AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a Week or 2 i have the KEF 2005.2 system hooked up to a Onkyo 705.

After Audessey setup my settings are:

Front 150 hz

surround 80 hz

LFE of LPF 80 hz (this is recommended by KEF, at least it says so on the manual )

but what are the best settings for this setup?

I was thinking to put all speakers on 100hz and sub on 80hz.

Bit of a new territory for me, i used to have just plug and play stuff.

I tried asking this in the Official Onkyo thread but there are so many posts that it just get pushed back. :

Thats why i started this fresh thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the Onkyo 605 with the same KEF speaker setup, and ran audyssey- it spat out the same numbers you got the first time, and I decided to set the speakers to 100Hz and the sub to 80Hz. It sounds good. You may have to boost the subwoofer according to taste, because the audyssey setup is very conservative on the bass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for your reply.

I find that the talking trough the center speaker can be low at times.

You experience that as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure it's not just very dynamic content you're listening too. Many movies have HUGE stunning musical transitions, effects, etc, and quieter voices. Late night mode on the onkyo does the trick with this.

Try late night on either low or high (the settings my 805 has, assuming yours is the same) and see how how it is.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee20 /forum/post/0

I have the Onkyo 605 with the same KEF speaker setup, and ran audyssey- it spat out the same numbers you got the first time, and I decided to set the speakers to 100Hz and the sub to 80Hz.

Are you saying that you set the AVR crossover to 100 hz and then set the subwoofer low pass filter to 80 hz on the actual subwoofer ?

--Regards,

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkeofgij /forum/post/0

After Audessey setup my settings are:

Front 150 hz

surround 80 hz

LFE of LPF 80 hz (this is recommended by KEF, at least it says so on the manual )

I think the crossover you've chosen is set far too high. This is the point where mid-range information leaks through the subwoofer and the chances of exposing it's location is very high.

Set the crossover to 100 hz instead. The chances of pin-pointing the directional qualities of the subwoofer should be reduced substantially.

The LFE setting you have chosen is fine. Just keep in mind that there may be information that extends right up to 120 hz in the LFE channel. You may or may not miss it. Personally, the 80 hz option is the best compromise for minimizing localization and losing information in my opinion.

Enjoy your system.

--Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts