well. The posters really look good in them!

Bill

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
spend the money and get ether Bass Loc or Spotlights there great and worth it,

Believe me i had a HARD time putting out 350-400.00 on frames but it is money well spent,even if you buy 1 at a time-

here is a link to the Bass Locs-

also i have removed the Plexi from the frames and get ZERO glare-the posters hold tight and snug without the plexi-

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291948383

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just wanted to say that I am glad everyone is happy with their frames. Thanks for the posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.