AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently upgraded from a 20" Sony CRT TV from ~1997 (yeah, I know
) to a Panasonic 42" S2 series plasma. We were running audio from the old TV through an Onkyo TX-8211 receiver (2.0 stereo and from about the same era) and a pair of Technics SB-CR77 speakers. It's a pretty ancient setup, but it still sounds much better than the TV speakers, and a new speaker system isn't in the budget right now.

Here's the rub: the new TV has an optical digital audio output and is capable of virtual surround. I'd really like to run the audio from the TV through our old receiver and speakers and be able to keep the virtual surround capability.

I found a neat little digital/analog converter at MonoPrice (product ID 6884), but I'm not sure if it will allow for virtual surround through our old equipment.

The audio output options for the TV are mono, stereo, and matrix. It has a separate option for virtual surround.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
stereo may be as good as it gets with the older equipment. Unless you are watching over-the-air broadcast TV with the built-in ATSC tuner, the optical output will probably down-mix any other external digital audio sources to digital stereo anyway.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootyBeans /forum/post/19615793

I found a neat little digital/analog converter at MonoPrice (product ID 6884), but I'm not sure if it will allow for virtual surround through our old equipment.

This is unlikely to work as the TV output is probably DolbyDigital and most such DACs can only handle S/PDIF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.