AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm apartment shopping, though probably won't be moving for a bit. My toughest part is to find a place that will put up with my louder than average music as well as my practicing (I'm a brass player, and playing for hours on end sometimes bothers others, I'm not bad, but I'm no Chuck Mangione either).

What can be done to fix this? It can't be anything permanent as I'd have to take down my sound proofing stuff when I moved on. Any one have any ideas or should I just go get a house out in the middle of no where?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
just make sure you do it when the law says you can and your good to go.. also get to know your neighbors. there was a thread before concerning cops being called for the music and the sound was bearly audible. one reason i hate apt's.. for what you are suggesting will be difficult to handle but first off id suggest a downstairs apt. you can get sound blankets to put on the walls.. isolate the subs and speakers from the walls and flooring.. also search for garage sound proofing.. there was some good stuff in there on soundproofing a garage for a band

·
Registered
49 Posts
Save up some money and buy a house. It's such an excellent buyers market right now, with such low interest rates, that you really aren't going to get a better opportunity.

And on top of it, I hate apartments. I actually had a downstairs neighbor repeatedly complain to our landlord that I made too much noise walking across the floor. Not jumping up and down, not moving something, no music - walking. The idiot landlord had the nerve to ask me to wear slippers. And yes, I told her (and the neighbor) exactly what you're thinking...

Michael

MWC

freakin' slippers, right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Living in NYC, it's not very easy to find an affordable house, I'm apartment shopping in Brooklyn right now and it costs way too much money to buy a house there, I'm not even out of college, and getting together the downpayment for a house now would take a over a decade with the money I make now. Where do I live until than and how do I decrease the amount of noise that leaves my room?

And a garage? Haha. For what car? You know how much it costs to get a house with a garage with it as well?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
no i was meaning techniques in soundproofing not actually getting one haha the good thing about nyc apartments are they are built better ten other places.. so rugs and heavy drapes help.. egg create and spikes on a rug on a platform.. sound drapes over doors..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.